Lost my oomph..anyone got a rocket?

December 16th, 2014
Ok, so I know that everyone loses their oomph for their hobbies but i really wish i hadn't... I want to get out there and take photos... but working full time i leave the house when its dark, and by the time i get in its back to being dark again. The weekends have seen nothing but rain and I get no nice natural light in the house....

Does anyone have any suggestions?? Or perhaps a rocket??
December 16th, 2014
Selfies:))))). good luck!
December 16th, 2014
@amandal omg no.... lol the only selfies I take are when I have painted my face! lol
December 16th, 2014
Selfies have been my saviour as well!
December 16th, 2014
Could you do some mundane shots of/from where you work? Paperclips, files, pencils, or paper bags, corners, doors etc? I think it is this time of year, it gets a bit busy and a bit oomphless (love that word!)
This from someone who rarely posts currently too, New Year Resolution already; to search for oomph:0)
December 16th, 2014
Too, perhaps if you take a bunch of shots in a day and none the rest of the week, use the ones you like. have some in the bank and use them when you are not feeling it. My time of year is gross and I've been doing oodles of selfies and themes help, too.
December 16th, 2014
@claireuk Lol love your use of the oomph Claire! I haven't posted since the end of the summer holidays... and working in a school sort of limits the amount of photography I can do... what with all the craziness there is now surrounding safeguarding and so on... ( i know its necessary but some times it pushes the boundaries of sense) I had to get permission for children's parents to use a photograph i took whilst on a residential trip with the kids. They were all in silhouette. Bonkers.

@amandal I am going to have to try something... even if its just a pic of the christmas tree!! LOLOL
December 16th, 2014
@tori_shaw

Fish out some old loved photos and re-process them - colour to b&w etc?
December 16th, 2014
Take advantage of the darkness - especially this time of year with all the Christmas lights - and do some outdoor night scenes.

Take advantage of bad weather on the weekend by doing some street photography! Photographing people going about their business is bad weather makes for fascinating compositions.

December 16th, 2014
@quietpurplehaze Oooo got to love B and W :D might just have to do that.

@kannafoot Gosh Ron, street photography is scary! I am always worried that people will come up to me and challenge me for taking their photo!

On the upside, I have been playing with the christmas tree lights and some bokeh... so will have a look and see what I have got so far :D
December 16th, 2014
@michael1947 thanks michael, I have book marked that. I will def be taking a look at that more closely!
December 16th, 2014
Also I take a trip to the library and check out the photography books there or a local bookshop and look the through photography section. It can be inspiring and give some ideas for trying something totally different to anything you have tried before.
December 16th, 2014
What about some Christmas food shots - usually have a mince pie shot at this time of year and I see that last year I also featured cranberries and sprouts - I never photograph food any other time of year! Also when I get stuck for inspiration I change lenses (usually put my zoom on!) If you can drag yourself out you should get some lovely wet light street shots - my problem is in getting motivated!
December 16th, 2014
@michael1947 ok, so as an avid reader can you explain to me why i have never thought of that idea before!! lol I swear i have rocks in my head!

@judithg to be honest I think its managing to get out without the kids.. other half works tip late and there always seems to be a reason not to go out... think I am going to have to push myself a bit more to get out there.. even if its to my old favourite haunts and see if i can rustle up some different shots. I have never tried to do food... always seems to be a certain sort of photo/lighting that i haven't managed to master yet lol... theres a challenge there really lol
December 16th, 2014
No I'm rubbish at it but if you stick a few fairy lights around and throw a bit of icing sugar on (maybe not the sprouts) you can get away with murder!
December 16th, 2014
@judithg hahahahah nommy sprouts! Will have to have a bash at it.
December 16th, 2014
You have children? photograph them or perhaps bits of them, hands? feet? Also love the food idea. Good Luck! nothing worse than the phojo in retreat!
December 16th, 2014
@barneyone hahahahah phojo... love it I need a baby... not personally... but baby hands and feet... i love em... so cute!! my boy bites his nails and my daughter has verrucas! loll
December 16th, 2014
Tori, know just how you feel, so Sunday a mate came round and we went into the garage and did loads of water splash photography........it was awesome fun and didn't matter about the dark nights/mornings and rain!
December 16th, 2014
You might consider joining the get-pushed challenge list. I was intimidated, but have found it to be very helpful in focusing on a subject and working on that for the week.
December 16th, 2014
Gosh! I wish I had as much Ooomph as you when you are feeling out of Ooomph!
December 16th, 2014
@michael1947 I've bookmarked that too - some really interesting ideas! Now to make myself try some.
December 16th, 2014
When I don't have something, I choose an object in the home. Use word of the day. Try a new technique (low lighting? Use low-key effects). What did you eat? Choose one time of day for whatever you see that day. Anything. I say we all have ebbandflophojo; you are on ebb, but it will take just taking just about anything to get a shot. If this helps, here was one of the first days I "just did a shot" and I still remember it. :) It was based on word or theme of the day: "under." A million things exist right in front of us. Hope it gets better--have definitely been in your "shoes.' :)

December 16th, 2014
Oh and do you have a tripod? If so, your shots at night are limitless. Absolutely limitless. :)
December 16th, 2014
@tori_shaw What is the first thing you see when you leave the office?
December 16th, 2014
I know what you mean, Tori! I'm in a huge slump right now. Over Christmas break (I'm a teacher) I hope to get out to some antique shops, which always have fascinating oddities to photograph. Good luck! May we both come out of the doldrums soon! (And, just think, after Dec. 21st the days will start getting longer! WOO-HOO!) ;)
December 17th, 2014
Maybe show some of us not so talented like me, how you do some of your shots. Fun for you, great for us to learn. Just a thought.
December 17th, 2014
Can you take some street shots during lunch....or take a bunch on the weekends?
December 17th, 2014
Right now is a good time for Christmas photos. I find it hard to take pictures before or after work. But with the tree up, no problem!!!
December 17th, 2014
I too, get a bit lost if I don't have a photo during the daylight, but Get Pushed has been great lately for keeping me motivated: http://365project.org/discuss/themes-competitions/24308/get-pushed-week-125-monday-dec-15-to-sunday-dec-21
And I've had some great pushes lately that were dark friendly, including water drops, still life photography, and candle light portraits...
Good luck in finding your mojo!
December 17th, 2014
@tori_shaw

Tori - I might soon also be doing some b&w conversions!!!
December 17th, 2014
Hi Tori
Know what you mean but how about using a lamp to light objects in the house. Then try to take them from a different angle. Could try night photos indoors plus the xmas tree must be good for a few shots . Local decorations around you.

Like you my photography seems to have hit rock bottom but keep at it I am sure the New Year will bring some ideas.
December 17th, 2014
just go outside and randomly point the camera and shoot. never know what details you'll get...things you've never noticed before.
December 18th, 2014
I have restraints around needing a wheelie walker or wheelchair - so many avenues for photography are closed to me. At times I enjoy thinking up still life shots in the house. It can be interesting to have backdrop materials, and create lighting with phone or iPad or torch.....where there's a will there's a way - if you have energy left after those busy days.
December 18th, 2014
@juliedduncan oh goodie...I love that Julie!:)
December 18th, 2014
@nanderson ;) Hopefully, soon!
December 18th, 2014
Two words: Mac, Row.

Macro.

When stuck indoors during winter's limited light, macros are where I turn. If you don't have a macro lens, get as close as you can and then crop, crop and crop some more.
December 18th, 2014
I usually try to keep a bouquet of flowers around the house during the winter. They are almost more fun to photograph when they start to die. Christmas lights (bokeh) and ornaments are fun also. They make great abstracts. I only have one flash so I use lamps for extra light if I need it.
This photo is a Christmas ornament.
December 18th, 2014
I have used my lunch break to take photos during the work day.
December 18th, 2014
@pixiemac @lstasel @timerskine @juliedduncan @nanderson @ethelperry @blueberry1222 @padlock @kph129 @homeschoolmom @miata2u @juliedduncan @byrdlip @darylo @darylo @creampuff @aecasey oh wow!! there are some fantastic ideas here thank you!! Get pushed scares me to death, but then so do most things... I am such a big baby. I have just the place in mind to go hunting interesting objects to photograph. We have an awesome place not too far away that is packed to the rafters with weird and wonderful stuff. I do have a tripod but i really suck at nighttime photography... i have tried and tried to do some astrophotography but just get continuous black screen after black screen which really hasn't helped my phojo (love that so much). I love Macro but don't have a lens... will have to try the close and crop method. .... argh... just seen the time... must run!! work... always in the way but mustn't complain... I have a job.
December 18th, 2014
@creampuff @tori_shaw wouldn't want to be near you when you got to much oomph!!
December 18th, 2014
competitions and challenges work as motivation for me :O)
December 18th, 2014
@padlock It's only curry that does it!
December 18th, 2014
@tori_shaw ""astrophotography but just get continuous black screen after black screen "" A tripod, if you shot raw, try iso 800-1600 f8.0 for about 30 seconds. when you post process, up the exposure and play with the contrast. I assume will assume that you try astrop away from a city so that you aren't flooded with light pollution. Good Luck
December 18th, 2014
Light painting is great for indoors or outdoors. Give it a whirl. I have a few shots in my albums of different things you can do! Good luck!
December 18th, 2014
@padlock lololol are you talking about a different kind of oomph by any chance ;)

@gozoinklings them suckers are scary!

@byrdlip I had the iso cranked up, but think i goofed it on the Fstop .. had it on bulb to start with but them changed to 30 secs. I was in the middle of a local national park area, but still managed to bugger it up. better luck next time lol

@jdowd I had a bash a light painting a while back... was great fun :D haven't tried it with my newer camera mind you... might have to pull the LEDs out again ;D
December 18th, 2014
I agree with @jdowd - light painting is fun, indoors or out! :)
December 18th, 2014
@tori_shaw Keep practicing, it doesn't any more with digital, just your time, but it is nice to be outside.
http://365project.org/byrdlip/365/2014-09-20
December 18th, 2014
@byrdlip O.M.G o.O that's amazing! What lens did you use???
Write a Reply