How do you interpret this abstract?

September 17th, 2014
I was about to delete an image from my camera the other day because it had such a bad case of vertical camera shake (I forgot that the camera was set on burst, and put it down while it was still capturing the image) but on second glance I thought I could see an entirely different image so decided to play around with it ... and this was the result:

I wonder if you can detect or guess what the subject of the original image was, or would like to tell me what your mind imagined it could see.

(Please don't cheat by looking at the comments and explanation in my album until you have allowed your brain to have its say!)

HAVE FUN - AND GOOD LUCK!
September 17th, 2014
I see a crowd of people walking along a busy street, all in the dame direction, i love the dark tones and grudge of commute and the hints of yellow and red. Haven't looked at original pictures but love this!!
September 17th, 2014
I really like this too. I get a sense of people commuting, the daily grind of going to work.
September 17th, 2014
Sue
I with Rachel, love this Arthur!
September 17th, 2014
@roseolivia . . . Thank you Rachel, and if you do look at the original please keep it a secret so that other people can have fun guessing whether you were right or wrong.
September 17th, 2014
I see people too. And I like it a lot. The sense of rushing past each other.
September 17th, 2014
Thanks to @adayinmallacoota @redpants and @newbank . . . You all see the same, but as mentioned to @roseolivia please don't tell anybody if you are proven right or wrong when you look at the original. Keep them guessing!
September 17th, 2014
Is it people going to church?
September 17th, 2014
@amfrumbiddivurd . . . Good interpretation Andy, that does look like a church in the background, but is your guess better than the others? You can check by looking at the original, but please don't reveal the answer just yet.
September 17th, 2014
I see crowd of people rushing to get their egg rolls on a Chinese -eat-all-you-can buffet :) very good artwork:)
September 17th, 2014
@joemuli ... thank you Joe. A very nice comment coming from someone whose work I follow and admire.
September 17th, 2014
Like most others, I see a crowd of people walking down a city street. This really is a piece of art. I'm glad that you didn't delete it. I also like that you left some color in the middle but the outside is B&W.
September 17th, 2014
you know I absolutely love this - to me a busy street of people perhaps in the rain
September 17th, 2014
A wedding reception springs to mind! I really like that it inspires you to think about what you are looking at.
September 17th, 2014
@tara11 @annied ... Thank you both. Isn't it nice to be able to "see" inside other people's minds through their appreciation, creation and sharing of art, whether with a capital A or not!
September 17th, 2014
People rushing down the street in the City...great pic!
September 17th, 2014
@nanderson ... Thank you Nancy - you agreed with the majority.
September 17th, 2014
@salza . . . Thank you Sally. You actually got closer than the others by taking your imagination indoors and if this were a competition you would have won a slice of cake for your interpretation!
September 17th, 2014

I think the genie can come out of the bottle now and reveal that these people were not walking away from the camera in a busy street but sitting indoors, playing folk musical instruments. The mind can play such tricks, can't it? (And so can the camera, with or without human intervention!) The 'church' in the background is in fact a beam in the barn where the photograph was taken, and the apparent spires were part of a printed poster!

Thanks a lot for all your comments. I have enjoyed the exercise very much. Thanks also all of you who looked at the original post and left such interesting comments.
September 17th, 2014
The other side! family and friends waiting to welcome you into a new existence is the first thing that jumped into my head

It would look fab blown up and hung on a white wall.
September 17th, 2014
@markjohnston that's what I thought too! How funny. Would be a perfect image to go along with Stephen King's story "The Reach"
September 17th, 2014
@markjohnston @hippiechick13 . . . Thank you. I hadn't thought of that but now you've mentioned it . . . . .
September 17th, 2014
I see a crowd of people queuing in the rain to get in somewhere.
September 17th, 2014
Thank you David. Most of the comments mentioned people walking away from the camera outdoors but I have now revealed that they were actually sitting indoors, facing the camera.

(Full explanation is In my comment five back from here)
September 17th, 2014
I was getting ready to type my guess when I noticed you said the explanation was above, so I scrolled up.... the guess I was going to make was close. I was going to say it looked like a kanun or santoor on the left and a cool chair in the middle and a bunch of people gathered around, like at a festival perhaps.
September 18th, 2014
I love this! I see people going home from work and they are tired after a long day (one man is a little slouched over, he is really tired!) and there is a tall building in the background.
September 18th, 2014
It's a quartet playing in a crowded room. People are milling about and dancing near the bar. (there is smoke in the air. It's hot, sweltering. The kind of heat you only get in engine rooms and jungles in countries with no name. Then, she walked in....)
September 18th, 2014
@jsw0109 @april16 @adambralston ... Thank you all; three more fascinating descriptive interpretations, and Adam was even inspired to write the opening lines of a pulp novel Can't ask for more than that!
September 18th, 2014
I see dead people! :) an abstract group of ghosts.
September 18th, 2014
I haven't read the other posts but I see a lot of people coming and going in a busy arcade or tunnel. Now to see what it really is...
I love it by the way, it would look fantastic on the wall, how exciting tht it was an accident.
September 18th, 2014
Looks like an orchestra performing outside somewhere.
September 18th, 2014
I had this on my iPad to respond to and then got distracted and never got back to it. I swear I found out AFTER I posted that it was a band. What a wonderful capture. What I call a HA-happy accident. It is a wonderful piece of art.
September 18th, 2014
I see a crowd of people, but the black and white coloring plus the harsh broke strokes indicates to me a feeling of disarray, as if, although these people walk in the same direction, there is a sense of detachment, hopelessness and division.
September 18th, 2014
I see people on a busy street, in the winter maybe? Also like a war-time flashback with soldiers and fire.
September 18th, 2014
Well, I'd say the original was a group of people but before I took a second look it reminded me of stalactites or stalagmites (not sure which is up or down) in a cave. Very cool. I'm glad you did not delete the shot- it's a fantastic abstract!
September 19th, 2014
Abstracts are not usually my favourites, but I absolutely adore this.
September 19th, 2014
I think this is awesome. It looks like a group of people walking along a busy street. The colors and tones are great! It looks like an abstract painting. I would enlarge it and put on canvas.
September 20th, 2014
This looks great. I see a group of people, and judging by the signage, it must be in the street or city. Maybe the commuters?
September 20th, 2014
To me I see people in the morning rush in the city.
I really like it, I would hang something like this :)
Write a Reply