Technique Challenge 34 - Minimalism

November 21st, 2014
I am thrilled to have won the HDR technique challenge and to be hosting this one.

For the next challenge I have chosen Minimalism Photography.

A quick internet search provided a number of articles and images on this subject for inspiration. You can click on the links below

http://photography.tutsplus.com/articles/less-is-more-50-examples-of-minimalist-photography--photo-3914

http://www.designyourway.net/blog/inspiration/the-amazing-art-that-is-minimalist-photography-39-examples/

http://digital-photography-school.com/minimalist-photography-4-tips-to-keep-it-simple-with-a-maximum-impact/

This challenge starts Today Friday 21st November and will run until Wednesday 3rd December Midnight AEDT. Photos to be considered for the challenge should be taken and posted within that time frame.

Please tag your shots technique34.

As a bit of background for those new to this challenge, the host selects a specific technique to try. The technique may be brand new for some or just a challenge to be creative or practice for others. Previous techniques have covered quite a bit of ground:

1. Low key
2. Motion blur
3. Split toning
4. Flipped reflections
5. Long exposure
6. Professional looking portraits
7. Mini portraits
8. Rim lighting
9. High/fast shutter speed
10. Vintage in modern
11. Double/multiple exposure
12. Forced perspective
13. Zoom burst
14. Multiplicity
15. Panning photography
16. ICM
17. Shaped bokeh
18. B&W
19. High key
20. In the night
21. One-light lighting
22. Refractions
23. Selective color
24. Tilt-shift
25. Into the sun/flare photography
26. white background
27. macro photography
28. Shooting blind
29. Framing
30. Light painting
31. Slow sync flash
32. Silhouettes
33. HDR (High Dynamic Range)

Constructive & kind feedback is encouraged. Feel free to share tips, suggestions or how you were able to get the terrific photo you did. Posting your photo on this thread is encouraged but not required.

I will look forward to seeing the wonderful images that you create.

November 21st, 2014
I am copying in the people who took part in the last challenge and some others who may be interested. If your name isn't on the list and you would like to be added to the next list please state below or if you want your name deleted please also state below.

@flyrobin @annied @kali66 @dmdfday @lambda @elaine55 @hopess13 @888rachel @ksmale @archielogical @nicoleterheide @pitasmum @egad @tonygig @agedrunner @pammerritt @agedrunner @homeschoolmom @bill_fe @aponi @Weezilou @kriema @pitasmum @frankhymus @karlow75 @lleo @bella_ss

@nicolecampbell @newbank @amandal @emiko @lynnz @hermann @redpants @taffy @andrewkru @tomtom
@ericdibosco @cljs @kwind @joemuli @roseolivia @paulaw @orangecrush @abhijit
@pflaume @pamknowler @jackie8 @northy @louuncouth @amandal @aecasey @linc @aliha
November 21st, 2014
Here are a couple from my project, but there are much better images on the links provided.

November 21st, 2014
@elaine55 Congrats on your win Elaine
November 21st, 2014
Congrats on the win! This sounds like fun, I'm going to give it a try.
November 21st, 2014
@bill_fe @stevej Thank you Bill and Steve, I will look forward to your entries!
November 21st, 2014
Oh darn! My posting for today would have worked, but I'm a day early! I'm going to try -- I need something to get me back into photography again and have it not just be about the fire. Great idea!
November 21st, 2014
@taffy Taffy I did think of putting Friday/Thursday USA time as we are ahead here but haven't seen anyone else do that so I didn't want to confuse. I am glad you have something to focus on and I thought you would enjoy this challenge.
November 21st, 2014
@elaine55 Congrats on the win, Elaine! I would love to enter in the minimalist challenge.
November 21st, 2014
@elaine55 Congrats Elaine. Great challenge.
November 21st, 2014
Your date is a tad confusing, do you mean Thursady 20th or Friday 21st as your start day? Great challenge though!
November 21st, 2014
November 21st, 2014
This is a great idea, I also need something to draw me back in. I will start focussing on 'less is more'
November 21st, 2014
@elaine55 please add my name. Thanks
November 21st, 2014
@salza Apologies I should have put the 21st which I have done now. Thanks for bringing to my attention. I will look forward to seeing your images.
November 21st, 2014
@lleo That's great I will look forward to seeing your images and I will add you into the list so you may get another notification of this thread.
November 21st, 2014
great, this sounds interesting
November 21st, 2014
Ooooh, I just love minimalist photography! I will definitely join in.
November 21st, 2014
good one, I find this hard
November 21st, 2014
Oh, good one! Time to put my thinking cap on!
November 21st, 2014
@elaine55 - This looks like a challenging one to me Elaine. Thank you for the links to the examples of the technique! I sure hope to participate if time allows.
November 21st, 2014
I would love to be added to the list Elaine, thanks.
November 21st, 2014
Sue
Congrats on the win Elaine, & the clubs exhibition was wonderful last night. Thanks so much for inviting me.
November 22nd, 2014
I'm new to this(365project)and I'm amazed at the talented people out there. I will watch in awe. No doubt learn along the way.
November 22nd, 2014
This is a new idea for me and mostly I'm stumped. I have two so far that I think might work though:

November 22nd, 2014
Very different concept for me. Great challenge, first attempt:
November 23rd, 2014
My effort:

SMILE!
November 23rd, 2014
@archielogical neat shot!
November 23rd, 2014
@kt8ird very minimalistic!
November 23rd, 2014
@aponi well done, it's not an easy subject to do!
November 23rd, 2014
@talula Louise anyone can take part in these challenges, I have listed some links above to help. Welcome to 365.
November 23rd, 2014
@bella_ss I moved you up to the original list, look forward to seeing your images Sheralee.
November 23rd, 2014
@skipt07 it's great to see you have an entry that you can tag for the challenge Skip!
November 23rd, 2014
@homeschoolmom Looking forward to your images Lisa.
November 23rd, 2014
@kali66 Kali I am sure you will be able to do some entries so I will look forward to seeing what you produce.
November 23rd, 2014
@lambda @lstasel I am looking forward to seeing your entries Amit and Laura.
November 24th, 2014
Here is my first try for the challenge. I can't decide if I need a little more negative space. I was supposed to do Black & White but just had to add a little color back in.
November 24th, 2014
another attempt today went with selective color this time

November 24th, 2014
a couple of my entries... I'm loving this challenge :)
November 24th, 2014
having a go with this one
November 25th, 2014
@elaine55 Hey! Would love to try this, please count me in!!
November 25th, 2014
Sue
Well done on your win Elaine, Please count me in for the next one. Hopefully tomorrow won't be so busy and I can get out!
November 26th, 2014
November 26th, 2014
November 27th, 2014
Persimmon on the Sill

November 30th, 2014
Under the Overpass

December 1st, 2014
wanted to add this one to the list, but cant see how to add a tag to an uploaded photo?

December 1st, 2014
Sun Baked Bricks and Ceramic Sun

December 1st, 2014
@emblegemble Hi Emma, click on the little circle next to the comment bubble under your photo and scroll down to the tag section and then type in technique34 and then scroll to bottom of the page and save.
December 1st, 2014
@annamaker thanks for all your entries Anna, you have certainly embraced the challenge.
December 1st, 2014
@cashew great Kathy there are a couple of days left for the challenge.
December 2nd, 2014
http://365project.org/cashew/365/2014-11-25

Not sure how to put a photo on here? I put technique34 in my tags!

December 2nd, 2014
@cashew To post a photo to a thread click on the 3 dots below your photo, then copy the link and then paste it to the thread.
December 2nd, 2014
thanks for the reminder! Totally forgot to publish this.

December 2nd, 2014
Sue
I so almost forgot about this!
December 2nd, 2014
Fil
HI Elaine,
Not sure if this fits
December 2nd, 2014
@elaine55 thanks! the little circle is not displayed on my screen, its invisible! i managed to find it in the end by hovering my mouse in generally the right area, thanks :)
December 2nd, 2014
Maybe not as minimalist as it could be, as it was unintended, but I saw the challenge, so tagging it!
December 2nd, 2014
December 2nd, 2014
Thanks Elaine, I clicked on everything but the 3 dots before!!! LOL
December 2nd, 2014
December 2nd, 2014
December 3rd, 2014
December 3rd, 2014
December 4th, 2014
@rockinrita @pammac @petk @petk @cashew @danette @filomel @sioux @tande @annamaker @emblegemble @annied @lambda @aponi @miata2u Thank you all for entering and I am sorry if I haven't managed to comment on your shots individually but there are over 150 entries and I know it's going to be hard to choose just 6 finalists out of all the wonderful images. Voting will commence in the next few days.
December 4th, 2014
This thread is now Closed.
Write a Reply