I was going to start a new 365 but...Is there another website?

August 29th, 2014
I hadn't been on this website for a while. I was expecting some improvements in terms of its look and feel. I am surprised that it still looks the same, very clunky and "old-fashioned'. Still no real mobile support either, no direct messaging etc.... I wouldn't complain if it were free, but I have been a paying member, and there are lots of pro accounts.

While this is a great community, the look and feel of the website is a little underwhelming. The worst part for me is that the photos are not displayed very nicely, it looks very compressed, like when you are posting photos on Facebook.

I might still start here but I might have to post it somewhere else too where the photos look more decent in the way they are displayed.

Is there any alternative out there for a 365 project?
August 29th, 2014
Flickr
August 29th, 2014
Isn't there one called 500px?
August 29th, 2014
I'm on Flickr and they have finally calmed down with all their website changes. You can check out my photos over there, for example of the layout: https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-spirit/

They have various groups - some dedicated to a 365 project and I'm involved in a 52 Week Project but it's a totally different feeling over there. If you want comments, you really need to give quite a bit of comments to get settled over there since it's so large.

You can also check out 500px (and sell your items there as well).
August 29th, 2014
@kass Wow, Kass, your work looks amazing on Flickr. Super layout and amazing photos!
August 29th, 2014
Thank you for the info, and yes, great work @Kass
August 29th, 2014
On the other hand people like @amandal are not on flickr, 365 is a great community
August 29th, 2014
@anzere03 I just can do another thing that wastes my time. I get in enough trouble as it is on here.:) I love this community. Hope you post on here in some capacity.
August 29th, 2014
@amandal Thanks Amanda - nothing like your wonderful work - but I try! ;)

@anzere03 Merci! ;) Flickr and 365 are totally different. I doubt you will find the close community from here anywhere else (without a lot of effort). Like I mentioned, I have my 'community' over at Flickr but different (like moving from a small town to the big city).
August 30th, 2014
I like the community here, it feels so much more "personal" than flickr or other sites. Since I'm just a hobbyist I don't feel I fit in with the other photo sites.
August 30th, 2014
@zosimasy I tend to agree with you, Charles. I love the personal, community atmosphere here. As a hobbyist, I feel I "fit in" and yet gain a lot of inspiration and education from the generous professionals willing to share information. Thank you, 365'ers!
August 30th, 2014
I like Flickr and have continued friendships with ex-365ers on there and made other connections, although when I get busy I get behind everywhere.

I haven't always found the community aspects that brilliant here. Through a case of mistaken identity I had a pretty rough time here during my first project, although I did make friends, and it's to "see" them and to learn a new camera I came back, but it does make me wary.
August 30th, 2014
@anzere03 I just started on YouPic a few weeks ago. Its free, you can comment privatley etc. I am not sure about the mobile thing but you can't right click and download anyones photos on there either!! I think that is a huge bonus point! here is a link. https://youpic.com/inspiration
August 30th, 2014
I just joined flickr and uploaded a whole bunch of my favorite photos, then saved it to an album and tried to log out. There was no where I could find a "save" button and figured all was saved. Well, I have a site now, but when I went to log in none of my photos were saved! I really like what I'm seeing and the way others have their photos set up, but their instructions are overwhelming and confusing. Oh well, guess I need to start all over after spending all morning on this -----@#$%*!#
August 30th, 2014
Photos are great on 500 px
August 30th, 2014
@anzere03 I absolutely love your site. I want to have a different title, like you have "Blue Spirit Images" for example. But they keep putting my name and user ID on the screen. That's not what I want and am getting no answers. I finally deleted my account. But I love the idea.
August 30th, 2014
@kass gorgeous photos Kass!
August 30th, 2014
@cimes1 :)
August 30th, 2014
I find 365 more interactive and faster paced than flickr, I was going to pay for an account this year but hate the changes made to the page recently and am not bothered for the pro account extras. what I hate are the people posting photoshop projects on here using photos lifted from the web and then hashing images together - I have mailed ross about a ring of people but they're still on here - I find it wrong as we all work so hard to produce these images
August 30th, 2014
Hey FSR! I do flickr ...some. I do not find it any kind of "community" at all. I have tried some groups too...posting my pics on "nature pics only" groups but I really do not seem to be able to establish any sort of rapport or followers. The pics look amazing on flickr. But here I am, still at 365.....I am in year 4.
August 30th, 2014
Here is my flickr account https://www.flickr.com/photos/espyetta/

One thing I HATE about flickr is that if you "like" a photo of a very popular, active member, then any time anyone else comments on it or likes it, your phone "dings" and you get a notification. That gets old. I don't have time to build a 500 person following and if you comment or like a pic from one that does, you will be harassed by notifications. I guess that can be unset, but I could not find it.
August 31st, 2014
@espyetta MaryBeth I love your flickr site. I am not interested in comments or popularity if I decide once again to try and set one up there. I love 365 because of the congenial interaction and my great group of followers. But on the other hand I would also like a place to display only my favorite photos in the way you have done--- not necessarily one a day and I don't care if any one comments, etc. However I find the set-up very confusing and is there any way you can make it more private?
August 31st, 2014
@espyetta You can turn off the notifications. At the top of your page, click on You - Recent Activity - and then hover your mouse over the picture and click the red circle in the top right of the specific comment area you want to mute.
August 31st, 2014
@cimes1 Not sure what happened with your photos - but once you click 'Upload' at the top of the screen and attach your photo - it automatically uploads to your wall. You can set your whole project to private and even send out 'guest passes' to people to invite them to view your project. Or, you can set each picture's restrictions separately. You can also set separate groups so only family see certain pics while others can be seen by friends only.

When you upload a photo, click on it and then look to the bottom right of the screen under Additional Info - Viewing this Photo - and you can click the drop down menu to set the privacy settings. Or, you can set them initially when uploading the photo.

Right now, if you look at my project, you are only seeing half my shots since I've set the rest to private.

I have had a wonderful time getting to know the different artists at Flickr - there is indeed a community - you just need to spend time finding the right people to follow. Many of them are selling their art through various avenues. They have been more than willing to help out with any questions and have helped me advance my photography and digital editing. I'll actually be meeting 3 of them when I take my road trip starting next week. ;)
August 31st, 2014
@nanderson Thanks you kindly Nancy - glad you like them! ;)
August 31st, 2014
@kass Thanks. I figured you could. I hope I can select to still get notified when someone comments on my pic. But that getting notified when people comment on a pic you commented on thing is going...oh my!
August 31st, 2014
@kass Thank you most graciously for your suggestions. I will definitely try to set up a site on Flickr again when I have some free time. I love the way the photos are displayed. You have been most helpful.
Write a Reply