Artist challenge #80 - Jan Vermeer

September 30th, 2014
To think of all the great artist and how their work might inspire photography! How to pick one! I ended up choosing Jan Vermeer. I thought it might be great for photographers to study his use of light - mostly window light from the left (should be well available ;) He painted everyday life scenes and used characteristic colour scheme with preference for lapis lazuli and Indian yellow.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johannes_Vermeer

Great resource for further study with interactive images - when you open the painting of your interest, try to hoover your mouse over them and see what pops up!
http://www.essentialvermeer.com/vermeer_painting_part_one.html#.VCo_LvmSzTr

For more inspiration check out the gallery of a wonderful photographer Bill Gekas http://www.billgekas.com/p1014938437 who has been inspired by Vermeer.

For entertainment see the movie Girl with a Pearl Earring directed by Peter Webber, starring Scarlett Johansson. Wonderful visuals will sure help you to get to the mood!

One more link:
http://www.northerncalstyle.com/2013/01/vermeer-style-and-girl.html

The challenge starts on Tuesday 30th of September (=now!) and will run until Thursday 9th of October 4 PM (GMT).
Your photo must be taken during that period and the challenge is open to everyone to enter! Multiple entries welcome!
Tag your entries ac-vermeer

Feel free to post your entry also in the comments of this thread.

Reproduce one of the old masters paintings, interpret or create your own! It would be lovely to read the story behind the entry and which painting/aspect of Vermeer's work inspired you the most. See it, feel it live it!

Have fun with it!
September 30th, 2014
@678tabby @adayinmallacoota @alicenellis @altadc @amyhughes @anazad511 @anbeone @andrewkru @andrina @andycoleborn @angelamartel @annied @aprilmilani @archaeofrog @archielogical @asrai @baldsinger @barrowlane @bella_ss @bernicrumb @bill_fe @blahowd @bluebell @blueberry1222 @bonnielark @boxplayer @brigette @bruni @cameraholic @catwoman2 @cazink @cazla @cdonohoue @cgoose @channelf @charmboxstudios @cimes1 @colie @crewnelson @custodiabaptista @cwebb @dejongdd @denvern8v @dextermurray @dh @dibzgreasley @dixon @dmdfday @dollycreek @dtigani @edie @edpartridge @egad @eevarita @elaine55 @elfurth @epcello @flyrobin @francoise @frida @fueast @gamelee @gavincci @genealogygenie @gigiz @giverny @gizzlysghost @golftragic @gozoinklings @graemestevens @grammyn @haze65 @hjbenson @homeschoolmum @hopess13 @houdiniem @irisn @ingrid2101 @janim @jannkc @jankoos @jase_again @jayberg @jayzon_bitacura @jesperani @jess1204 @jillianpfennig @jo13 @joemuli @joeyc @joansmor @jocasta @jsw0109 @judithdeacon @judithg @juliac @justaspark @jyakota @kali66 @kamen088 @kcman5 @krisztinalacz @lambda @la_photographic @laynesgram @leonbuys83 @lesleyallen @lindag @lindseying @lizranger @lleo @louuncouth @lstasel @luka365 @luvmynynix @lyno @m9f9l @maishanny @mantha @mara19500 @mastermek @mathilde22cat @melanierivers @mercuria @mikegifford @mlulu191 @mummarazzii @my_photofun @mzzhope @nadaa @nancyperry @nicolecampbell @nikkilee @nookie72 @northy @olivetreeann @omabluebird @orangecrush @oreos808 @overalvandaan @panic_c_button @paulam @payalminhas @peterdegraaff @photohoot @pipat @polarvrtx @psychographer @rachelwithey @rennes @rikshore @rockinrobyn @roseolivia @ryanarra2 @salza @sassik @sassyinma @seejillrun @semjaja @sianipops @silverlight @sioux @smapp @smevvy @so-lo-webb @soseema @spanner @stephomy @steveh @suebarni @sullivar @summerbl4ck @summerfield @sunshinephoto5 @susale @swguevin @syncope @synke @taffy @tammeray @taz_o @tealgarciaphotography @thomasthoth @tigerdreamer @transatlantic99 @twistergirl @voiceprintz @vstap @welcometocarolworld @wenbow @wildernesswillie @willowdragon @yaorenliu @zabcoloma @skjgraphics
September 30th, 2014
oh I know this artist - my mum had a print or two hanging for many years
September 30th, 2014
i can't wait to see everyones entries!!
September 30th, 2014
lovely
September 30th, 2014
Great choice! I like his use of blue and yellow tones together (what a surprise...) and obviously the light in his work is amazing. It was really cool to see all the photos inspired by the Girl with the pearl earring (the last link above), and how none of them could touch the original.
September 30th, 2014
Ooooh, I love his work! This will be fun!
September 30th, 2014
@peeliks @hiiretips
Care to join in the fun?
September 30th, 2014
@janim The one with the doll cracked me up though.
September 30th, 2014
@janim @stephomy

Oh, how I'd love to see some girls with a pearl earrings among the entries!
September 30th, 2014
One idea that popped into my head, was about how many of the paintings show a person working their profession. The Geographer, The Milkmaid, and The Astronomer for example. It might be cool to do something with more modern professions.
September 30th, 2014
@stephomy What a great idea! And to create a lighting in Vermeer's style one can use a computer screen instead of a window ;)
September 30th, 2014
Really good choice! He was such a master of details and lighting. I'm anxious to see what people come up with!
October 1st, 2014
ooh yes - great selection - there are plenty of options!
October 2nd, 2014
@sassik Oooh, very cool thought about the computer-screen lighting.
October 8th, 2014
my entry:

October 21st, 2014
Vermeer seems to be hot - check out the latest news from the streets: http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/new-banksy-piece-vermeer-girl-with-a-pearl-earring
Write a Reply