Question about Modifying Film Camera to Digital Camera

April 18th, 2014
My husband and I do WWII re-enactment and love to photograph the action. But many of the events that we participate in restrict the use of "modern" cameras in the battle scenarios. Since that's where the best pics come from, we want to convert our non-working ARGUS C-3 into a shell to hide a digital P&S. (Here's a picture of a C-3: http://mattsclassiccameras.com/argus_c3.html)

Gutting out the old camera is relatively easy and we can even add a pin to the existing shutter mechanism to hit the shutter button on a digital camera (sort of like the pins in the waterproof housing that my sister uses when scuba diving).

The problem is that I don't know much about digital P&S cameras since I use a DLSR.

At first glance at the P&S cameras on display at the Air Force Base exchange, most of them have the lenses offset to one side or another.

Is there a P&S that takes good, clear photos that will fit inside the 4.6 x 6.8 x 13.0 CM body of the C-3, that has its lens in the center of the camera so it can shoot through the metal frame of a gutted Cintar lens?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
April 18th, 2014
I have a Canon Powershot A560 and it looks like it would fit in your old camera body, but my thought is that your best bet would be to go to Walmart or a store like it with the empty camera body and see what works that way. Although mine takes great macros and decent landscape shots, it might not be what you're looking for as far as candids and the kinds of shots you'd be taking at these reenactments.
April 19th, 2014
@markjohnston Thanks for the link!

Now to go find some tools..... :-)
Write a Reply