Which Camera to Buy??

October 26th, 2014
I know there's probably already a discussion about this, but I couldn't find it, and figured I'd start my own. Anyways, I currently have a Nikon Coolpix L310... I know, I know not very impressive but it has worked well for me and I got a good two years of work out of it. Although its a nice camera it is being a bit "elementary" for me. I just mean that I have learned more about ISO, aperture, shutter speed, etc. and I'd like to explore that area of photography more. I have used/borrowed my friend's Canon Rebel t5i, for about a month now and i have learned so much. I really have taken some amazing pictures (not to pat myself on the back *pat pat*). Back to the point, I am on a limited budget camera wise but I still want a quality DSLR... I would greatly appreciate any input on brand, model, new v. used, and anything else important

Thank you in advance :)
October 26th, 2014
Last Christmas I wanted to get a DSLR, but they were so expensive. I went with the Nikon Coolpix P520. So far, it has been able to do everything I've wanted it to do. It has a 42x zoom. And, it's affordable. Good luck finding an affordable DSLR, but if you give up like I did, try the P520. I love it.
October 26th, 2014
@homeschoolmom Thanks for replying! I took a look at the P520, and it looks incredible. I was just wondering, how much freedom do you have in manual mode? This camera may become a serious option as I am familiar with Nikon, and pretty much broke. haha
October 26th, 2014
I was going to recommend a point and shoot with all the options on it-av, tv, manual etc. I had an old a640 from canon forever and it had all of those features (and more) and it was fun playing with it, learning a lot so when I could afford a dslr I knew a bit about some of the settings. The layout of the dials and buttons and menus were similar enough that it was a pretty easy transition.
October 26th, 2014
@mmandella I have used manual shutter speed for taking moon pics that turned out great. I have taken some other slow shutter pics, but that's about all I have used in manual. I haven't figured out manual focus at all, at least not yet. But, it has many settings, including various manual settings. My kids are glad I went with the 520 and not a DSLR. They say I take up enough time stopping for pictures. Having to change lenses would take even longer! LOL!
October 26th, 2014
The Nikon entry level cameras, new, the D3300 and the D5300 are both excellent. The D5300 for US$200 more has a few important features (auto bracketing for one) that I would consider worth the difference, along with a fully articulated LCD monitor that you can swing around to all sorts of angles. You can get a deal on the D5200 now that the D5300 is in the market, and I would not consider it out of line for me to recommend a used D5100, say from eBay. I heartily recommend the D7100, it is my current "go to" camera, but at US$1,000 body only, it is probably over your budget.

I haven't shot with any of the Canon Rebel line, but my niece who works for a photo studio has, and she was more than happy with her T5i, and has upgraded to the EOS 70D recently. That would probably be beyond your budget too I suspect, but it is a great camera. It and the Nikon D7100 are competitors for the same market segment.

Something to look at, too, are the "mirrorless" system cameras, all the features of a DSLR, but smaller, lighter, and many with a nifty LCD Touch Screen interface. Except for the current Canon 70D, I don't know of a Canon or Nikon "advanced" camera with such an interface. Yet. The Sony A5000 and A6000 (the 6000 has an electronic viewfinder I would not feel comfortable without). The Lumix G5 and G6, and Olympus OM series are all excellent.

Good luck with whatever you decide on. There are so many good choices and the market is so competitive that you really can't go wrong with any of the name brands that fit in your budget. If you can, though, rent (or at least try) before you buy.
October 26th, 2014
I work for a major brand, so I'm going to be as neutral as I can on this. You won't go far wrong with a Nikon or a Canon. They both have excellent entry level DSLRs and bridge cameras. In my opinion Nikon's are more robust, their higher level models have metal bodies rather than plastic, and I've have 2 friends that have both had expensive breakdowns recently on Canon 7D's and 5D's. Fujifilm also do some excellent bridge cameras. I don't know where you are based but I would get yourself to a good photo dealer and have a play. You need to handle the camera, it needs to "feel" right in your hands, so don't just buy from the internet, you could be disappointed. Stick with a known brand name and buy the best that your budget will run to. Good luck
October 26th, 2014
@mmandella
In February I upgraded from a Nikon Coolpix P100 to a Nikon D3200 and I love it. The quality/clarity in the photos is so much better in my opinion although I still have some issues as far as indoor photography and lighting, but I'm still learning. As far as shooting manual settings (sans manual focus, I haven't figured that out yet), I found the hardest part was just learning the different menu system between the two cameras. Also something to consider is what you want to shoot and what lenses you will need for those particular shots. My intent for the D3200 was bird photographs and my 55-200 lens works well for those. I also have a 18-55 lens for close up photos and I'm considering getting a macro lens.

Good Luck!
October 26th, 2014
@mej2011 Glad to hear you enjoy your Nikon D3200. A great support to see you though any learning issues is the "From Snapshots to Great Shots"," the D3200 specific one by Rob Sylvan. $16 well spent. The D5100 book got me started on the right track with all the right habits from the get go. http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D3200-Snapshots-Great-Shots/dp/0321864433/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414352099&sr=8-1&keywords=from+snapshots+to+great+shots+nikon+d3200.
October 26th, 2014
@frankhymus
Thanks Frank! I've added it to the list books photography books I want.
October 26th, 2014
I took a basic DSLR camera course when I bought mine, and the first thing the teacher said was, that the good news is that the class has only nikon or canon users, and as they are the best makes, that makes his job easier. I also have a nikon D3200 and its a great entry camera that takes such beautiful photos and I don't think you could go wrong with that, or its replacement the D3300 for a first DSLR. If buying a first camera again, I'd still go for my D3200
October 27th, 2014
I have the Canon t4i and love it!!!!
October 27th, 2014
@froggie0628

do you know why it was discontinued?
October 27th, 2014
@mmandella I'm not really sure. I know shortly after I got mine they came out with the T5 or T5i. I have had no problems what so ever with mine.
October 27th, 2014
i'm a big olympus fan myself, but as far as price, go to the manufacturers websites. they often deeply discount older models plus offer refurbished cameras. refurbished is usually cheaper than used which makes no sense to me.
Write a Reply