What moves you to hit "fav"?

July 22nd, 2014
I'm curious to know what criteria you use to decide when to hit the "fav" button. Do you "fav" photos that move you? Or do you look more at technique? Do you tend to "fav" the same types of photos over others (i.e. landscapes, cats, abstracts, etc.)? Or do you "fav" because you understand the work that goes into creating a masterpiece? Talk to me about what moves you to hit "fav" then post your favorite "fav" and tell me why you chose to hit the button for that photo.

I'll start...

I "faved" this photo of Riley by Sarah White @coolgirlsar because as a portrait photographer I understand how difficult it can be to shoot children. She also masterfully captured emotion in this portrait (an important, but not always easy task). In this photo of Riley, she has beautifully captured his mischievous side. He is such a cutie and this photo gives you a look into his incredible eyes. On the technical side, Sarah did a fantastic job with composing the photo in a creative way. The black background adds simplicity so that the focus is entirely on the subject. She has beautifully captured catch-light in his gorgeous eyes. The focus of the photo is perfect (always focus on the eyes in portraits) and the clarity brings out detail in his hair and face. This is an all-around fabulous photo - one I hope she has printed in large scale and has hanging on a wall in her home.

Now go to your "Favs", find your favorite, then tell me what moved you to hit the button.
July 22nd, 2014
Good morning,
My reasons for hit 'fav' vary. It could be technique, it could be application of rules, or it could be creativity, or simplicity, or pure ingenuity. If the person went out of the way to create a photo that too can catch me.

In this one an old fav of mine, Richard @vignouse portrayed something that we think of all the time. Where does the stuff disappear to when you put it all in the washer?

July 22nd, 2014
ll of your above reasons prompt me but foremost is my emotove response. For that reason I dont think I have a trend in favs except a couple of 365ers work I do tend to favour :)
My favourite fav is Pauls Armistice I look at it every day
July 22nd, 2014
This is my latest fave - and I have almost 5000 favs. I tend to fav something that makes me smile, or pulls me in, like an emotion or colour, or composition - I tend to fav all kinds of images, but an image of a DAISY always gets a fav, just because it is my favourite flower. This is an image by Cindy Johnson @pittcj17 - this image looks so much like Mater from the movie Cars, and is almost smiling at me! And of course, who can resist a good bit of rust!
July 22nd, 2014
@dejongdd I also faved that image - just fabulous!
July 22nd, 2014
Im fussy about my favs, some people have over 3000. The photo has to make me actually say Wow! and it has to be something I would happy to have hung on my wall for years. My fav fav is http://365project.org/hondo/365/2014-04-19
Maybe i'll keep my favs at 50, if I add another I must delete one.
July 22nd, 2014
I FAV for a variety of reasons from technique to composition to it just made me laugh.
July 22nd, 2014
It has to be something very special. Being 'just' a 'good picture' isn't enough, I'm afraid - to be a 'Fave', it really has to jump out a grab me!
July 22nd, 2014
MB
I Fav for a variety of reasons. I fav'd this photo by Mary Beth Dailey @espyetta because I like the watercolor effect and want to remember to try it some day. I fav photos that inspire me to try something new, or that will give me ideas for future shots. I also just like looking back on other 365ers photos that made me go "WOW". There is so much inspiration on this site and I am so happy to have the Fav area to hold these special shots. It's like a keepsake area.
July 22nd, 2014
I fave a lot. I fave shots I love for whatever reason. Often it's shots that move me for some reason, shots that make me think, shots that are a dream of mine to capture. I like shots best that tell a story or paint a picture. Here was a recent fave that touched me because of the story it shared. I know the photographer, too, and her situation and it made it that much more special and emotive to me: @aprilmilani Truly her work is some of my fav...she captures her family and stories so well. A talented lady that I truly admire for her beautiful eye and heart.
July 22nd, 2014
I'm quite "tight" with my fav's and don't have that many!

@tahoemb Like MB, I tend to fav things that I want to remember to try someday, but I also fav when I have a "wow" reaction to something: something beautiful, clever, artistic / creative (always gets me) and black and white (I'm a fan!).

Like Annie @annied, I also have certain people whose work always tends to get a fav because they have a certain style that I like!
So many reasons...

A fav from today by Caroline @carokennedy
July 22nd, 2014
Lou
Above everything, I love images to tell a story, which is something of a paradox since all photos are isolated moments in time. More accurately, I guess, I love an image that allows me to lend a story to it. This is probably why I don't connect with landscape, flower, fashion, or architectural shots too well. They all tend to look the same to me after awhile. That isn't to say there have been no photos of these subjects that made my eyes pop out of my head. For instance:

Otherwise, the clever, the displaced, or the memorable are photos that I like. They stick with me. As for patterns, I find myself faving pictures of children an awful lot, as well as hands and silhouettes. Also, I'm terribly partial to black-and-white :)

July 22nd, 2014
I Fav for plenty of reasons...

1: Cause the photo is simply to Brilliant not to fav! (I'm pretty easy to please, though, so most hit this bar!)
2: When someone I've been following for a while shares something considerably better than that persons usual standard... it's an unspoken form of encouragement! :)
3: when I see something that inspires me, or something I'd like to try.
4: When I see someone trying a new style, or having put a great deal of effort in it... (That's courages and deserves favs!) ;)
5: When a friend is sad... it's odd, but fav's seem to cheer people up! ;)
6: Anything magical and fantasy!!! (without being gory!!!)
7: When a photo moves me to smile or laugh, it's not all about technical perfection!!!
and,
8: When it's an awesome macro of a spider! There are too few of those! :(

Haha, ok, these are not rules... but I do find myself using all these reasons!!! I'm sure I have more, but can't remember them atm.

This one is simply Amazing! :)

July 22nd, 2014
It's very much emotive for me - I can appreciate the skill, art and processing but I find a photo has to "say " something to me, so no real pattern here!
July 22nd, 2014
very much what @monkeykid says. I fav because it is to me focussed and a stunning POV and subject, or something I would like to try, or what someone has done out of their usual that has impressed and probably loads of other reasons. I try not to fav all the same subject as I like to see good in all things but sometimes I cannot help it! one of my favourite favs is:

because it took me a while to work out what it was and I loved the vison and colour.
July 22nd, 2014
As I scroll through dozens of photos there will be one that makes me stop and say Wow.
July 22nd, 2014
For me there is no one reason why i might Fav a photo - it could be something beautifully or skillfully photographed or processed - or somettimes a photo that is just emotive in some way or makes me smile.

I'll also Fav a photo whose style inspires me and i may want to copy in the future.
July 22nd, 2014
I just faved this one from Susan Pigott. @otprofsp

I faved this particular one because I love insect/spider macro and nature shots.
Ilove that it is pretty unique for a bug macro due to the b and w.
I love color. I do...and especially yellow.
But I love b and w for clothing, house decor,etc. It is simple and pleasing to me.
Last but not least..the composition was great!

And as far as "why do I hit the fav button?" For any and all of those reason you just listed!

July 22nd, 2014
I also fav for a variety of reasons and I usually lean towards nature ones since I love nature and also sky ones since I love the sky. Colors also mean a lot to me. There are many other reasons that would take to long to list.

Now that the pictures are bigger with the new format, I seem to fav more than I used, too.

July 22nd, 2014
I fav photos that grab my attention for various reasons and, as @brianarmoured said, ones that make me say wow. This one by Dawn has such rich details and her catchy title didn't hurt!

Thank you so much Brian, and thanks to MaryBeth @espyetta for posting that my photo was mentioned here.
July 22nd, 2014
@monkeykid I loved your # 8~! Most people scream "EEEEKKKKK"! or "Gross!" When I post spider macros. I will make sure to tag you on those to see if you like them. hee hee Just kidding!
July 22nd, 2014
I've definitely gotten more picky with my fav's.

I think it is emotive for me as well. I might like lots of photos I see of the people I follow. But, the FAVs for me are the ones that stand out. EIther perfect composition, fantastic concept, unique perspective, color, great processing, or that unexplainable WOW factor is what gets me.

This community I feel is great for that because we are all photographers trying to do something special. It raises the bar a little bit. Friends and neighbors that don't shoot like pretty photos, but they don't get it. To be FAV'd a by a peer means something a little bit more doesn't it?

Anyway, an interesting study would be to go to other 365'ers favorites and look through them to see if you can sense a trend.

I just did that, and it looks like I like mostly colorful photos. *shrug*

As for my favorite FAV? I don't think I have one exactly but this one is definitely something cool @juliedduncan Julie is constantly working with post processing of her photos to create new images. They aren't all as creative as this, but I would say more than 3/4ths are. I admire how she looks into a photo, and changes it to create something fresh. That can be hard with processing, and many people do it VERY VERY poorly I love this particular shot because it takes a simple image we are all familiar with, explodes that notion, adds color to a drab view, and makes a lasting image. This could appear as art just about anywhere and fit in from art show to hospital room to bathroom to office building to advertisement. Just a great image....

What doesn't get FAV's from me typically? HDR images (most are pretty darn ugly, passing fad stuff), selective colorization ( I have done it of course too, but I think this is best reserved for cat posters), images without a subject.
July 22nd, 2014
My favs are pretty eclectic. Usually it's a love at first sight thing, but I have searched for pictures to fav that just wouldn't stay out of my mind. I will say that I have a soft spot for great photos of my local area. I get excited everytime I see a post from this particular person:

This particular picture is 15 minutes from my house in the LA suburbs, but it looks like a serene getaway.
July 22nd, 2014
I don't know any specific reason for "yes" but I know plenty for "no." Bad exposure, bad focus, noise and bad alignment/perspective are just four of the most egregious. The heavy, glowy, edgy, over saturated HDR look will not get a reaction from me either.
July 22nd, 2014
I just joined here, haven't had the time to browse too much, but have favourited couple already.. Haven't really thought about it, I see an image that somehow gets my attention and I fav it! I love strong colours and quite a lot of contrast.
July 22nd, 2014
@genealogygenie totally agree with that pick!
July 22nd, 2014
I am a Facebook person,so for me, a FAV is..."I really like that! "Guess I am a FAV hoarder.Maybe an image evokes a personal memory,makes me smile,laugh or squeeeee.Maybe it is a beautiful place I'd like to go or a sight Id like to see.Could be a technique Id like to try or something I could draw inspiration from.Sometimes I FAV an image when I know a friend has taken a chance or gone out of their comfort zone.And then for the real wow images that take my breath away.....I wish I could fav them more than once.I like looking through my FAVs album!

@kareenking
July 23rd, 2014
@amandal Wow Amanda!! This really means a lot to me. This has been a tough time for us. But a time for us to all come together and make the best of things. So again Thank you friend=D
July 23rd, 2014
@mzzhope Totally get you, Hope...me, too!!

@aprilmilani Glad it did. And of course. Let me know if/how I can pray for you all.
July 23rd, 2014
I was browsing through themes and just hit my 391st fav on this amazing great shot by @peadar

I hit fav on photos that looks so awesome to my taste and possibly photos that I can never take that good.

July 23rd, 2014
@genealogygenie Wow Kim, thanks for mentioning my photo, you just made my day!

For me, my favs are on photos that just speak to me in some way, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason.
July 23rd, 2014
Like a lot of others, lots of reasons. Like music … sometimes I like it for the technical ability, for the complexity of composition or the simplicity of it, for the emotional response, because it's fun or has great energy and groove. Much the same with photos. And like @monkeykid's #2 and 4, or like many others, a technique or style I would love to try or master.

When I first started this project I thought I would be very conservative with my favs, but once I got the hang of how the tp and pp work I thought I should be more generous and share the love around :)

A couple of recent standouts (if I may be so greedy as to choose three):
@katerinatina

@hwhittle77

@jasperc
July 23rd, 2014
@adambralston Thank you, Adam! That really means a lot to me! Thanks for the encouragement and happy thoughts! :)
July 23rd, 2014
I fave a lot, too. If something is funny, moving, or elicits a strong emotion, I fave. If it looks like something I want to try later, I fave. Lots of other reasons, too! :)
July 23rd, 2014
You know, it depends on the photo. Sure, I love clarity, color, subject, etc....but honestly, it's not necessarily the quality of the photo. It's what's IN it. You can take a photo on a cell phone and blow someone's mind. It's totally in the content of the photo to me. Because someone is thinking about that photo....putting themselves into what we end up seeing. That's why I love photography. You don't have to be a pro to have a great eye. And you don't need pro gear. :)
July 23rd, 2014
I fave anything that personally pleases me- I don't care if it's imperfect or break all photography rules-:)
July 23rd, 2014
For me....it can be many things....but all have to do with an emotional connection....a photo made me smile or laugh, made me remember or reminisce, made me go wow or awwww....or just made me think......
July 23rd, 2014
I have asked myself this same question. Sometimes there is no explanation other than I know I want to look at it again. Many times it can be something that sparks a memory for me.
July 23rd, 2014
One rule...they have to make me happy...or sad...or angry...or...go whoosh with admiration for someones talent if none of that works
July 23rd, 2014
@altadc Well, thanks for the mention, appreciate it.

My Favs tend to be images that immediately resonate, as soon as I open them, rather than images that I go back to later:

@nicolecampbell
July 23rd, 2014
I fave on impulse.
July 23rd, 2014
@peadar - thank you so much Peter, I am glad this image 'spoke' to you
July 23rd, 2014
@espyetta :) You're always welcome to tag me in those pics! Haha, I've pretty much given up posting spider pics... I take them for my own enjoyment! :)
July 23rd, 2014
@nicolecampbell I agree. Many of my favorites on 365 have come from you as well.
July 23rd, 2014
@aliha OH, I agree on those three as well. @katerinatina 's processing is VERY good.
July 24th, 2014
@adambralston - thank you so much Adam, so nice of you to say that
July 24th, 2014
HEW
@aliha Thank you for highlighting one of my pics on this thread.

July 24th, 2014
I fav pics that I want to remember and want to see again; there are so many pics and photographers here that it´s impossible to find the most pics if they are not in my fav album. I fav pics that inspire me, evoke emotions, are brilliant in creativity or in technique and sometimes it´s just the right title combined with the right shot.
July 24th, 2014

this was my last fav - I fave for a number of reasons
I like the shot and want to see it again
its cute
it's something I want to try / learn how to do
or something that gives me an idea and to develop on it
or a location that's beautiful I know i'll never get there so its wonderful to see and travel the world through the eyes of different people
July 24th, 2014
Mat
There are a couple of shots up ^ there that I've fav'd as well. Sometimes I'll fave a photo for the sheer WOW factor, sometimes a technique I'd like to try. I've got a real weakness for rabbits, so shots like this one from April Milani always get a fav!

@aprilmilani
July 25th, 2014
I fav shots that I react to - for various reasons - comp, creativity, anyhting that makes it stand out above others.
July 25th, 2014
I hit the FAV button when if I say to myself WOW this is brilliant, and I look at the pic over and over again and am drawn towards that simple WOW moment!
Write a Reply