HDR software?

April 16th, 2014
Can anyone recommend HDR software I could download for free? Anyone used easyHDR Pro?
April 16th, 2014
No, sorry, I just use the hdr that comes in PICASA
April 16th, 2014
I use Luminace HDR 2.3.1 free software http://qtpfsgui.sourceforge.net/
This is one I processed with it earlier this week.
April 16th, 2014
AC
I use the HDR selections available on ipiccy (free online)
April 16th, 2014
@newbank

I like the Picasa HDR but also have FastStone which is a free download - you will just be asked for a small initial optional donation - I really like this software.
April 16th, 2014
I use Photomatix Pro, but its not free.
April 16th, 2014
I Googled, Free HDR software and this is a hit http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-high-dynamic-range-hdr-software.htm
At the bottom of the page is a link to show you visual comparisons: http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/best-free-hdr-software-samples.htm

Personally, I use Photomatix 5.0.1 and Nik's HDR Efex Pro 2 filter for PhotoShop, but neither of these are free.
April 17th, 2014
As xsqzme said Photomaix Pro is a great bit of software, and although not free is not expensive and definitely worth the money if you wnt to get into this!! Its a bit like saying "I want to get into photography, whats the best free camera I can get?"!! You have to part with a bit of cash to get what you want, or you'll spend forever wishing you had!
April 17th, 2014
I definitely agree with xsqzme and Andrew, bite the bullet and buy Photomatix Pro if you're at all serious about hdr.
April 17th, 2014
If you decide to buy HDR software, buy Photomatix Pro, it is the best.
April 17th, 2014
I like nik suite's HDR Efex -- similar to photomatix, I think.
April 17th, 2014
@taffy I have nik's HDR Efex and Photomatix, I thought that Nik's was good until I used Photomatix. Hands down Photomatix is better.
April 17th, 2014
@soren Worth purchasing then even if I have Nik? What did you like about it more? I love using HDR so it would be worth it to me to gain something -- just wondering what you see as the difference.
April 17th, 2014
@taffy They both have similar controls but the files coming out of Photomatix just look better and cleaner. The thing I like most is Photomatix Pro lets you be more subtle if that is what you want. There is a free trial for Photomatix so you can try it out for yourself for free before you buy. Check out Lost in Customs for a coupon code and some pointers.
April 17th, 2014
Photomatix all the way!
April 17th, 2014
@newbank save up and treat yourself to Photomatix it's about the best there is.
April 17th, 2014
@soren Thanks - I will.
April 17th, 2014
@vokesy @taffy @chippy1402 @orangecrush @soren @golftragic @skipt07 @quietpurplehaze @3rdxoff @lynnilou @richardcreese Thanks very much for replying. Will have a look at options you suggest. Buying not an option yet.... Two small boys to provide for come first.
April 17th, 2014
@newbank

If you want something all-singing all-dancing for free I'd get FastStone - the initial donation suggested was very small - and it is optional too.
April 17th, 2014
@taffy I have photomatix pro ..... I love it! :)
April 17th, 2014
@willowdragon @soren Hi Jake and Al, I just moved from the trial to the regular and already like it a lot. Jake, I see what you mean about it allowing for more subtle combinations. And it is sharp. I just stuck my first attempt in Flickr -- this is without really getting into all individual - sliders, etc -- and just fooling around with a preset and some modifications with sliders ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/taffyraphael/13915537453/). What's interesting is that while I didn't use the same presets, the image from Photomatix was what I wanted to get and could not in Nik HDR Efex, which is what led me to download Photomatix today after reading thread above.
April 18th, 2014
Merge to HDR in Photoshop, 32 bit mode, and finish the toning in Camera Raw for the natural look works well for me. Photomatix is probably better for the "processed" HDR look but since I don't admire that look I don't use it a lot. Truth to say, if I am simply looking to compress HDR images into LDR with a natural look, Process 2012 in Camera Raw (or Lightroom 5, same technology) on many single images that have not blown highlights works well almost every time without requiring a bracketed merge. And digital camera sensor technology only continues to improve in leaps and bounds.

If you are going to purchase Photomatix, don't consider purchasing anything but "Pro."
April 18th, 2014
I use HDR in Photoshop and find tremendous versatility.
Write a Reply