Care and feeding of SD cards

July 24th, 2014
I've been using San Disk 16gb SD cards and am thinking of buying a higher capacity card, but before I spend my money on it, I wanted to see if you all have tips on taking care of these little things.

I am on my third of fourth card of this year - after a while they refuse to take new pictures, even if I reformat them with the computer and/or the camera. The files already on them are not lost (until I reformat), and can still be moved to my hard drive, but the cards are of no use to me for further picture taking.

Does this happen to you?

Beyond always ejecting properly before removing the card from the computer's card reader, is there some kind of card-care I should do that I don't know about?

Many thanks!
July 24th, 2014
Never reformat the cards with the computer...always reformat them in camera before using. Never delete images in camera and shoot more to that card. I have never had any problems with memory cards doing these things. I use 16 and 32 GB cards.
July 24th, 2014
@chapjohn
Oooh thanks John! I have been doing the delete images in camera thing, occasionally. That could be part of the problem.
July 24th, 2014
@chapjohn this is bound to be a stupid question, but why not delete pictures in camera? If it kills your sd card why would they put the option to do so on your camera?
July 24th, 2014
@bsheppard Hi, I have used many types of cards since 1999. I have had problems with a couple. I think sandisk is a cheaper quality card First Champion or Fujifilm cards are a good choice. Do not buy from ebay, there is a excellent cheap place in Guernsey if they are still in business 7dayshop.com. As for deleting off the camera, that has never caused a problem with me.
July 24th, 2014
@chapjohn I have no issues deleting in camera and when I have a ton of shots in one day and only a few gems, I do that. I would agree never to format to computer, just to camera. I made that mistake once and rendered it useless!

Beth, I would buy a high quality 32GB. I can shoot RAW and get lots of photos. Have not needed anything else. I have several cards as I am always having one upstairs in the computer and one downstairs ready to go (hate when I don't have one handy). Good luck!
July 24th, 2014
I never take the card out of the camera, I always use a USB connection. Reasoning: if I break the socket in the camera by continually taking the card in and out then my precious Nikon turns into an expensive paperweight! If I break the USB socket in the camera then I can always resort to taking the card out. I only ever take the card out if it fills up and I need to swap a spare one in, like when I go to an airshow and take 900+ photos in once afternoon.

Sandisk are a perfectly good brand, in fact that's the brand I'd look for first. My D300 actually uses CF not SD but the same comments apply.
July 24th, 2014
@tori_shaw The point is about deleting images then continuing to shoot with that card with images that were not deleted. My camera will not read that card after a few more shots.

@smalbon I always take my card out and use card reader on my computer. It seems simpler than connecting my camera to the computer.
July 24th, 2014
@chapjohn Well yes, but like I said: damage the card holder in the camera and you're dead in the water! Anyway, unless your computer has a built-in card reader (which in point of fact my MacBook Pro does have, though it won't read CF) you've still got to plug the reader into a USB socket on the computer anyway.
July 24th, 2014
@bsheppard When I used to teach photography I would always have one or two students on each course that would get a corrupted card. So far, it has never happened to me. Over that time I did pick up on a few things. One common fault that I have seen many people do - they take the card out of the camera (or put it back in) when the camera is still turned on. Big mistake. Always turn the camera off. Another thing I noticed - cards get corrupted by magnetic objects, like the clasp on some mobile phone, tablet or glasses cases, for example. Don't put your camera (or the card itself) on top of your phone case (or in the same bag) if it has a magnetic clasp. Format the card in the camera-not on your PC. Get your picture files safely off the card as soon as possible after shooting - don't leave them on the card for weeks. That's the worst possible place for them - they're much safer on a hard drive. Make duplicates on another drive at the same time. Finally, treat cards with care - handle them gently, they are delicate things. I work for a major photographic manufacturer (better not say which one!) and I can say confidently that all of the major brands are good - that's because a lot of them are made on the same production line by the same manufacturer then rebadged afterwards!
July 25th, 2014
I have to say that I have never had a corrupt card...I usually use either sandisk or kingston. I take cards out of the camera at least once daily and sometimes several times a day. When someone else was having card issues recently we suggested checking the card slot for dirt...That fixed their issue. I find it really difficult to believe that people have cards that break down regularly unless they are being handled very badly. Don't handle the contacts...keep them in plastic cases when not in use...reformat in the camera...I often delete in the camera and have never had an issue with this either.
Write a Reply