What settings to shoot with if I want to get big/poster sized prints?

September 2nd, 2014
So I want to start printing my photos to hang around our house but I'm not sure what settings in camera I should shoot with to get the best quality when printing. I would like to do some prints in poster size. Can you print a RAW photo, or is best to shoot in JPEG? I'm so new to printing that I have no idea what's best. Thank you for your help and tips!
September 2nd, 2014
There are plenty of folks here who can tell you much more than I can but my basic understanding is this: Shoot with either your largest JPEG size, or in RAW. Larger file size=better quality printing large. If you don't already shoot RAW, I wouldn't recommend starting today and printing tomorrow, it takes a bit of work and getting used to. But in the future, go for it.

No, you can't print a RAW photo. It's just data, not an image file (yep, that's about as technical as I get ...) JPEGs you can print, RAW files (once edited) need to be converted to JPEG or another image file type in order to print or share etc.

All of that said, I have a poster-size print from my wedding (2006) that was probably only around 4MB file size, and it looks great.
September 2nd, 2014
@aliha Thank you so much! This is really helpful. The bigger the file size the better quality, that makes to total sense =) Where did you get your poster size done?
September 2nd, 2014
Shoot in RAW, edit as required, export to the highest quality JPEG that your editor can do and get that printed.
September 2nd, 2014
@smalbon Thank you Stephen!
September 2nd, 2014
@oreos808 Through our photographer, I've got no idea who their printers are (or were 8 years ago)!
September 3rd, 2014
Yes take them as big as you can using RAW, that way you have flexibility to crop or edit. The rest is what Stephen said. @oreos808
September 3rd, 2014
No one has mentioned this so maybe I'm off base, but I would also aim for lowest ISO possible that will let you capture what you are after.... Higher ISO = higher noise and I think this would impact on print quality when blown up large! even w using good noise reduction software... I could be wrong about this, but I would definitely take it into consideration...
September 3rd, 2014
@agima @northy Awesome, thank you guys!
September 3rd, 2014
@northy Yep. Just dont sacrifice a blur image for a noisy image. :) @oreos808
Write a Reply