Artist challenge #79 - Piet Mondrian

September 15th, 2014
I selected Piet Mondrian for the artist challenge, one of my biggest influences.

From Wikipedia:

"Pieter Cornelis "Piet" Mondriaan, after 1906 Mondrian (March 7, 1872 – February 1, 1944) was a Dutch painter.

He was an important contributor to the De Stijl art movement and group, which was founded by Theo van Doesburg. He evolved a non-representational form which he termed neoplasticism. This consisted of white ground, upon which was painted a grid of vertical and horizontal black lines and the three primary colors.

Mondrian's art always was intimately related to his spiritual and philosophical studies... ....and much of Mondrian's work for the rest of his life was inspired by his search for that spiritual knowledge.

From a letter by Mondrian : "...I believe it is possible that, through horizontal and vertical lines constructed with awareness, but not with calculation, led by high intuition, and brought to harmony and rhythm, these basic forms of beauty, supplemented if necessary by other direct lines or curves, can become a work of art, as strong as it is true."

Mondrian called his art "Neo-Plasticism" and it adhered to strict rules :

• Only geometric shapes may be used; ignore natural form and colour.
• Main compositional elements to be straight lines or rectangular areas.
• Surfaces should be rectangular planes or prisms.
• No curves, no diagonals, no circles.
• Choose only primary colours (red, blue, yellow), plus black, grey and white.
• No symmetry: instead, strive for strong asymmetricality.
• Balance is attained by relationships between geometrical motifs.
• In addition, bold colours should balance bold direct lines.

He left "De Stijl" -movement, after Theo van Doesburg used a diagonal line :-)

All his artwork with detailed explanations can be found here: http://www.piet-mondrian.org/index.jsp

The challenge starts on Monday 15th of September (=now!) and will run until Thursday 25th of September 4 PM (GMT).

Tag your entries ac-mondrian .

I am very excited to see how you interpret his paintings and his style with photography. Be creative while shooting, and be creative in post-processing. And break his rules or make your own, even though Mondrian would be annoyed :) You can either try to copy one of his images as closely as you can, use a technique he has used or just see what inspires you from looking at his work. If possible reference a particular image you studied when you post your images.

Tune your eyes into primary color and lines, get into abstract mindset and have fun :)
September 15th, 2014
@678tabby @adayinmallacoota @alicenellis @altadc @amyhughes @anazad511 @anbeone @andrewkru @andrina @andycoleborn @angelamartel @annied @aprilmilani @archaeofrog @archielogical @asrai @baldsinger @barrowlane @bella_ss @bernicrumb @bill_fe @blahowd @bluebell @blueberry1222 @bonnielark @boxplayer @brigette @bruni @cameraholic @catwoman2 @cazink @cazla @cdonohoue @cgoose @channelf @charmboxstudios @cimes1 @colie @crewnelson @custodiabaptista @cwebb @dejongdd @denvern8v @dextermurray @dh @dibzgreasley @dixon @dmdfday @dollycreek @dtigani @edie @edpartridge @egad @eevarita @elaine55 @elfurth @epcello @flyrobin @francoise @frida @fueast @gamelee @gavincci @genealogygenie @gigiz @giverny @gizzlysghost @golftragic @gozoinklings @graemestevens @grammyn @haze65 @hjbenson @homeschoolmum @hopess13 @houdiniem @irisn @ingrid2101 @janim @jannkc @jankoos @jase_again @jayberg @jayzon_bitacura @jesperani @jess1204 @jillianpfennig @jo13 @joemuli @joeyc @joansmor @jocasta @jsw0109 @judithdeacon @judithg @juliac @justaspark @jyakota @kali66 @kamen088 @kcman5 @krisztinalacz @lambda @la_photographic @laynesgram @leonbuys83 @lesleyallen @lindag @lindseying @lizranger @lleo @louuncouth @lstasel @luka365 @luvmynynix @lyno @m9f9l @maishanny @mantha @mara19500 @mastermek @mathilde22cat @melanierivers @mercuria @mikegifford @mlulu191 @mummarazzii @my_photofun @mzzhope @nadaa @nancyperry @nicolecampbell @nikkilee @nookie72 @northy @olivetreeann @omabluebird @orangecrush @oreos808 @overalvandaan @panic_c_button @paulam @payalminhas @peterdegraaff @photohoot @pipat @polarvrtx @psychographer @rachelwithey @rennes @rikshore @rockinrobyn @roseolivia @ryanarra2 @salza @sassik @sassyinma @seejillrun @semjaja @sianipops @silverlight @sioux @smapp @smevvy @so-lo-webb @soseema @spanner @stephomy @steveh @suebarni @sullivar @summerbl4ck @summerfield @sunshinephoto5 @susale @swguevin @syncope @synke @taffy @tammeray @taz_o @tealgarciaphotography @thomasthoth @tigerdreamer @transatlantic99 @twistergirl @voiceprintz @vstap @welcometocarolworld @wenbow @wildernesswillie @willowdragon @yaorenliu @zabcoloma @skjgraphics
September 15th, 2014
very exciting choice - that will be a challenge indeed
September 15th, 2014
Some of his works are amazing. Looks to be a fantastic challenge! It has also given me some ideas to put onto canvas!
September 15th, 2014
woah, this will take some thought, fantastic
September 15th, 2014
oh but there is some early work with figures, , and trees etc..... delicious stuff
September 15th, 2014
@kali66 I like how the early work has signs of what will come later... :)
September 15th, 2014
Love your choice of artist Jani! One of my best museum experiences was to see a real Mondrian on a wall - no textbook repro does them justice. This would be a great exercise. No promises though...
All the best to you!
September 15th, 2014
@sassik I have seen Mondrian's work live too, and I have to agree with you :) Hope all is good with you!
September 15th, 2014
Love his trees (slowly becoming more abstract) and 'the red cloud'! Great choice.
September 15th, 2014
The timing of this is hilarious, since my kids just did a project based on his red/yellow/blue paintings on Friday!
This will be fun!
September 16th, 2014
Good choice- I'll be keeping my eyes open to see what I can see!
September 16th, 2014
Such an icon of abstract art! I really enjoy his art work and have seen a few in art museums. I think it will be quite a challenge to translate it to photography. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with and I'll give it a try, too!
September 16th, 2014
September 17th, 2014
Well it took some effort, and I am now mentally exhausted but:
September 19th, 2014
September 20th, 2014
This was a great challenge, I really enjoyed it and I decided to give it my own spin.
Write a Reply