Which lens next for DSLR?

April 16th, 2014
I am a total beginner when it comes to SLR photography and my husband would like to buy me some more kit for my birthday. I have a Canon EOS 400D with a standard 18-55mm lens and a 75-300mm lens that I very rarely use.

What lens should I go for next? Or is it a total waste of money until I figure out how to use those I already have? If so, what is the next toy for my camera bag! Appreciate any advice.
April 16th, 2014
35mm or 50mm. I just used a 35 and it was like butta. made such difference with my photos. I'm asking for one of those and an external flash for upcoming holidays (birthday,etc.).
April 16th, 2014
@yzzilp lucky girl! I have just ordered myself a macro lens f2.8............can't WAIT! I currently use my 18 - 135mm lens the most.
April 16th, 2014
@amandal Just looked on Amazon and I think the 35mm is probably outside the budget sadly!
April 16th, 2014
I wonder how they run used? I can't afford one either. Keep hoping I'll get a side job or sell some photos or...can't just up and buy any gear sadly.
April 16th, 2014
This was a portrait taken with the 35 last week. I was impressed as heck... http://365project.org/amandal/365-year-2/2014-04-08
April 16th, 2014
I say 50mm 1.8! I use that most of the time. You will have to get use to using your feet as the zoom but once you do you will never go back!
April 16th, 2014
@amandal Beautiful shot, that's exactly the sort of thing I want to try (if I can get my two rascals to stay still long enough!) Great idea on used...will do my research.
April 16th, 2014
@tealgarciaphotography Thanks, that's the one I'm looking at. Seems that people tend to love it.
April 16th, 2014
I would love to have a macro lens or a lensbaby.
April 16th, 2014
I'm a beginner as well and was in a similar position when I wanted to get a new lens. I recommend the nifty fifty. I bought one recently and I use it more than my kit lens now. I agree with @tealgarciaphotography you do have get use to using your feet as the zoom. I'm still getting use to it but the quality of the images you get are awesome. I bought one from Bristol Cameras for £80 but it's worth it.
April 16th, 2014
50 1.8. Best present I ever got :)
April 16th, 2014
@yzzilp look back at your photos and see what focal length you use the most, you may find that most are in a certain range 50mm 85mm etc. Then see if there is a nice prime around that focal length and finally get the fastest lens at that range you can afford.
April 16th, 2014
@yzzilp If you can afford to get the 50mm 1.4 do it but for the price the 1.8 is fabulous!
April 16th, 2014
Personally, I'd try a :super zoom like the Tamron 18-270 http://www.uniquephoto.com/product/tamron-18-270mm-f3-5-6-3-af-di-vc-pzd-for-canon-eos-afb008c-700/ or the "equivalent" Sigma 18-250 http://www.uniquephoto.com/product/sigma-18-250mm-f3.5-6.3-hsm-os-for-canon-883101/. Either would replace both of the lenses you have without having to change lenses going from telephoto to wide angle. Both weigh under 20 ounces. Make sure you look for the latest version of either.

You can get the Tamron for less than US$450 and the Sigma for less than US$350. Canon have nothing equivalent at these price points.

They are not professional lenses, no lens at this huge mag factor could be perfect throughout the whole focal length range, but they get the job done, have great optical stabilization (essential for long zoom), have pretty darn good auto focus internal motors, and are both favorites of many beginning to intermediate shooters.

After you get used to shooting throughout the whole range, then worry about what, if any, *prime* lens (single focal length) you might want to invest in next as a "specialty." Or go "macro" or go "super wide." Or "fast" f/1.8 or f/1.4 if you like shooting in very low light. But I wouldn't start with any of those. My opinion only of course...
April 16th, 2014
@frankhymus Thank you Frank, I had not even considered anything other than a Canon lens. I used to have a Sigma lens on my old SLR and I really liked it.
April 16th, 2014
I spent a year with a 18-55 kit lens until I saved up for a 50-300 lens which has mostly stayed on the camera scene, until I save up for a prime 50. Get yourself a reversing ring and use it with your 18-55 kit lens and this will open up a whole world of macro photography to you. Look on YouTube for a how to and on ebay for a reversing ring for about £3.
April 16th, 2014
I think I would go for a prime. Either a nifty fifty of the Canon 100mm f2.8 macro lens. I wouldn't buy the nifty fifty second hand because it is so cheap anyway, but would definitely look for the macro one second hand. I think you would have great fun with either.
April 16th, 2014
nifty fifty - one of my fave lens and really good value
or if you have a bit more money to splash a macro lens will introduce you to a whole new world
April 16th, 2014
Thank you all, looks like the nifty fifty is winning....
April 16th, 2014
Go for the 50mm! You won't be disappointed!
And Happy Happy in advance :)
April 16th, 2014
You inspired me to do this:
I have been thinking lenses since I was given some money at christmas, asking advice, and some people say "invest in the best lens you can!" while others say "great images are made with kit lenses!"
It's hard to figure out.

I have the 50mm 1.8, but it's over 15 years old and from a film camera (any difference now?). My kit lens is 18-55, F3.5-5.6. That's it. Using a crop-sensor DSLR (Canon Rebel).

The two lenses do make slightly different results, but not much.
Would a much more expensive lens make much better pictures?

I am appreciating this thread, and all your ideas.
April 16th, 2014
It depends what kind of photos you like to take... I personally do not love my nifty fifty and I almost never use it... Sure it's fast and priced right (I have the f/1.8), but it's exactly the wrong focal length for the things I like to shoot... Mind you, I am in the minority - and maybe it will be just right for you... But I would start by thinking what you like to shoot - street, landscape, portraits, bugs and flowers, long exposure water shots, night photography, architecture, etc... Also might help us if we had a sense of the budget... My favorite lens is the 17-55mm f/2.8 by canon, but it's kinda pricey,..
April 17th, 2014
It really depends on what you're shooting, but I doubt you'll be disappointed by the 50mm f/1.8!
April 17th, 2014
Is the 400D a cropped sensor camera? Cuz that will make a big difference in how useful the 50mm is.... For me, it's kind of too long to shoot inside my house, which is exactly where the F1.8 would otherwise be so helpful.

A 30 or 35mm lens on a cropped sensor camera is like a 50mm lens on a full-frame camera (or an old film SLR).
April 17th, 2014
I'm agreeing with most everyone. I started with the 18-55, and 75-300 zoom. I shoot a lot of wildlife, so I find sometimes I could use a little longer focal length, maybe 400mm, and with those shots you need fast too! The smallest f/ stop you can afford.

BUT, I also take a lot of low light shots - bugs outside, over cast days, and sometimes I even shoot inside.

I found that I was always reaching that exposure break point where I just didn't have enough light at my other lenses (f/3.5 the lowest) So.. I decided for price, I needed the light more than I needed the extension of focal length at this time.

Got the 50mm f/1.8 for Christmas. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Canon. The optics are really good and crisp because it's prime. I can shoot indoors! Which is nice. Just always keep your speed at 1/50th or faster if you are hand holding to avoid blur.

That way, you have a lens allows you to have a very wide range of lighting conditions you can shoot in - f/1.8 to f/32. Huge range.

I think your 400d is a crop sensor (like my 350D). And yeah, the 50 is stuck at 50mm. Take your kit lens, put it on your camera, and set it at 50mm and start walking around for an afternoon shooting at only that length. If it drives you insane, then there you go. Not for you. There is no zoom, so you have to move around closer to your shot. But, it's actually really really good to get used to that. You start thinking more about filling the frame, and which shots you can get, and when you should zoom and not zoom.

It's nice glass, it's cheap, the photos are nice, doesn't cost much, pick it up and use it. Then go for the $400-$600 lenses after that.

I took this shot with it today, indoors at f/10 on a tripod
April 17th, 2014
Joe
Well I would start by asking what is it that the two lenses you have are missing for your photography? Or are they fine and maybe you want to try some other kind effect/style? If the latter, then maybe a macro to give a 'different' kind of shot. Or if the kit lens is too slow, then a prime lens may be in order. For a prime lens, I'd recommend to you a 35mm. The reason for that focal length is that 1) you've said you mostly use your kit lens which means you usually shoot at 50mm or less, and 2) your camera is a crop sensor. I use my prime lenses almost exclusively in low light situations, and most of the time that is indoors. With the 50mm on a crop sensor I'm always too far away and struggling to maneuver for a shot whereas the 35mm is much much more convenient...and that would be because the 35mm on a crop sensor is equal to a 50mm on a full frame. Or, if the you think the biggest frustration is that you would use the full range of your lenses more often (i.e. 18-300mm) but don't because you prefer not to carry multiple lenses or change them often, then I would go with Frank's suggestion for a cost effective zoom.
April 17th, 2014
Depends on what you want to shoot...
I got my 50mm f 1.8 a few weeks before I got my 100mm Macro 2.8. I am a huge macro fan, esp. bugs, but really anything. And, that macro is just a good lens. Some people say they make great portrait photos. I love my 50 mm also! It produces some dramatic results. It is really a toss up....but I think I'd take my macro over my 50. I shot this with my 50mm the other day though...and loved the results.

But then again, my macro lens can do this:
April 17th, 2014
Personally If you've only got kit lenses, id be looking at a sharper everyday lens. A 24-70mm f2.8 in either Canon or Tamron.
April 17th, 2014
@adambralston you summed up my predicament exactly! I'm not getting enough light indoors and in shade so I can only get to about F/4.5. I'm going to set my lens as you suggested - great advice thanks!
April 17th, 2014
@rellimdj Thanks for the advice about 35 vs 50. I had discounted the 35 as too expensive but hubby is very keen on Frank's single lens idea for travel and it's about the same price!
April 17th, 2014
@espyetta great photos, I'd love to get into macro but I suspect I am better off learning the basics for now.
April 17th, 2014
@bsheppard thanks for the illustration!
April 17th, 2014
@yzzilp I love my 18 to 200 "travel lens" because it works in most situations and is on my camera 90% of the time. I have the Canon one but I think Tamron do something similar. I read in one of the mags that Tamron are coming out with 15 to 300 but you might find that will give shake problems.

If you want to shoot portraits or low light indoors, you might consider a prime lens. I have the 50mm 1.8 but you can may more money and get a 1.4 or lot more for a 1.2. However, I only use mine in very specific situations and the travel lens does the versatility job brilliantly.

I think it is worth going on to one of the review sites - I use www.dpreview.com - and making comparisons because there is so much that is available and when spending decent money, it is always good to be well informed.

Candia
April 17th, 2014
I love threads like this and all the wonderful advice from us enthusiasts. My advice is this.
Don't buy anything yet. Just stop and look. It is possible to throw hundreds of pounds/dollars at photography and end up with very average snap shots. You have to identify what kind of photography you want to do.
You have a good focal range already and can do a huge amount with what you have got. Your kit lenses are very capable, you have to learn how to use them. As you have already stated, you are a beginner.
I found by doing this project I started to fav images, and then when reviewing those favs I identified what I valued visually. Then I tried to learn how to recreate the techniques of others and try to develop my own skill.
Learn with what you have got already and think about what you want to achieve. You will find the focal length that suits you and then can consider what to buy.
Try fixing your 18-55 on 50 and not zooming at all. Learn how to use the lens on manual, how the aperture and ISO work. Then fix on 35 and see if you like that focal length. Experiment don't spend.....yet.
I have a 50mm prime and I love it. I have kit lens 18-55 and use it rarely. I have a lensbaby and am in love. It is cheap, versatile and forces me to think. I like what I can do with it but it is not for everybody and I could not have learned how to use it unless I had the experience with my 50mm.
Identify what you value visually and don't be in a rush to do it. Take your time. Hope this helps.
April 17th, 2014
It really depends on what you like to shoot, but I'm with a lot of other people, I just love my 50mm 1.8. Great for low light and portraiture. Street shots look awesome, and the most important aspect......Bokeh! They have the most amazing Bokeh. You can also use it for street shots as well. Here is my latest street view, and my latest Bokeh fave.

April 17th, 2014
I'd say a 50mm - I use mine all the time and love the depth of focus you can get with the 1.8 f stop. I recently picked up some extension tubes off the internet really cheaply (£5) which is a cheap way to try out some macro work, and will fix onto all of your current lenses. You do have to do all the settings manually and low light can be challenging, and you get a very short range of focus but still worth it.
April 17th, 2014
@karlow75 I had pretty much decided on the travel lens until you said the magic word bokeh!
April 17th, 2014
@cgarner great idea on the extension tubes - the nifty fifty is back in the running again.
April 17th, 2014
Thank you all for your wonderful advice. @spanner I know you are right about learning first which is where the question came from......but new toys are so tempting!
April 17th, 2014
Kev
The nifty fifty hands down.... Cheap, sharp and will teach you loads (just don't necessarily expect those f1.8 shots to be easy). And bokeh.... Speaking of which, havent done a bokeh shot in ages....
April 17th, 2014
@yzzilp Yeah, I mean, that way you will kind of get an idea of what 50mm looks like on your camera. Remember that it will be pretty tight quarters with the 50mm on though. And you have a crop frame sensor. It would look a lot different on a full sensor - it would look like wider angle.

But at any rate, with your kit lens set at 50mm you'll get the idea of the focal distance and how it affects your shot, but you won't really know what the light will look like because you'll only be at f/5 or f/5.6. F/1.8 is something like 3X the light, and it will come through the viewfinder as brighter as well.

Keep in mind that the f/1.8 50mm is an EF lens on the Canon. So, it will work with a crop frame OR full frame camera. The kit lens is probably EF-S, it will only work on a crop frame sensor camera (like ours).
April 17th, 2014
@yzzilp Bokeh is really more a matter of the distance from the main subject in focus to the background relative to the distance from the camera to the subject. If it is more than 3X then you will probably blur the background irrespective of the f/stop. Similarly for "close" shots, less than 18 inches from the plane of the sensor of your camera to the subject. In those cases you will probably find that the DoF (depth of field) is quite narrow irrespective of the f/stop.. If you are at all interested, search for "hyper focal distance" to delve into the whole subject.
April 17th, 2014
@yzzilp no problem. You will learn with a prime. It stops you from becoming lazy and helps you consider composition and view point. You have to work to get a good shot and you have to think. It is rewarding and frustrating at the same time. If you want to learn get a 50mm or 35mm prime and be prepared to think.
On a separate note I love my Lensbaby. It has a 50mm focal length and has interchangeable optics to vary its quality. There are wide/super-wide and telephoto accessories which can be purchased separately. It is a manual lens but that helps the learning curve. It suits me because I am not bothered about "sharpness". You have to manually change the apertures which is easy and makes the process more fun. I love my prime which is my go to lens for purity. I use my Lensbaby for pure enjoyment.
Learn what you value visually. Then purchase and have fun.
April 18th, 2014
I have owned 3 of the Canon 50mm f1.8 lenses and they are just lovely. Especially for the price. But the advice of most has started with "it depends what you shoot". If you want a versatile lens which means you don't have to keep switching, then a superzoom is it. But the 50mm does teach you a lot about open apertures and the nice effects that can be achieved, they are fast so therefore can help with getting shots that other lenses can't especially in low light, and they do help to teach you how to get your shot by moving your feet. It's a cliche and one used by many pros but theres a reason for that :)
April 18th, 2014
The 50 1.8 is great, but not amazing on the cropped sensor. I would look for a used 35 f/2, the older model, that was released sometime in the 1990-s and whizzes while focusing, not the USM model that is new and expensive, it is optically really good. I don't know what they cost in the U.S, in Europe you can get them used for under 200 euros. I would guess around the same in dollars, since stuff is usually much cheaper in the U.S.
April 19th, 2014
@yzzilp
I started out with the standard kit lenses (18-55mm and 50-200mm), and added a cheap 70-300mm with 'macro functionality'. I've replaced the two kit lenses with a single Sigma DC 18-200mm 1:35-6.3 zoom lens; a choice I'm still happy with. (It's a perfect all-round lens.) The 70-300mm I've replaced with a more expensive Pentax DA 1:4.5-5.8 SMC 55-300mm tele zoom. Those two are the heart of my 'travel kit'. If have room and don't mind extra weight, I usually bring a fisheye or my Sigma EX 30mm 1:1.4 DC, as well. I have a number of other lenses, but only bring them when they serve a purpose.
April 19th, 2014
@frankhymus As Frank points out, the super range lenses are an excellent option while you develop your style and preference. I used the Sigma 28-300 almost exclusively for about 5 years before I started to upgrade lenses. Focus can be a bit slow, and the super range lenses aren't fast lenses (I believe the 28-300 was f/5.6 at the long end) but the image quality is good and they make great travel lenses. Develop your style and photography preference before starting to really throw down cash on a broader lens set.
April 19th, 2014
Nifty fifty, for the money can't be beaten & will get you hooked on 50mm's!
Write a Reply