Nikon D810 or D750

October 23rd, 2014
I have seen so many helpful discussions here on various topics ranging from camera settings, to lenses, accessories, and processing. I am just constantly amazed at how knowledgeable people here at 365 are, and how willing they are to share that with the community. So, what better place to ask this question: what should my new camera be!! I am a Nikon person (way too much money invested in glass!), been using the D90 for more than 5 years now, and ready to upgrade to a full frame camera. I was coveting the D800s, and when the D810 came out I was ready to pull the plug (it's my birthday present going back to August!), but now there's the D750 with very similar specs and costing $1K less. What are your recommendations? Would you choose one over the other? Anybody using the 810 already? I would love to hear from some Nikon people.
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
October 23rd, 2014
I read an article on just this yesterday in amateur photographer that I get in the UK. The below is not quite the same as I read in print but may be of some help.

. http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/dslrs/nikon-d750-hands-review

October 23rd, 2014
There are many aspects to consider. Do you really need a resolution of 36 megapixel? What are you going to do with your photos? Are you going to print them really big? (Bigger than A3) It yes, then the D800/D810 would be the choice. But be warned: this beast produces photos of 40MB each (if shooting RAW what you should do anyways). Bigger memory cards, bigger storage in your computer, more horse powers in your computer if you do a lot of post processing (what you most likely will do if you print that big...). And you need a very good shooting discipline to shoot sharp photos (or use a tripod). Otherwise: the D750 is a perfect camera for a competitive price.
BTW: with the D810 you will discover the quality of your lenses very quickly (if you compare a zoom lens with a prime lens you will see the difference). I love my D800 :-)
October 23rd, 2014
@mbrunner Osla, I'd agree with Martin. On the video side of things, the D750 has the tilt display which can be helpful. If the lenses/glass you have is only DX, you'll really want to invest in some FX full frame lenses so you'll be looking at some added costs for that as well. You can shoot with your DX but the whole idea is to go to full-frame if you're paying for it. If you do go the D750 route, you'll spend the saved $1K on glass for sure. I have a D600, D7000, D200 and a D70....and I'm looking at both units as well. Good luck on your decision.
October 23rd, 2014
They are both truly excellent cameras, so much stronger than the D800E/D610 that they are significant upgrades to.

Some D810 advantages.
1. Real ISO 64.
2. Quiet, no shake shutter option. Even without the option the shutter is quieter than the "quiet" mode on the D750. This is a big deal if shooting hand held at longer shutters and in churches, museums, weddings. Even on tripods at long focal lengths especially. It has escaped under many people's radar.
3. A shutter at 1/8,000. But when was the last time you wanted to shoot anything above 1/2,000?
4. Of course huge pixel count, but to what advantage unless you need a 9'x6' poster and have the printer to do it. Even 24mp is overkill, really. But it gives bragging rights over the Canon 5Diii. Some might consider this a minus even! All those huge files, and you really do super glass and excellent shooting technique or every little imperfection in glass and technique will be magnified mercilessly. Even with the 24mp of the D750, you have to be careful.
5. No AA filter. But the D750's is so very mild it doesn't count for much.

Some D750 advantages.
1. A full 6.5 frames per second. But really, when was the last time you needed that unless you are a sports/action professional?
2. Slightly more advanced video, but the D810 is so much better than the D800 it shouldn't matter much at all. And if you don't shoot video?
3. Incredible Auto Focus, especially in low light (or no(?) light!). The material says a new CCD/Auto Focus sensor (over the 810 even), but I've seen no concrete results. This is a huge difference from the D610 which does blind quickly in poor light. But the D810 is superb too.
4. The U1 and U2 custom settings on the mode dial. The D8xx series inexplicably omits these.
5. The tilting LCD. I thought I would miss the fully articulating LCD on the D5100 when I upgraded to the D7100. I didn't miss it at all.
6. Built in WiFi.
7. And according to Ken Rockwell, I must admit I didn't notice when I rented it and I haven't since checked, the D810 doesn't have an AF-A auto focus mode. The D750 does, as does about every other current DSLR from Nike. No biggie for me, I never use it on other cameras, consciously preferring to pick AF-S or AF-C. It is for some though.
8. And the price.

The D750 is a little smaller and lighter than the D810, and it is noticeable. I have rented both for a weekend each. As a point of reference, I find the D7100 slightly lighter and smaller yet, even better feeling in my hands.

Truly, you will not be disappointed with either.
October 31st, 2014
@newbank @mbrunner @mikegifford @frankhymus @icamera First of all, thank you all for responding to my query, and for trying to make this process a little easier. Sorry about being so late to respond, but I have been reading so many reviews and articles on both cameras that literally my brain hurts! I do a lot of research for big purchases like this, especially when it is such an important tool for something I love doing.

As you know, I shoot with a D90. What you didn't know was that in anticipation of acquiring a full frame camera in the future I made sure to get some lenses that could be used with that. So, I already own the Nikkor 24-70 f2.8, and the 105 f2.8 macro. My zoom (Nikkor 70-300 f4.5-5.6, and my Tokina 11-16 f2.8 wide angle) could use upgrading, but maybe the next round. I have really outgrown my beloved D90, and it is also showing signs of wear and tear.

So, after much deliberation I decided to go with the D810! I liked both cameras a lot, which is the main reason why this was such a difficult decision. But, I hold on to my equipment for a long time, so I wanted to grow into the D810, and I felt that it would definitely challenge me to become a better photographer. Yes, bigger files, definitely need to get better at post processing (I shoot RAW and jpeg), need better tripod, and better shooting discipline, but that's exactly the point, right?! I like to push myself, and I feel that this camera will also push me to excel in my photography, or I will fail miserably!

To answer some of your questions (and, also to hopefully assist anybody else who is debating between the two cameras):

1. No, I don't think I need 36 megapixels, and as a matter of fact, I find that number intimidating, and the file sizes scary! But, if I ever had a special photo that I wanted to print real big, it would be nice to know that I have that option. The comforting thing is that you can set the camera to shoot at 20 or 9 MP, or to the crop mode, and that reduces the file sizes to a quarter of that number.
2. Coming from the D90 where the lowest native ISO is 200, I am loving the idea of ISO 64.
3. I kind of like the idea of the articulating LCD screen on the D750, but frankly I don't shoot much video, and I don't think I would miss it.
4. Again, the D750 shoots 6.5 fps as opposed to the 5 fps of the D810 (the D810 runs at 7 FPS in DX mode with the right grip and batteries), but I don't specialize in sports or action photography, so it was not a deal breaker for me.
5. I do wish that the D810 had built-in WiFi like the D750 does. I looked at the optional WiFi accessories, and they are pricey, so I will wait and see if I really need that add-on.
6. The D810 is supposed to be incredibly quiet, even in the regular mode, but even more so in the Quiet Mode.
7. The D810 is supposed to be incredibly sharp.
8. The High Dynamic Range (I think the in-camera HDR is up to 7 bracketed shots).
9. I understand that it lacks the U1 and U2 custom settings and the AF-A mode, but I don't use either, and will probably not miss them.
10. It is supposed to be heavier and bulkier than the D810, but really, in either case, this is not supposed to be a portable travel camera that you can stick in your pocket!
11. I think the D750 excels in wedding, sports, action, and event photography, but I do not intend to specialize in any of them. I am an architect by profession, and I am more interested in landscapes, travel, the built environment, and night photography. If I were to take this commercially, I would probably specialize in architectural or travel photography, so I felt that this was the right camera for me, and I cannot wait to start using it. I am sure there will be a learning curve, and some frustrating moments, but I will keep you apprised of any.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me with my decision making. Looking forward to sharing my photos with you all.
October 31st, 2014
Well, good luck to you. BTW, If you are shooting raw, you can use 12 bit NEF files rather than 14, and you can compress the files. Compressed 12 bit will save you 50% in raw space, and it will be difficult to tell the difference. But IMHO, it seems to defeat the purpose of the 36mp format to shoot at 20 or 9, relying on the camera to do its own resampling and possibly detail loss before you have even handed off to the editor.

Now that you are shooting full frame, do not be surprised that your good full frame lenses present a very different frame mounted on an FX body rather than a DX body. Much "wider." Also now that you are using the FX lenses all the way to the edge, you may find that significantly more lens distortion creeps in than what you found on a DX body. All very normal, but it can be a little disconcerting at first. At least I found it so.
October 31st, 2014
@frankhymus Thank you, Frank! BTW, I just wanted to give you a special thanks for all your assistance whenever someone asks for advice on anything related to photography. Your answers are thorough and well researched, and I am very impressed that you take the time to understand the issues and help.

I just ordered the D810 this morning from B&H after much negotiation. I should have it here mid week, and then I will start playing with it. I may stay with the 20 or 9 MP while I am learning how to use it, but once I get the hang of it I will force myself to shoot at 36. I have plenty of external hard drives that I use to back up my documents, and especially my photos, so they will fill up a little faster.

Yes, I think it will be a little disconcerting when I mount my lenses on the FX body. I will let you know how it feels, and whatever else that I find novel about the camera.

Again, thank you for all your input.

Osia
December 19th, 2014
let's get away from the megapixel talk for a moment. I owned the D800 and just sold it on Amazon, of course that happened to be on the same day I received my D810 (from B & H)

But here is why I switched. Megapixels are nice, I mean really nice, but there are a few features that a D750 (or any other FX camera in the Nikon line up) cannot give you (packaged in one model) - but a D810 can.

1. ISO 64
2. 1/8000 shutter
3. No anti-alias filter period - removed all sensor my man!!
4. Group Area Auto Focus.
5. a generous set of other features
6. highest rating at DXO (for you spec junkies) - though some say this is rigged / Nikon-biased; I have conversed with camera owners who own other Nikon cams and Sony, and they just drool (and trust) the D810's unprecedented quality.
7. I'd go far as to call this camera and 8k still photo camera (along with the other D800 family of cameras) res: 7,360 (almost 8k across) x 4,912 = "4 x HD screen wide photos" 4 x 1920 = 7680

Anyway - for me, it's a function of options and capability - e.g. choices.

I am a newbie at photography by a mere 5 years - still wet behind the ears. I started out on a D7000, yet not too long after that I dumped it for the D800. was that a wise choice? Then, of course, dumped that, for a D810.

I loved the D800 and look to really take advantage of the D810's "finer" discreet abilities, it's "attention to detail"

Interesting mention - a friend of mine who owns the D800, recently rented the D4s for a couple of days, loved it quite a bit but would not trade it for the D800, yet oddly he is not jumping to the D810.

WOW! 72 meg for a full uncompressed raw image - I can't even fit that in my car!!!

I took 100 images, 7.2GB on the card, oh my.

But, to me, I can't wait to really test it - it's just a day old to me. Oh yeah, how could I take 100 photos in just a few hours, for testing, well, I did not do that really. I've taken about a dozen so far... what gives?

I purchased the D810 about a week or so ago, overnight from B & H. not knocking them, but something was "just not right" when I got the camera, and then when I went to shoot it, whoa!!! something was really wrong.

This camera had like Alzheimer's, or had a stroke, or something like that - The focus was way off and intermittent at that. about every 10th image or so, may or may have not been in exact focus, some better than others. I like using the AF On button, and that worked half the time, as the lens constantly "hunted" even with the AF On button fully pressed. I had to fight the camera basically to take a picture... there was so much C.A. in all my images too, was it my lens? that's what I began to think, but read on, it gets worse...

I won't get into the particulars as to how I received the product, but just the same - B & H remedied the issue and sent me a new one already. and I already know the riddle's answer, this new D810 is way way different then the first one I received - perfect, focuses on the edge of the dime - for lack of better words... and NO C.A. Yippie!!!!!!!

I was using a Nikkor 85mm 1.8, and oh noooo, I have to dust - I took a test picture of a light bulb in my apt and it had hair, well, dust - I could see the dust, clearly, and I mean clearly the individual fibers of dust on top of the bulb. Ok, this is not personal hygiene TMI, just a testament to the D810's "ability". I gotta clean!!!

But as far as a D750, well, it was in consideration - serious consideration, as a couple of features on it attracted me, but I could not give up the 1/8000 nor the chance to use 64 ISO on a no anti-alias cam, just could not...

Coming to a close - theoretically, some of the smaller (less) megapixel cameras boast overall larger pixel sensors, which are rendering a higher latitude in ISO range, and that's an attractive quality too. A good example would be the D4s or Sony's A7s, which push the envelope in top "native" ISO ranges, yet both of those cameras just do not touch the D810 dynamically, just don't...

And I will say something about the megapixels now, at least 36.3 (D810 and the D800). at 36.3 megapixels, it's the closest thing to a true 35mm format ratio wise - almost a 1 to 1, whereas a 24 x 16 (or whatever is a fraction) - maybe that has no bearing on anything, but it was worth a mention...

I remember take a picture about 60 - 75ft from a group of Chicago's Chinatown city officials w / name badges that had their positions embossed under their names using the D800 and the Nikon 50mm f1.8 - I could clearly make out their positions underneath the names. Now, do that with a 24mp camera. It was all megapixels baby, all megapixels...

That's the difference!!

and so it goes...
December 21st, 2014
@robertgregory Hello Robert,
Thank you for all the feedback on the D810. I got mine from B&H, too, but I have not had much of a chance to try it out yet! I am hoping that it does not have any issues, and I did call Nikon with the serial number to confirm that this one does not have the high ISO noise issues.

Yes, it won over the D750 for all the reasons you stated and more, and I am happy to have it. I am a little annoyed at Nikon for lowering the price by $300 (instant rebate!) so soon after its release, but what can you do? I am really looking forward to trying it out soon...just have to figure out all the basic functions and buttons, and then start shooting! So excited about the native 64 ISO, as my D90 only goes down to 200!

Anyway, you must be new here, so welcome!! It is a great community, and we all learn from each other. I went to check your profile, and saw that you have not posted any photos yet. I know we all get busy with the holidays, but I would like to follow you when you start posting, and we can compare how the photos come out with our new cameras. It would give me an added incentive to start shooting!

See you around soon.
Write a Reply