Tripod advice please.

April 19th, 2014
I am looking at buying a new tripod for a couple of reasons. Number one is because I just bought a spanking new camera that is worth more than my car and I want something that is going to be up to the weight of it (unlike my old budget tripod), number two is my old budget tripod just broke (It really did.... it's honestly just a coincidence I wanted a new one at the same time!).

I am looking for something that is easy to set and versatile enough for a variety of landscapes and night sky shots (these being my two favourite uses for a tripod). Preferably light and easy to carry but I am a big bloke and don't mind carrying a bit of weight. It must have a weight rating enough for a decent weight kit, may camera isn't too heavy but some of my lenses have some weight and I would rather not be worried about it falling off.

Anyone who has a decent tripod and wouldn't mind sharing their experiences of its pro's and cons would be much appreciated!
April 19th, 2014
I rented this for a week and while I loved it completely, when it came to my budget and anticipated use I bumped down to the aluminum model. I can actually nestle this with my camera bag and can put it in a rolling overhead type suitcase. Any bigger and I would be checking luggage.
http://www.indurogear.com/products/carbon-ct-series-8x-tripods/

You really want to spend a lot of consideration on the head almost more than the tripod itself.
April 19th, 2014
I have a camlink tripod ..... it copes well with my canon 6d and my sigma 105-500mm lens. The one I have is not the best for carrying around but I am sure there will be lighter ones available. Its a good sturdy tripod though and I like the fact that the legs extend so that it is tall enough to stand and look through the camera for moon shots without me having to bend down.
April 19th, 2014
I had to purchase a tripod a couple of years ago when I took my first landscape course. Once I was actually on the course I soon found out not to purchase a cheap tripod! ;)

My instructor and a few others had the Manfrotto series. When I returned from the course, I purchased the Manfrotto 055CXPro3 Carbon Fiber tripod. I have used it quite a bit and love it. It's strong but light at the same time due to the carbon fiber legs and I have been up to my knees in water and some slippery slopes and it held its ground. It's expensive - but excellent quality and versatile.

You can see the series here:
http://www.manfrotto.ca/collection/8374.58969.1079729.0.0/055_new_series

And you can read some reviews here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/584476-REG/Manfrotto_055CXPRO3_055CXPRO3_3_Section_Carbon_Fiber.html

As Paula said, the biggest dilemma will be which head you will purchase - so many options and it gets even more expensive! ;)
April 19th, 2014
Can't go past Manfrotto or Gitzo but by the time the head is included it's some serious cash.
Consider looking at some of the Chinese ones on ebay. Weifeng and Benro. I purchased a very high spec Weigeng one for low dollars and the quality is superb, easily as good as my mate's Manfrotto but 1/5th of the cost.
April 19th, 2014
I'll also mention Benro, check fleabay for them. I have an aluminium model of theirs and it's rock solid, dust, dirt and waterproof, not too heavy, has only four leg sections, so it's a bit longer and is rated to 8Kg! It weighs about 2.5Kg by itself. As already mentioned, your head is the important bit, I now have a geared head for accuracy of levels on the three planes.

I reckon the Benro is equal to the Frott'os and Gitzo's! Having compared it to some acquaintances gear.
April 19th, 2014
I agree with @6plus1blurred. I have a Benro too, and I recommend this brand. And less expensive than Manfrotto.
April 19th, 2014
@phillyphotos @willowdragon @kass @kporte @scatcat Thanks so much for all the advice guys... thats given me plenty to think about. I really appreciate it :-)
April 19th, 2014
@kass I also use the Manfrotto 055CXPro3 Carbon Fiber tripod and have loved it and used it a lot. Sometimes the head connection (I don't have the right vocabulary) needs tightening, but I suspect that could happen after a lot of use for any tripod. It's very versatile, sturdy, trustworthy, and not that heavy to carry around on a photo shoot.
April 20th, 2014
This is the one I purchased if you're looking to spend less money---it's pretty versatile---holds up to 13 lbs....it's been great for me so far!! http://www.amazon.com/Dolica-AX620B100-62-Inch-Proline-Tripod/dp/B001D60LG8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1397965696&sr=1-1&keywords=tripods+for+digital+slr+cameras+proline
April 20th, 2014
@kporte Keith can I ask how much you use your tripod to do your macros of bugs or are they mostly hand held?
April 20th, 2014
@gazbadger I've had a few tripods over the years but the Manfrotto one that I have now is easily the best. You can buy interchangeable heads (I only use one) and they rotate on a ball-and-socket arrangement that is easy to adjust (no thumbscrews to turn). The more expensive Manfrotto's are made of carbon fibre and are extremely light. My budget would only run to a standard model, which can be a bit heavy, but it's absolutely bomb-proof. I hear that Giotto tripods are also pretty good. Here's a link to the Manfrotto site http://www.manfrotto.co.uk/category/0
April 20th, 2014
@taffy @rlaughy @cindyloo @pistonbroke Thanks again guys... all great suggestions. =)
April 20th, 2014
@kporte I too would be interested to know the answer to @macromover Jan's question. I use a tripod for macro still images but I imagine bugs are tougher to use a tripod for?
April 20th, 2014
@gazbadger I have always hand held for bugs ...... gives far more flexibility.
Write a Reply