Film, anyone?

July 27th, 2014
So I have this Canon 3000N sitting in my cupboard that I inherited (I think it was passed on a couple of times before it came to me) and have never used. Occasionally a conversation with a friend tempts me to get it out … anyway this is the closest I've gotten, which is to actually get online and look it up!! It's apparently a 2002 entry-level model, and to be honest that's about all I know about it so far. So … any thoughts? Anyone who used to get into film know anything about this camera? Or want to convince me that I should give film a go? (For the record I am not so young that I have never used a film camera - I had a point-and-shoot from about 1999 til about 2007, but I didn't know anything about photography then!)
July 27th, 2014
I have a Canon 500N, and quite a few film cameras from that era. You will probably need to replace the battery and give the lens and mirror a clean (easy, there are tutorials on the web), insert the film, and go nuts! The biggest problem I find is the places that process film are now few and far between, and expensive. But it is fun, and I encourage you to give it a go. I'm running some film through some old Pentax cameras at the moment. Have fun!
July 27th, 2014
The go to guy on 365 in my opinion is Peter @peterdegraaff. He has been not only shooting exclusively in film for a year but processes his own as well. He has quite an extensive collections of cameras and would have a wealth of knowledge to share I am certain.

If you shot film in 1999 you sound very young to me. I shot film in a p&s in the 60's! It was awful but I was shooting. (;
July 27th, 2014
Yes Peter is very knowledgeable, as is Ingrid Budge @ingrid2101 - She does her own processing as well.
July 27th, 2014
Silly rabbit; if given the option, always choose film! ;)
http://365project.org/tags/aa-film
July 28th, 2014
@grammyn Oh yes, I am young :) I just didn't want anyone to think I had never touched a film camera!! Like trying to explain to kids in my class that when I was in high school, the lengths we would have to go to to listen to a song we liked. Being able to access anything any time on any device … they have no idea! :)
July 28th, 2014
@aliha Heheh! So true!
July 28th, 2014
@tomtom I in no way meant to imply anything negative about your knowledge or skills. Going back it sounded a bit snotty to me and I am sorry if it sounded like that to you too. I was posting the same time as you I think. Thaks for your graciousness! (;
July 28th, 2014
@grammyn I didn't think anything of it, Katy! The others are far more experienced than I am :)
July 28th, 2014
@tomtom a true gentleman, Andrew!
July 28th, 2014
There are a number of tagged film shots on here.
http://365project.org/tags/film-lives
July 28th, 2014
@tomtom @grizzlysghost @grammyn Thanks guys. I got all excited yesterday until I realised I need these CR123A batteries which seem a bit hard to find! I've had a look online but anyone know where best to get them in Australia? Also Andrew I will have to ask you (when the time comes) about places to develop them!! Gone are the days when I could just take them to Rabbit in any shopping centre hey!?
July 28th, 2014
@aliha You are on the bayside aren't you? There is Film Frenzy at Coorparoo, or Photo Continental at Mt Gravatt. Kmart and Big W send them interstate now :)
Jaycar Electronics have the batteries, Dick Smith may stock them also. You can buy them on eBay reasonably cheaply last time I looked!
July 28th, 2014
Oh great, well there is a Dick Smith down the road, I'll see what they have. Most of the hits on google were for Amazon. Found an Aus company that sells them for 8.25 each??

Coorparoo sounds like the way to go. Cheers for the tips :)
July 29th, 2014
please please stick a roll through, you have nothing to lose....getting that pack of photos to open is still magic, I'm processing my own to keep costs down but I still get the same buzz opening a tank as I did 30 years ago.
July 29th, 2014
Kim
Go for gold Alison. I have done a bit of film stuff when we lived in the UK, sadly it's a bit harder here in New Zealand I have to send my film out of town to develop as they can't do it locally anymore. I've also started collecting dark room equipment and just need to get some minor building (of a cupboard) to be able to do my own again. I can't wait, I loved the dark room the most about film.
Write a Reply