Who shows their set up for photo's?

October 24th, 2014
I would love to see how some of you are setting up for your photo's so I can learn better. Like the water and oil for one. I have tried it with no success at all. Wanting to learn from you.
October 24th, 2014
there are also a lot of very easy tutorials on youtube. just google what kind of shot you want and you'll find a lot of them.
October 24th, 2014
i very rarely do - more out of laziness than anything else... i will always answer questions about set-up... almost all of mine are the result of trial and error and i know i love hearing how others handle this as it can save oodles of time and frustration! this is one (sort-of) set up shot i did... i thought i had a couple others, but couldn't find them on a quick look thru my albums...

October 24th, 2014
@northy - that is so cool!
October 24th, 2014
I never have any shots cool enough to require much set up! LOL! However, I have found that if you ask how they took a shot of got the effect, most on 365 will tell you how they did it. That's how I learned to take great pictures of the moon instead of just taking a picture of a bright blog in the sky.
October 24th, 2014
@summerfield @northy @not_left_handed @miata2u

I so show my BHS everynow and then but not so much on here.

You can follow me on facebook or my websites.

www.BrendanMaunder.com or www.PhotographicWorkshop.com.au (more so on this one as this is all about instruction and learning)

You can get my face book details of my 365 profile or off my contact details on my pages.
October 24th, 2014
@agima oh I will definitely check out your sites - I'm all about learning new stuff.

I so wish I would have taken a picture of my set up for my attempt at splash photography (which actually made the popular page to my surprise) ... I'm definitely a "poor man's" photographer. I had a cardboard box set up on a table with a ceramic dish holding it down. I clear taped the glass at an angle on the box - on the higher end. I put towel on the table under the glass and a bowl to catch the water underneath. I had a bucket with water and blue food coloring and a measuring cup to scoop and pour the water. My camera was set up on a tripod (a must for this). I bought a white pressboard from the Dollar Store which was the backdrop (I had whatever I could grab from the house on the back sides of it holding it up on the table). I had the window light from behind it, but I may have also used a spot light - this requires lots of light. I actually needed more light but this is all I had, but it came out pretty good. I have a remote shutter release too so that help (that's actually a really cheap and good accessory to have)

Anyway, that was my "rigged" setup - next time I'll take a picture if I ever attempt it again. And I must say with 3 cats hanging around, it was definitely a challenge! But here was my end result:

October 24th, 2014
@not_left_handed from my point of view and what I tell
My students how you take the shirt and what you have to do to get the shot has nothing to do with the final shot.... If people love the final shot you have done a great job.
October 24th, 2014
@northy love the set up ...did the shot make your project? not sure if I missed it ?
October 25th, 2014
@lesip yes - it was posted the day after the set up shot :)
October 29th, 2014
Thank you all so very much. I am ready to try some new things.
Write a Reply