Nikon D5200

November 28th, 2014
I was just wondering if any of you have a Nikon D5200. Do you like it and would you recommend it? I currently have a Canon rebel T1i. I'm looking to get something with multiple exposure capabilities. Thank you for your time and advice!
November 28th, 2014
I have a D5200, my main album is iPhone only but the images in my extras album are with the D5200. I've been quite pleased and I picked it over the D7100 because the D5200 had higher megapixels but if I could go back I'd probably pick the D7100 for a variety of reasons such as more buttons for quick manual control and commander mode for on-camera flash just to name two things. But again I'm quite pleased with it. Have never used the on board multi-exposure feature on it and instead have blended images with greater control over the result via Photoshop layers. Hope this info helps.
November 28th, 2014
It's a most sound camera, takes excellent shots, jpegs and RAW, and has a very fine 24mp sensor. It's still an "entry level" DSLR, albeit advanced entry level - almost all changes except Aperture, Shutter Speed, and Exposure Compensation require a trip to the menus or the info screen and traversing several levels. And missing some features I consider essential, like wireless commander mode for the on-camera flash.

You will have to buy new lenses if you switch to Nikon of course. The Canon lenses you have do not fit the Nikon "F" mount. You can find good Black Friday deals on the D5200 camera, and I'd even recommend you look at "used" at something like ebay.com, now that the D5300 is in the market.

If you want "multiple exposures" only (and not auto bracketing) you might stick with your Canon and try an editor - Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, and there are a number of "free" ones too. GIMP especially is "full function" although not trivial, Picassa, and even Photoshop CS2 (a very old one) that can be had for free. http://www.techspot.com/downloads/3689-adobe-photoshop-cs2.html

All editor options cheaper than a new camera.
November 28th, 2014
@icamera @oreos808 The 7100 and the 5200 both have an effective 24mp sensor. But yes, the 7100 is a much more pro level camera for the feature set, much stronger AF, better low light performance (although the 5200 is pretty darn good) and the direct controls, just to mention a few areas.
November 28th, 2014
@frankhymus @icamera Okay those are definitely all things to think about! I don't want to get another camera that's basically the same as the one I have now.
November 28th, 2014
@frankhymus It must have been the 7000 I was thinking of and comparing in the camera shop back when I got the 5200
November 29th, 2014
@icamera That would be right.
November 29th, 2014
Jo
I have had the 5200 for nearly a year, after upgrading from a Nikon d70s. I love it and am learning more about it all the time. I'm not - and never will be - a professional photog, I just want to take nice shots and have some fun and this camera suits me perfectly. I bought one with a 18-55mm lens and a 55 - 300mm lens for a pretty reasonable price. My previous nikon lenses would fit this camera but the autofocus wouldn't work because of the different mechanics. It may be an entry level camera as Frank says but it's got everything I want.
November 29th, 2014
@joeymc I sure didn't mean to imply it is not an excellent camera. It is, and takes beautiful shots. I still use my original D5100 as backup and it always performs well. The D5200 does even better.
Write a Reply