photoshop 365

December 19th, 2014
I am curious if anyone knows of a Photoshop project group? I want to expand on my learning and was wondering if there is anything online in terms of an ongoing journey? Something similar to this community where we learn from each other.

Just in case you were wondering...No I don't intend to fall off the 365 Project perch just yet. I am in for the long haul ;) xx
December 19th, 2014
Nope - but if you find one, let me know!

At one time there was chatter of starting a regular editing challenge - but then the technique challenge came along and what w the wwyd challenge and the etsooi challenge, that kinda got dropped...
December 19th, 2014
@aurorajane I don't know of one either but would be interested if you find one!
December 19th, 2014
me too...........I get so frustrated with PS!!
December 19th, 2014
We could start a challenge here... PS is hard... One assignment a week may be enough... @pixiemac @radiogirl
December 19th, 2014
@aurorajane @northy That'd be awesome. Each week or even every other week a different PS topic/ability. I think I'd play! (only I think seeing that I'm going back to school in January, so time to tinker with PS could be limited.....)
December 19th, 2014
@northy Oh I would love that, I have used Elements for several years and get stuck sometimes in photoshop I am in.
December 19th, 2014
@northy I'm in..
December 19th, 2014
@aurorajane @northy I haven't got PS yet but that might make me rent it in 2015 as a new challenge!
December 19th, 2014
@aurorajane Brilliant idea - thanks for starting this.

@joansmor @nanderson

@northy What a brilliant idea, Northy - I'd definitely play. Could we invite someone who is a bit of a photoshop star to help us/set the tasks?
@mikegifford comes to mind. Can you think of anyone else?
December 19th, 2014
@jocasta I can think of two others who might consider it let me give a them a call @vignouse and @@kt8ird
December 19th, 2014
@jocasta mike would be great! And @ltodd is someone else who comes to mind who has mad skills...
December 19th, 2014
Sounds great. I'll be in.

BTW, if you want proceed at your own pace, I heartily recommend either of

"The Adobe Photoshop CS6 (CC) Book for Digital Photographers," by Scott Kelby, and

"The Adobe Photoshop CC Book for Photographers," by Martin Evening.

The Kelby book is more task oriented, essentially made up of many mini-workshops of one to five/six pages, grouped by theme, broken down into steps, to address one specific task. You either love or hate his chatty style, but incredibly useful and accessible content.

The Evening book is more theme oriented, but still made up of many small sections grouped by topic. Probably more comprehensive than the Kelby book, written in a serious, but very clear and readable style.

And then there is the old favorite, very recently updated again, "How to Cheat in Adobe Photoshop CC (CS3, 4, 5, 6...)" by Steve Caplin. Superb material also, with an extraordinary level of supporting material on the book's web site. Probably starting at a more advanced level than the other two, it gets right to it from the first page.
December 19th, 2014
I would be interested. I had photoshop and it dies just as I was given some detailed books to support learning. I would be tempted to buy it again if there was a support group to engage with ad encourage and learn with/from. Keep me in the loop please.
December 19th, 2014
I would be interested, because I am trying to teach myself and it is very slow going. My time availability varies, depending on what is happening at work, so I might not be able to participate routinely, but I need the prod and the motivation. :)
December 19th, 2014
@northy @joansmor @jocasta @ltodd @overalvandaan @callymazoo @frankhymus @kt8ird @vignouse @pixiemac @radiogirl @pixiemac @aurorajane
I would be interested in participating as a group and maybe it could be formed by a group of 3-4 folks willing to take on making suggested assignments and having a theme much like our 365 groups.

For example one assignment might be Extracting an Object and you need easy, moderate and complicated examples so that everyone is challenged (extract smooth objects, people with hair, and then pets/trees/etc). You also put a theme to the assignment so that it is interesting and focused, rather than random. Another assignment might be Filters and/or Blending Modes. All good stuff to know and somewhat complicated to get the understanding. Maybe these last 7-10 days, people post results and the 3-4 folks running the group make comments, no voting. Then the next assignment begins and everyone starts over again (much like the groups -> 5+2, Project X, Mad Hatters, etc). This way you can jump on / off and participate when you want.

Comments?
December 19th, 2014
I would be in.
December 19th, 2014
@mikegifford Sounds like a good plan.......I am such a novice but would give it a try :)
December 19th, 2014
I don;t feel experienced enough. I have not even learnt how to do layers yet. I have discoved curves, vignette and adjusting the light levels! Not a lot to goon really. Do you think I need more experience before I tag along? @mikegifford
December 19th, 2014
This sounds wonderful! I would be happy to help coordinate this endeavour if that would be helpful, and make it easier for those who actually know Photoshop and would be agreeing to provide constructive feedback and come up w the assignments...
@mikegifford
December 19th, 2014
@northy @mikegifford Oh I would love that. Count me in.
December 19th, 2014
@mikegifford if you think a beginner (I'm going to try this Photoshop Lightroom deal) can join, I'm in! I've used Picmonkey mainly for post processing, but feel it's limitations.
December 19th, 2014
Jo
@northy @mikegifford I'd be interested, but only have Lightroom at present so would have to look into what PS deals are to be had.
December 19th, 2014
@mikegifford This sounds brilliant - hope you didn't mind me putting your name forward. I wonder if all the people involved could also buy the Scott Kelby book which @frankhymus suggested - Some weeks we could work through chapters together - sharing results. I like the idea of each project lasting about 7/10 days and really like that this shouldn't be a competition with voting. This looks like a brilliant project to start in 2015. Thanks again @aurorajane for suggesting it.
December 19th, 2014
@northy @mikegifford I am about to sign up for the PD+LR deal from Adobe. I am a complete beginner in these two modalities, but am ready and eager to learn. So please count me in. Thanks!
December 19th, 2014
@jo13 @overalvandaan @northy @pixiemac @brianarmoured @joansmor @jocasta @ltodd @overalvandaan @callymazoo @frankhymus @kt8ird @vignouse @pixiemac @radiogirl @aurorajane @amandal @beluga @mbrunner @gigiz @kali66 @mikegifford @graemestevens @megstorey @luvthyclassics @wenbow
For those not aware, Adobe has a great photography offer for Creative Cloud Photoshop and Lightroom bundled. Its a good deal since Photoshop by itself is rather expensive and is constantly getting updates and with this plan updates are included. I consider both to be essential tools along with some others (that will probably get introduced if we move forward with this 365 Photoshop Group with training themes). Here is a link to get more information: https://creative.adobe.com/plans/photography

December 19th, 2014
@_catherine_ See above post....take the leap, life-long-learning....
December 19th, 2014
@mikegifford I already have that bundle and love it. Prior to this I was doing PS Elements. But thanks for telling us.
December 19th, 2014
I would be interested too. @aurorajane one site worth looking at on YouTube is "Phlearn" the tutorials usually only go for about 10 minutes and are very easy to follow. And they have a new tutorial on different techniques every week. It is definitely worth checking out.
And @mikegifford Mike, I really like your idea of having assignments. I think it would also help people's phojo going too.
December 19th, 2014
@northy @mikegifford Currently I'm using Photoshop Elements would this be adequate for this group project?
December 20th, 2014
@radiogirl I have same question. I have PSE10 and LR5. I've never used my elements and would love to start diging in. Love this thread!!!
December 20th, 2014
@jo13 @overalvandaan @northy @pixiemac @brianarmoured @joansmor @jocasta @ltodd @overalvandaan @callymazoo @frankhymus @kt8ird @vignouse @pixiemac @radiogirl @aurorajane @amandal @beluga @mbrunner @gigiz @kali66 @mikegifford @graemestevens @megstorey @luvthyclassics @wenbow

I start my second year 1 Jan - I've come an awfully long way in my first year but more of the same isn't going to take me forward. I need a new challenge - this is it... count me in.
December 20th, 2014
I'm in also. Sounds great.

@frankhymus I agree with Frank. I have older books by both authors and they are both good.
December 20th, 2014
I'd love to learn beyond PS basics -- layers, masks,etc are way beyond me.
December 20th, 2014
@vignouse Oh, that makes me happy. Hope Kate will join.
December 20th, 2014
@joansmor @kt8ird. I imagine she will as we have already agreed to do some joint PS learning projects together in 2015.
December 20th, 2014
@vignouse Hi Richard I currently use Photoshop Elements would it work for this project?
December 20th, 2014
@vignouse She's childless this weekend and scrambling to get last minutes Christmas things done so we probably won't hear from her until Sunday night.
December 20th, 2014
@joansmor @vignouse I'm in!! Just a warning that I've only opened PS once and it was on accident. Should be a fun journey, looking forward to it! Got a lot done tonight and looking forward to an early morning to (hopefully) finish things up around here.
December 20th, 2014
I am interested too. I signed up for Adobe CC 4 months ago, and am getting along quite well with LR, but PS sits here like the 'Big White Elephant' on my computer. Not sure I would be able to do every week though!
December 20th, 2014
@vignouse glad 'your in'. Would be good to be working in a group with you again.
December 20th, 2014
I'd love to hear about it so please keep me in mind :)
December 20th, 2014
Thank you @joansmor for telling me about this discussion. I will join too :)
December 20th, 2014
@radiogirl @darylo @mikegifford @northy @aurorajane
Hi Kathy and Daryl - PS Elements can do a lot of the basic things that PS does (although sometimes it does them differently) but the more sophisticated things are beyond its reach. Perhaps there could be a sub-group for Elements users, but the monthly PS CC/LR bundle deal is so affordable compared with the price in the past that it really would be an investment worth making if you can.
December 20th, 2014
I would be in....great idea.
December 20th, 2014
@mikegifford @northy happy to join in here to assist
December 20th, 2014
@vignouse Hi Richard, thanks for your advice I will look into the PS CC/LR bundle so I can work along with the rest of the group.
Looking forward to starting this project with the group.
Please keep me posted.
December 20th, 2014
@darylo Hi Daryl, I will be following Richards advice and look into Photoshop light room bundle which apparently is very affordable.
December 20th, 2014
Count me in! I've been an Aperture user who has now been forced to move to Photoshop/Lightroom soon as Aperture is no longer supported and being "dumbed down" to merge with iPhoto :( I know I need to take the plunge to do this but haven't been motivated. Need a challenge and support group! @Taffy - are you in, too?
December 20th, 2014
@jyokota Yes, count me in. We need Lightroom for organizing the photos and Photoshop for the more complex projects we have to process.
With both now on my computer and the end of year 2 just a few weeks away, this would be a perfect group for learning and motivation for me!
December 20th, 2014
I'm clearly not ready for this yet but some of you might be interested in it while it's on sale: http://www.photoshopartistryonline.com
December 20th, 2014
Count me in. You may have noticed I haven't posted for a while, mostly because I think I'd got a bit stale. Like @jyokota I use Aperture and am seriously considering to move to PS/LR and have been hesitating in making the jump. And I know I really need to learn some PS skills.

Thanks for the heads up @jocasta - or should I say kick up the ****.
December 20th, 2014
I've love that. I know just enough to be dangerous or more accurately to know that something is possible but not how to actually pull it off. Maybe start with layers.

December 20th, 2014
@aponi -- SO much fun! OK, I want to learn layers now, too.
December 20th, 2014
@jyokota This is my work crew. We had our holiday party and they foolishly asked me to bring in my camera and take a group picture. They had to know something like this was going to happen. ;-)
December 20th, 2014
@aponi oh gosh! Love that! I know what you wan: " a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!"
December 20th, 2014
Jo
@vignouse @northy @mikegifford @darylo @frankhymus Sorry guys, still trying to get my head round how to best acquire PS. I already have Lightroom 5, which I own outright, but to get the best Photoshop deal I see I would need to subscribe to the Photoshop/Lightroom bundle @ £8.78 per month. Do I just ignore the Lightroom part of the package, will it be installed twice? If I want to stop the subscription do I lose everything except my original LR ownership, sorry for my ignorance, I'm getting bogged down with 'owning' and 'renting' and what might happen in the future. Please make any response simple as I have been ill in bed for a week and I can't think straight!
December 20th, 2014
@jo13 hi Jo... so sorry to hear you've been under the weather... i can't really answer your questions, although i feel as though i should be able to... i had LR5, and then bought the cloud PS/LR bundle (cheaper than PS on it's own)... and i have NO idea what this means... as far as i can tell, i only have LR on my puter once...
December 20th, 2014
@jo13 You can also install/update Lightroom from the CC control panel. If you bought this more than 3 months ago, there are updates. The beauty of the subscription is that you can always be up-to-date with versions, even releases. If you stop the subscription, I believe you will have to install Lightroom again if there have been major release upgrades. Why don't you ask Adobe? Chat on line or call sales upport and you should have a response immediately.
December 20th, 2014
@jo13 I use the entire Creative Cloud Suite and if the Creative Cloud for Photoshop and Lightroom bundle behave the same way, you can install Photoshop and the Creative Cloud installer will recognize the Lightroom already installed. It may ask you some questions like keeping your presets and anything customized. In case it does want to overwrite make sure you have a backup of your presets and catalogs. You can also contact CC support for Adobe and ask them. I've found their CC support team to be very good.

@vignouse @northy @darylo @frankhymus
December 20th, 2014
@ltodd Lyn, I sent you a message at your internode address.
@northy I replied to your email message.
December 20th, 2014
Jo
@northy @frankhymus @mikegifford Thank you all for responding, and I will speak to the CC team as you suggested. I have been wanting to dip my toe into the world of PS, but just couldn't bring myself to bite the bullet. Well done @northy looks like your idea has legs!
December 20th, 2014
Ok. I understand if I go for the subscription (which is a good deal of course), I will have everything. But I have bought LR5 ( which i know will stop udating when 6 comes out in 2015) and I have had PSE without learning it yet. I honestly don't have the funds to get the subscription because I'd be tied to it indefinitely (and yes it is sad that the price is hard for me to swing beyond a year--that's my problem). I really hope from the assignments I'll just be able to figure out PSE things that might work as well. This looks really great and the next step in my processing skills. Gotta love this place!
December 20th, 2014
@vignouse I'll have to be in that subgroup for now but I think some PSE things will apply (I have only tried it a couple of times so I do want to give it a gair shake before moving up when funds are more available. This is very exciting! !!
December 20th, 2014
@darylo Layers and selections sharpening and regular stuff like that should be fine in Elements. One big thing that Elements is restricted to is 8 bit processing, but that shouldn't present you any great limitation.
December 20th, 2014
@frankhymus thanks! It will be a good primer as I haven't attempted layers yet!
December 20th, 2014
@darylo I'm sure that you will be able to join-in fully using PSE Daryl. To answer one point you made - you're never locked into any piece of software, providing it allows you to save your files in a universally recognized file-format such as JPEG, TIFF, PNG etc - as PS CC does.
December 21st, 2014
Oh, cool! I'm in! I need all the PSE help I can get! I need more practice with it for sure!
December 21st, 2014
I'd be happy to join in. I love Photoshop, its so much fun.

Phil Steel has a reasonably priced Photoshop beginners course, I haven't seen this one but have seen his Lightroom course which is good. http://steeletraining.com/photoshop-basics.htm

Junkos suggestion for the Photoshop Artistry course is a good one. I have worked through a lot of it, its really fab and I really want to find time to get into it more. http://www.photoshopartistryonline.com/
Some of the images that people are turning out are here: https://www.facebook.com/PhotoshopArtistry/photos_stream https://www.flickr.com/groups/fineartphotoshop/pool/

and Kim has a beginners course that explains how Lightroom and Photoshop work together - its called Round Trip. I have done many of her courses, she's lovely, worth every penny. She doesn't teach Photoshop wizardry such as adding in aliens but she does a good job of explain how to edit photos so that they look nice. One of my images was on Flickr explore the other day and that was entirely down to what I learned from Kim. http://photoshoptestkitchen.com/
Kim has several groups on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/groups/bestill-52/pool/ https://www.flickr.com/groups/beyondlayers/ https://www.flickr.com/groups/inspirationstaycation/pool/
December 21st, 2014
I would love to be in for a weekly PS challenge. Sounds like a great idea!
December 21st, 2014
@frankhymus @darylo I would be very interested but having just bought PE I feel I should learn to use it before taking on PS and LR. I have no idea about editing and would to learn more. if I can at least learn to do the basics it would be fantastic. I'm in if you think it's appropriate.
December 21st, 2014
@thistle Of course it is.
December 21st, 2014
Perfect timing. I have lightroom 4 and am looking to buy/rent PS. So I would love to join the group.
December 21st, 2014
I just bought the bundle this week and am already thoroughly confused. I would love to participate if I'm able to follow along. Please count me in.
December 21st, 2014
I may pop in now and then as time allows. I just have Elements, but can't do a thing in there. Perhaps if I can learn how to use it a bit I would advance to PS. I will keep an eye out for activity in this group. Thank you!
December 21st, 2014
I have read a few PS books already, and if I have an idea, I just google how to do that specific thing, but it would be very usefull to do weekly assignments! I'm probably missing out on half of the basics now... This is a great idea! Count me in!
December 22nd, 2014
@mikegifford Count me in, as I have just signed up for the Creative Cloud subscription and need help with the Photoshop piece...especially if I could jump in and out, as time permits.
December 22nd, 2014
@thistle same here! Since I have not taken advantage of what I bought already, I owe it to myself to use it first! :) as long as I can tag along, I'm good. So when do we start? This is very exciting! @frankhymus @aurorajane @darylo @mikegifford @northy
December 22nd, 2014
@mikegifford I would be very interested in joining in. I like the idea of 7-10 days and being able to jump in when one can as time is not always readily available. I have the LR/PS subscription and I am currently driving myself dilly trying to follow YouTube videos. I haven't found that many that use CC, so some functions can be rather time consuming.
@aurorajane thanks for starting this thread. A superb idea!
December 22nd, 2014
@jo13 @overalvandaan @northy @pixiemac @brianarmoured @joansmor @jocasta @ltodd @overalvandaan @callymazoo @frankhymus @kt8ird @vignouse @pixiemac @radiogirl @aurorajane @amandal @beluga @mbrunner @gigiz @kali66 @graemestevens @megstorey @luvthyclassics @wenbow @slash @longexposure @frankhymus @thistle @888rachel @suebarni @homeschoolmom @vignouse @aponi @karlow75 @jyokota @pennyp @aurorajane @neatz @juliedduncan @thresheg @maggiemae @palmilla @_catherine_ @lynnz @shesnapped @ethelperry @flyrobin @catwhiskers @lorrainelouise @shailestha @moviegal1 @maggiemae @charmboxstudios @grammyn @andy3168 @olivetreeann
@salza @rosiekerr @laetitiapetrussa @aecasey @slash
I added a few folks that might be interested in participating in the Photoshop 365 Group, if not interested then please ignore.

@northy, @ltodd and I have been exchanging email messages regarding hosting such a Photoshop 365 Group with 7-14 day challenges/lessons with specific themes to fit the Photoshop tasks being assigned. We have some thoughts on how such a group might work within the 365 community since it is rather unique and virtually all skill levels are represented.

We're in the process of preparing how we think this might work, and we've reached out to a few other 365ers seeking additional Group Hosts. Once we get a bit further along we'll write-up and post what we collectively think will be a workable, fun and learning experience for anyone that wants to participate. We think we can have the Photoshop 365 Group together for launch by Jan 4 or Jan 11 -> stay tuned.

If you're interested just make a post and we'll make sure you're on the invite.

Thanks....
December 22nd, 2014
Thanks Mike! Although I don't have PS, I'd still like to do the challenges with the photo processing tool I do have. I'm pretty sure I'd be able to figure out the "translation" of your assignments to my program (Smart Photo Editor). If it doesn't work, I may consider PS for purchase. But the instructional aspect of this is extremely appealing to me. Thanks for the invite and thinking of me!
December 22nd, 2014
@mikegifford I am definitely interested in joining the group. Thanks for putting things together.
December 22nd, 2014
Yay, keep me on the list:-D
December 22nd, 2014
Definitely interested though will have to purchase. Am away over Xmas! Someone mentioned the Adobe package but woukd it not be more economical to do a one off payment of PSE , PS (don't know difference) or LR rather than an annual fee? I have to look into it fast or get advice if I am to be on board by 11th. Advice welcome. Live in the uk, thanks.
December 22nd, 2014
Wow, this is all incredibly wonderful information, and I am so glad to know there are so many of us who want to master Photoshop. I have CS5 on LR5 on my computer, and have dabbled with PS on and off. I know enough to be dangerous, but not enough to really accomplish anything complicated, and get frustrated with it. Also, it is so time consuming that I just can't play with it enough. I would love to join a group that is doing weekly (or, maybe biweekly assignments), and we all learn from our mistakes. Thanks to those "masters" who are willing to help us learn. Much appreciated.
December 22nd, 2014
@callymazoo Hi Cally - PSE is an abridged version of PS and whilst it is an extremely capable editor, it has neither the power nor the scope of its big brother. LR is effectively an enhanced and standalone version of Adobe Camera Raw, plus a very powerful photo cataloguing system: LR can do around 85% of all normal photo editing but for advanced photo correction and manipulation, PS is needed.

PSE and LR are upgraded approximately every 18months and, typically, existing users get around 30% discount off the price of the new version. The PS/LR deal costs £8.48 pm for UK users which over 2 years, is about the cost of purchasing PSE & LR outright. In 2 years time though, both LR and PSE will have been replaced by newer versions, whereas the PS/LR bundle includes all enhancements and upgrades for life.

Each photographer will make the choice of which package will best suit their own circumstances or, indeed, stay with free alternatives such as Picasa or Faststone for basic editing and Gimp for advanced photo manipulation.

Hope this helps.
December 22nd, 2014
@mikegifford I am in and very excited and glad you made this post because I was afraid it would go away.
December 22nd, 2014
@mikegifford @northy, @ltodd
Thanks very much to the three of you. Definitely in and looking forward to getting started. Merry Christmas to you all.
December 22nd, 2014
@mikegifford @northy, @ltodd

Wonderful, thank you all very much. Looking forward to the new year.

Happy Christmas everyone.
December 22nd, 2014
also not owning PS but still might like to get the info. glad you are doing this!
December 22nd, 2014
@mikegifford Thanks for thinking of me.... I'm totally interested
December 22nd, 2014
@mikegifford Mike! Thanks for the inclusion! I'm definitely in!!!
December 22nd, 2014
@grammyn Hey, consider the monthly bundle for LR and Photoshop all under the Photography Creative Cloud option: https://creative.adobe.com/plans/photography
December 22nd, 2014
I'm in. I have the CC version and the Scott Kelby book "out for delivery" according to amazon.
December 22nd, 2014
thanks @mikegifford I am in. First I have to get the PS CC bundle. Looks like a good option to me.
December 22nd, 2014
i have PSE 11 which has been installed in my laptop for a few years now but beyond processing a "crappy" raw shot that looks crappier in jpeg, it really gives me high blood pressure whenever i want to try to do something with it. so can i join? or should i first get an updated version?
December 22nd, 2014
@mikegifford considering , Mike, considering!
December 22nd, 2014
@summerfield Get the Adobe combo! If you're going to go for it, go BIG or go home ;-)
December 22nd, 2014
Yes, I'm in!
December 22nd, 2014
@mikegifford - does the adobe combo come with fries? :-P
like katy @grammyn i'll consider.
December 23rd, 2014
I just bit the bullet and installed the Adobe combo - now I'm be needing some BIG tutoring to make it work. Looking forward to the challenge. Keep me posted.
December 23rd, 2014
@milaniet @summerfield @overalvandaan @mikegifford @grammyn @summerfield @shailestha @aponi @mikegifford @shesnapped @catwhiskers @grammyn @pennyp @jocasta @joansmor @vignouse @panthora @callymazoo @pixiemac @salza @olivetreeann @jo13 @overalvandaan @northy @pixiemac @brianarmoured @joansmor @jocasta @ltodd @overalvandaan @callymazoo @frankhymus @kt8ird @vignouse @pixiemac @radiogirl @aurorajane @amandal @beluga @mbrunner @gigiz @kali66 @graemestevens @megstorey @luvthyclassics @wenbow @slash @longexposure @frankhymus @thistle @888rachel @suebarni @homeschoolmom @vignouse @aponi @karlow75 @jyokota @pennyp @aurorajane @neatz @juliedduncan @thresheg @maggiemae @palmilla @_catherine_ @lynnz @shesnapped @ethelperry @flyrobin @catwhiskers @lorrainelouise @shailestha @moviegal1 @maggiemae @charmboxstudios @grammyn @andy3168 @olivetreeann
@salza @rosiekerr @laetitiapetrussa @aecasey @slash @salza @darylo @rosiekerr @laetitiapetrussa @aecasey @slash @longexposure @frankhymus @northy @joansmor

Not sure if I got everyone - But WOW! It seems everyone wants to get a grip on this beast of a program. I sure hope Lyn, Northy and Mike can get something going, as it seems that there are no currently running 'project' groups. What I did find was, PhotoshopUserTV produced by Kelbyone. We can access episodes online and they give tips and tricks to using photoshop. As with many people, I am a resistant reader and tend to loose concentration when learning from a book. But watching it and hearing what they are doing and why makes learning a whole lot easier and fun.

Thanks for your amazing response and Lyn, Northy and Mike...it's over to you :) xx
December 23rd, 2014
@aurorajane To support our learning, the internet is a huge resource; Kane @karlow75 has already mentioned 'Phlearn' with Aaron Nace - he makes some of the more complex features of PS accessible even to beginners. But don't forget that Adobe themselves have a huge on-line learning resource - I'm particularly fond of the videos featuring 'Digital Imaging Evangelist' Julieanne Kost.

Thanks for starting this... it's too big to stop now.
December 23rd, 2014
I was looking up the photo editing programmes yesterday and it was suggested that GIMP does what PS does and it free. it could be an affordable trial option apparently having very similar ways of working as PS so I could still follow the learning. Does anyone have experience of that?
December 23rd, 2014
@callymazoo. Gimp is certainly a very comprehensive piece of software and it does provide the major building blocks of PS. Download and try it for yourself but, personally, I gave up on it when PS became affordable - CS6 cost over £600 to buy and LR over £100, which is the equivalent of over 7 years rental with the current Adobe offer. Why did I give up on it? Because - and I'm not alone - I found it clunky and not all intuitive to use... YMMD.
December 26th, 2014
I'm interested. I'd like to learn as much about Photoshop and Lightroom as I can.
December 26th, 2014
Please put me on the list!
December 26th, 2014
Meg
@mikegifford Very Cool Mike! I am definitely interested. Thank you for thinking of me.
December 26th, 2014
@mikegifford Thanks Mike, can you make sure I am on the invite please :)
December 27th, 2014
I would love to be on the list. Totally interested in Photoshop and Lightroom !! Thank you.
December 27th, 2014
@aponi Awesome photo !! Yes layers in one thing i need to learn. This will be great !!
December 27th, 2014
I will rent PS for a year, if that is possible if you have a beginners group. I mean, learning from the very beginning. Let me know. I really would like to learn but need a slow learning group. I hear it is very complicated.
December 28th, 2014
Count me in please. I was going to get Photoshop Elements 13 - will this do?
December 28th, 2014
@milaniet Hi Milanie, did you download and rent the Photo Shop and Lightroom combo from the Creative Cloud Photography site that Mike @mikegifford recommended?
I was thinking of downloading it and renting it monthly, was it difficult to download. I have never downloaded anything from the cloud.
Do you need to have an account set up?
Any help would be appreciated.
December 28th, 2014
@mikegifford I would enjoy doing this. I'm an advanced beginner in PSE 12 rather than PS or LR. Could I still participate?
December 28th, 2014
@radiogirl Very easy to download. You'll create an account when you download it. Just save pics to your hard drive if you're only going to rent for a year. Once you end your subscription, I don't think you have access to your cloud anymore.
December 29th, 2014
@mikegifford I've just joined and would love to be a part of this.
December 29th, 2014
@shesnapped thank you Ashley I will download it this week.
Good point about saving pics to your hard drive.
Are you renting the PS and Lightroom bundle?
December 29th, 2014
@radiogirl Yes. I already owned LR when I signed up for the bundle, so I only downloaded PS even tho the cost was the same. I'll upgrade my LR when a new version comes out. Right now I'm happy just using my purchased version.
December 29th, 2014
December 29th, 2014
I'd love to give this a go as well. I used to goof off with PS back in high school but now I can barely do anything on it. :)
December 29th, 2014
@mikegifford not sure if you are the one organizing this - but whomever is, I would be willing to help. I have been using Photoshop for about 15 years, I taught the creative suite for a few years and have a background in graphic design. I currently work as a creative director, so I still spend quite a bit of time in the programs and showing my designers how to acheive different effects.
December 30th, 2014

I took advantage of the Lightroom Photoshop special last year and I use both but I am much more comfortable with Lightroom and I need to learn so much with photoshop. I think a group with assignments would be fantastic. At this point I feel like I did years ago when I went from my point n shoot to my DSLR - that is why the camera settings challenges started. I would love a group or something to help me (us) go beyond and be more proficient in Photoshop. Last Christmas I asked for a Photoshop book and I got the Scot Kelby one but I haven't used it. So perhaps between the book and the group I would actually learn more @mikegifford (or whoever is running this - I didn't read all the comments) please count me in.
December 31st, 2014
January 2nd, 2015
So when do we start?

January 2nd, 2015
+1 for Phlern.com http://phlearn.com/

Aaron Nace is a really funny guy so makes the learning not feel so dry and vanilla
January 4th, 2015
@myhrhelper Read Mike Gifford's post for 22 December.
January 4th, 2015
@vignouse I'm not sure what you mean?
January 4th, 2015
@myhrhelper Well in a post on that date and in this thread - scroll-up to find it - @mikegifford laid out some proposals and a possible time table for rollout.

I've copied the relevant part for you below:

"@northy, @ltodd and I have been exchanging email messages regarding hosting such a Photoshop 365 Group with 7-14 day challenges/lessons with specific themes to fit the Photoshop tasks being assigned. We have some thoughts on how such a group might work within the 365 community since it is rather unique and virtually all skill levels are represented.

We're in the process of preparing how we think this might work, and we've reached out to a few other 365ers seeking additional Group Hosts. Once we get a bit further along we'll write-up and post what we collectively think will be a workable, fun and learning experience for anyone that wants to participate. We think we can have the Photoshop 365 Group together for launch by Jan 4 or Jan 11 -> stay tuned.

If you're interested just make a post and we'll make sure you're on the invite."

Hope this helps...
January 4th, 2015
@vignouse Great! Sounds perfect
January 4th, 2015
@myhrhelper Hi Kathy, we are 'polishing up the silver' as we speak ... :)
January 4th, 2015
@radiogirl @randystreat @summerfield @grammyn @thistle

Hi all - we will be trying to include generic information so that that you should be able to follow along using PSE (if your version supports layers ) for nearly all projects. There are many different ways of achieving the same look in digital editing, some programs (eg PS) and plugins(eg by Nik,Topaz) will get you there in fewer steps, and give a professional look very quickly if used correctly, but there are many 'work arounds' you can use. I don't use Photoshop CC. :)
January 4th, 2015
@ltodd Hi Lyn I have downloaded the PS/Lightroom bundle that @mikegifford has recommended so I won't be using PSE.
January 4th, 2015
@vignouse Hi Richard I have downloaded the PS/Lightroom Bundle that @mikegifford recommended and would very much appreciate being included in with your particular group, if possible.
January 4th, 2015
@ltodd I am looking forward to this. Will I be notified when it starts or will I need to keep checking this discussion?
January 5th, 2015
@randystreat we will try & notify you via the discussion post - but keep an eye out as well.
January 5th, 2015
@ltodd will do. Thank you.
January 5th, 2015
Im interested :)
January 5th, 2015
I'm interested!
January 8th, 2015
Please count me in.
January 8th, 2015
Just incase anyone was missed via tagging, an initial intro to layers has been started here
January 9th, 2015
Please add me to the group - I subscribe to PS and Lightroom but tend to stick safely with photo editing in Lightroom. I do struggle with PS but would love to learn more about layers and creative editing.
February 7th, 2015
Just found the group. There is a lot to learn in PS. I have been doing most of my editing in LR.
Write a Reply