Camera Setting Challenge CSC14-17

November 25th, 2014
Thank you for voting my candlelit shot in the last camera settings challenge, and thank you to @alicenellis for hosting that last challenge.

I'm going to re-run a challenge i hosted a year and a half ago because i am thinking that there are a lot of 365-ers who've joined the site since then and so hopefully this will present you with a fun opportunity to experiment.

so...

Do some of the camera settings intimidate you? Do you want to learn how to develop your photography skills and learn how to use your camera effectively without always going back to the “auto” function? These challenges are for you!

This challenge is motion blur... "motion blur" is the "apparent streaking of rapidly moving objects in a still image. It results when the image being recorded changes during the recording of a single frame, either due to rapid movement or long exposure."

Basically the trick is to set the shutterspeed such that you capture the image of an object (or person!) in motion... different things move at different speeds, so choosing your shutterspeed to capture motion blur in an interesting and/or artistic way will require some trial and error...

-- if your subject is moving slowly, a shutterspeed that is too fast probably won't capture their movement...
-- if your subject is moving quickly, a shutterspeed that is too slow might not capture them at all ;D

The trick is to get just the right amount of motion blur for the image you're trying to capture...

here is a quick example... you will see that in the top image the shutter speed is so slow that the pages just all blend together in a mess... the second and third images are clearer (although clearly i wasn't flipping thru at the same speed each time or the difference between the two would have been more distinguishable)...

there are many motion blur shots on 365... here are a few examples... and if you click on the tag "motion blur" it will take you to many more...

this one is by @humphreyhippo http://365project.org/humphreyhippo/365/2012-11-30
here's one by @sparkle http://365project.org/sparkle/365/2012-12-06
and one by @ltodd http://365project.org/ltodd/extras/2013-02-15

one thing to bear in mind with this challenge is that you may need to use a smaller aperture in order to avoid overexposing your motion blur shot if you are working in very bright light... and if you're working in iffy light, you may need to bump up your iso....

here are a couple links that you may find useful:
http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-capture-motion-blur-in-photography
http://www.lightstalking.com/motion-blur-guide

Experienced photographers who are knowledgeable in this particular setting are encouraged to offer “kind and constructive” suggestions on the posted entries. Those entering this challenge want to learn and improve.

This challenge starts today, Monday, November 25 and will run until Friday, December 5th. All photos must be taken during these dates to be considered. Enter as many as you would like - the idea is to practice & learn. TAG YOUR PHOTO CSC14-17 AND post your picture in this thread to receive feedback from other experienced photographers specific to this challenge.

Expect to receive constructive suggests on how to improve your skills.

How to post your photo on this link:
1) Go to your page that has the photo you wish to post.
2) Copy the “share” code in the bottom right section of that page.
3) Return to this thread and paste the code under comments

Stretch your skills and have fun!
November 25th, 2014
I hope work isn't too busy for me to have a few goes at this - actually I was trying a bit of motion today that might fit nicely yay!
November 25th, 2014
Oh, sounds fun. Can't wait to try it.
November 26th, 2014
@annied @homeschoolmom excellent! looking forward to see what you come up with :)
November 27th, 2014
@northy Nice selection, Northy! I'll give it a try.
November 27th, 2014
@northy
My first go. I've been doing lots of these recently so thought i'd post on here. I will post another if today's shot comes off as I want.
November 28th, 2014
@stevecameras this is cool! i would not originally have thought of light trails as being "motion blur" - but i can see that it works :)
November 29th, 2014
@northy Hi Northy, I hope this qualifies for the motion-blur challenge :)
I wanted to get sharp focus on the eye while still having the wings blurry so I had to play around with the shutter speed a bit... Thanks for the challenge.

November 29th, 2014
I took this during the ballgame without a tripod, so my background is blurred. Used a 1/30th shutter speed which I think worked well for the ball and net. My take on it is to use a tripod to avoid camera movement. Any suggestions are appreciated.
November 29th, 2014
@mbemis hi Mannie... this is a really cool idea for playing around with motion blur... 1/30s shutter speed is definitely better with a tripod... it can be done if you've got a steady hand, and it can help if you prop yourself against something... but definitely, a tripod is better... that would get you the crisp background leaving just the net and ball with the motion blur and that would be cool!... plus, with the tripod set up, you could experiment more easily with the shutter speed to see whether a bit faster, or a bit slower, gets you the result you are after!
November 29th, 2014
@lambda oh yes - nicely done... good to get the head sharply in focus with just the blur on the wings...
November 30th, 2014
Hows this?

November 30th, 2014
Here's another one :)
November 30th, 2014
And this is the last one i promise ;)
November 30th, 2014
the drummer is great! i really like how the body is caught quite still with all the motion in the hands... i'm curious, did you experiment with different shutter speeds? i wonder if you could get a little more detail in the hands whilst still capturing the motion?

and your little soccer player ends up being very artistic :)

@lambda
November 30th, 2014
Maybe this one is better?

November 30th, 2014
@zosimasy oh yes - now you can clearly see the motion effect... nicely done!
December 2nd, 2014
@northy on the drummer I tried 1/10, 1/50 and 1/100 - problem was I was unable to get part of the hand in focus because he would go through these 'faster' movements from time to time. I should've probably shot continuously to capture him during the 'slower' periods... Good point though about the focus...

On the little soccer player, it was actually a mistake - I used 1/13 sec but I really wanted to use 1/50 or something - nevertheless, the colors and the effect turned out to be very interesting, at least to me :)
Write a Reply