New B&w fortnight 6: light and shadows

July 26th, 2014
Hi there everyone
@Newbank asked me to host this next b&w theme as she is taking a short break but assures me that she will be back soon! 

The next b&w theme is Light and Shadow, something I think that lends itself to portraits, landscapes, abstracts, low and high key shots, summer and winter shots, so hopefully something for everyone, wherever you are in the world.

If you need some inspiration, I did a search on Google for light and shadow photography and some wonderful images came up. I also found a couple of articles:
* http://nature-photography-central.com/black_and_white_photography_shadows_and_light.html
* http://www.jeffsinon.com/BlackandWhite/Black-and-White-Images
* http://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/black-and-white-photography-light/

The tag this fortnight will be bw-fn-6. The fortnight will run from now until Saturday 9th August. By all means post your images in this thread too if you want. 

I am loving these themes and I’m pleased that Newbank started them. Are you enjoying them? If you want to be tagged and you're not let me know below too. Any other questions just leave a comment. 

All that is left to say is enjoy.
Debs Stott (on behalf of Newbank Lass)
July 26th, 2014
thanks Debs.. this will be a challenge for me.. and probably a good thing!!
July 27th, 2014
My current photo fits this theme quite well, I love playing with light and shadow and tonality.
July 27th, 2014
Count me back in, Debs.
July 27th, 2014
Please tag me Devs.
July 27th, 2014
Debs, thank you for putting this together. I found both of the architecture fortnights to be challenging, but I learned so much from them. I know I will find light and shadow to be challenging, but I hoipe to learn from this challenge.
July 27th, 2014
Thank you Debs. I'll have to see what I can come up with. I enjoyed the architecture one.
July 27th, 2014
Oh..this one inspires me.I am back in! Architecture was not really possible where I live but I loved seeing everyone's awesome work!
July 27th, 2014
I'll give it a crack as well, I didn't do the architecture themes because...well...laziness struck. Might be able to come up with something for this though...
July 27th, 2014
@dibzgreasley

Debs, many thank and good to have a new subject to stretch our brains, imagination and cameras! A good challenge.
July 27th, 2014
@lyndemc Fab, looking forward to seeing your ideas and images.

@pamknowler Will do Pam

@daisymiller @brigette I always find that I learn a lot from the b&w themes to - its a whole new way of looking and composing. Good to have you on board

@mittens Great

@mzzhope So glad Hope, I was hoping that the slightly wider theme might get different people in, when I was contemplating it. Looking forward to seeing your images.

@graemestevens Wonderful - can't wait to see what you come up with!

@quietpurplehaze Thanks Hazel
July 27th, 2014
@mummarazzii Good one Lisa, thanks for getting us started!
July 27th, 2014
I tried to keep up with b&w architecture but was away for most of that timeframe so struggled a bit. Love the idea of light and shadow so will have another go. First attempt
July 27th, 2014
My first attempt

July 27th, 2014
I love searching for shadows, a great theme!

heres mine...

July 27th, 2014
My first one -- definitely will plan to do more of these as it's a great challenge to think about what will work as I'm taking photos.
July 27th, 2014
Thanks for this - I didn't join in with the last one as was rather devoid of architecture, but as the sun is shining I should manage this nicely.
July 27th, 2014
@andrewkru that is wonderful!
July 27th, 2014
@andrewkru Very cool view of cows! Like it.
July 27th, 2014
@lleo Fab, looking forward to seeing your images.
July 27th, 2014
@taffy Yay, looking forward to seeing more of your images.
July 28th, 2014
Hi, please tag me for future challenges. Thanks!
July 28th, 2014
Wonderful samples of light and shadows on this thread. I'm going to join in this black and white fortnight.
July 28th, 2014
@beschnett Will do

@paulam Fabulous
July 28th, 2014
Not exactly abstract but here it is:

July 28th, 2014
@snaphappi Hi Maggie, beautiful! It doesn't have to be abstract - just light and shadow, which this is!
July 28th, 2014
July 28th, 2014
@shaunasauna7 Cool, so glad you put it in this thread, its a great shot
July 28th, 2014
@dibzgreasley thank you for mentioning it to me. I rarely look through the themes or anything on here. so it is rare that I try to enter anything.
July 28th, 2014
@shaunasauna7 The wonderful thing about this is that it isn't a competition (or challenge), just a theme to inspire you.
July 28th, 2014
Tia
@shaunasauna7 That is a really great shot!
July 29th, 2014
Dan
On suggestion of another member (thanks @judithdeacon) here is one from me.

July 29th, 2014
Just tagged mine thanks to @ceilidh for pointing out this theme :)

July 29th, 2014
Light shadows for this light and shadow image.
July 29th, 2014
I am loving this fortnight! Looking foward to experimenting with settings,light and shadow.The light after a rainstorm this evening had me running outdoors to capture it.:)

July 29th, 2014
Bluestone house, Axedale
July 29th, 2014
@taffy @golftragic @mzzhope Thanks for posting your shots ladies, they are inspiration for other folk!
July 29th, 2014
July 29th, 2014
@ikamera your recent portrait work is simply stunning!
July 29th, 2014
Like this one! Almost got to the architecture challenge - just got too busy!

Here's mine:

July 30th, 2014
@mzzhope Hope, thank you! :-)
July 30th, 2014
@dibzgreasley - Hi Debs,
I came across your challenge and thought I might have a go at it. Being that it is my first time, are there time constraints as to when the photos have to have been taken? Thanks for the challenge!
July 30th, 2014
@skipt07 Hi Skip
Welcome to the b&w fortnights. Newbank who started these themes has put them as occurring over 2 weeks and the theme changes then.
This one (light and shadow) runs from 27th July until Sunday 10th August, when a new theme will be posted.
The photos do not have to be taken in the time period, so you can use old ones and process them if you wish, you just need to post them within the time period.

It's not a challenge, just a theme for inspiration and sharing, so have fun and enjoy it!
July 30th, 2014
@dibzgreasley - Thank you Debs for responding and clarifying my questions for me. I will attempt to capture something in the time period of the theme that goes along with some of the sample photos that you linked to. That's my challenge :)
July 31st, 2014
Dan
Thought I'd put one more in, seeing how much I'm enjoying everyone else's work in here...

July 31st, 2014
Thought I would give this a try.
August 1st, 2014
Stone Cottage
August 1st, 2014
August 2nd, 2014
August 6th, 2014
@dibzgreasley Please tag me too Debs.
August 7th, 2014
August 9th, 2014
I'm so bad at keeping up with themes and challenges but just realised by chance that this one I just posted fits the theme! Yay!
Write a Reply