New Nikon L330 pictures are blurry

November 29th, 2014
Hi Guys! Question. I am down grading from a D3100 to a L330 point and shoot for convenience purposes. I just got my L330 today and while taking pictures testing it out I notice it does not do well with moving objects like my D3100. Is there a way to set it so the shutter is faster so pictures are not blurry?
November 29th, 2014
Hi Heather,

Your new L330 has a wide variety of options that will help with moving objects. For us to better offer some suggestions, though, it would help if you uploaded a photo that contains the EXIF data. It's hard to tell what the actual problem is (low ISO, too slow a shutter speed, too small an aperture, etc.) without seeing an example with the EXIF. In the meantime, check out the option in your camera that will automatically increase the shutter speed for moving objects. It's on Page 47 of your manual:
http://download3.nikonimglib.com/archive1/7Wkcx00qzEHD001hpiZ83NRQwC95/L330RM_%28En%2901.pdf
November 29th, 2014
I have the camera set for "sports" pictures (running man icon) thinking that it would catch moving objects. I am not sure how I upload a picture with EXIF. I had to google that term ;0)
November 29th, 2014
When you load a photo on 365, the exif data is automatically displayed on the side of the page. Have a look at any photo on 365 and you will see what Ron is talking about.
November 29th, 2014
There, I uploaded an example. I am new to making changes. I have a Nikon D3100 but never took it off Auto :)
November 29th, 2014
Heather, in the example you uploaded, the following settings were used:
f/3.1
ISO 800
1/5 second

Even at the maximum ISO your camera can use - 1600 - that would still only be a 1/10 second exposure. There's simply not enough light in the room to use ambient light.

Frank suggested enabling the flash, and I agree. That would likely sync at 1/60 (although I haven't studied your camera manual to be positive.) Even 1/60 is a bit slow to really stop motion, though.

Bottom line, neither you nor your camera are doing anything wrong here. It's simply a matter of not having enough light in the room to stop motion. As an aside, though, in the photo you uploaded, the motion of his hand is actually beneficial. It adds a nice dynamic to the composition.
November 29th, 2014
@kannafoot @heatherann0806 You can surely raise the synch speed, I'll look it up for you, but the flash itself should do a reasonable job of stopping the motion even at 1/60.
Write a Reply