Lightroom 5 import issue

October 20th, 2014
Hi

This is only a minor issue but one i find annoying,and I am sure there is an easy fix but can't seem to find it in the help section of lightroom.

Is there a way to stop the embedded previews being downloaded with the RAW files? I just go through and delete them all after which adds time and effort to the workflow.

As I say there is probably a very simple way of doing this and i just can't see it.

Thanks
October 20th, 2014
hmmm... what are the embedded previews? either i don't have this happening, or whatever they are, they don't bother me!
October 20th, 2014
No, they are an integral part of the raw files, embedded within them. As far as I am aware.
October 20th, 2014
@northy They are jpegs that are created by lightroom and end up in my destination folder
October 20th, 2014
@frankhymus Are they supposed to end up in my destination file as jpegs?
October 20th, 2014
? Are you shooting in jpg and raw? Or just raw? I'm pretty sure I don't have jpgs coming thru
October 20th, 2014
George, when you select the Import option from within the Library mode, there is a right-side panel that has File Handling and Apply During Import drop down menus. There are options for building previews at import versus when you're working on files, and imports of suspected duplicates. I shoot ONLY in raw and never have a problem. I do not have LR build Smart Previews on import. I do apply Keywords at import. Not sure if this will help.
October 20th, 2014
Agreed with @northy. Is your camera possibly set to shoot in RAW+JPG? It sounds like it. The Lightroom previews are actually stored in the Lightroom catalog files and should not be showing up in your import folder as a separate JPG. If you're getting both a RAW file and a JPG file in your import folder then it really sounds like your camera shooting RAW+JPEG. If you are seeing them as separate files in the import folder but not as separate images in Lightroom itself, then there is an option in Lightroom Preferences -> General -> Import Options to have them show as separate images in Lightroom.
Write a Reply