Flash of Red February 2015

January 25th, 2015
Looking for a different kind of inspiration, a way to work on your black and white skills, or a monthly challenge with a twist? This one might be for you then. The idea is to take a black and white shot for each day in February with one exception. On February 14th use selective coloring to bring out a flash of red in your picture (hearts and flowers not necessary!).

Feel like you might need some extra instruction or inspiration on your black and white shots? Our weekly themes will be based on chapters from Andrew S. Gibson's ebook, "The Magic of Black and White 1". Gibson's book is full of great examples and tips and although getting the book is optional, for $5 (USA), it's a bargain!

http://craftandvision.com/collections/andrew-s-gibson/products/the-magic-of-black-and-white-1

New to selective coloring? Here's some basic "how-tos" I put together for last year's Flash of Red February:

http://365project.org/olivetreeann/themes-and-comp/2014-01-16
http://365project.org/olivetreeann/themes-and-comp/2014-01-17
http://365project.org/olivetreeann/themes-and-comp/2014-01-18
http://365project.org/olivetreeann/themes-and-comp/2014-01-19

Here's the weekly break down to give you a head's up-

Feb. 1-7 Develop you ability to see in black and white this week. Focus on simple shapes and forms. Reading: Pgs. 1-21- Intro, Why Black and White?, Learning to See in Monochrome, Simplicity, Complexity, and Shapes and Forms. (Don't panic! There are a lot of pictures!)

Author's Tip: As you're evaluating your subject, try and imagine how it will look in black and white. Pre-visualize the end result. With practice your vision will become very accurate.

Feb. 8-13 Develop your ability to see the details in your pictures. Choose one of the following to feature in your pictures: texture, lines, foreground, negative space, or contrast. Reading: Pgs. 22-31

Feb. 14 Flash of Red day! Use selective coloring to feature the color red in your picture. You can continue your choice of detail from Feb. 8-13, or begin the next set of options.

Feb. 15-21 Develop your perception of light. Photographs wouldn't exist without light! Pay attention to how it is interacting with your subject. Choose one object to be the subject of your photos and put it in different lighting situations: soft light, hard light, dramatic light, back light, sunrise/sunset, natural light or interior light. Reading: Pgs. 32-44 (Gibson's examples of each of these are very helpful.)

Feb. 22-28 By request! Macro (with a twist if you are following the book). Develop your ability to see the minute details of your subject. Choose a subject which has fine details and discover how your camera brings them out. Reading: Pgs. 45-58 Gibson gives a number of shooting scenarios in his book. Why not try combining one or more of them with a macro shot. For example, how would you combine a macro and a landscape? Have fun and be creative!

I will repost the weekly themes at the beginning of each and include some of the author's thoughts on the subject. This will also give you an opportunity to show us your favorite shot from the previous week so we can all be inspired by one another. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's calendar at the end of the month. It always looks so striking with that flash of red!

Tag your photos- flashofred-2015

@Olivetreeann

January 25th, 2015
January 25th, 2015
I'm in.
January 25th, 2015
@olivetreeann But you already knew that.
January 25th, 2015
@bill_fe Sound of hands clapping...
January 25th, 2015
@archaeofrog How's it look Katie? Are you going to list the book club separately? Do you want me to add the book club tag on? Let me know- I'll be happy to do that.
January 25th, 2015
:D
January 25th, 2015
@northy Glad you'll be joining me!! Your shots never fail to inspire!
January 25th, 2015
yay! of course i'm in.

@northy - are you sure you want to do a month of black and white? :-P
January 25th, 2015
Splendid! I'm looking forward to this.
January 25th, 2015
looking forward to it
January 25th, 2015
Yippee Ann - I'm in and can't wait! Been waiting for Feb so I can really get started again with my 2nd year and with b&w, this is what I need!
January 25th, 2015
Probably won't manage the themes but I'm in with the flash of red. Thanks for sorting it out
January 25th, 2015
Ann, I think I'm ready for a challenge and I'm impressed by all the work you have put into organising this. Thank you, and I will definitely have a go. I'm afraid I shall cheat a bit as my Fuji X20 does the selective colouring brilliantly in-camera.
January 25th, 2015
@summerfield admittedly, it was a tough decision... But after wrestling w my inner self for a nano second, I decided I could probably manage one colour shot over the course of a month ;p
January 25th, 2015
@summerfield What are challenge buddies for?!
@salza Happy smiles in PA
@lisaisgoingtofrance Looking forward to your shots Lisa!
@dibzgreasley I'm glad to hear it's what you've been looking for. I am always surprised at how popular it is. I just love the idea of that little hint of color in the middle of the month!
@rachelwithey No problem Rachel! You are always free to adapt any challenge here on 365 to suit your needs. As we always say, "Your project-your rules"!
@quietpurplehaze That's great Hazel! I have that feature in my Powershot too. Do whatever you're comfortable with-but just for fun, why not try out one of the methods in my old posts. You don't have to use it for your Flash of Red- but I find it fun to experiment.
@ summerfield @northy Your sacrifice is duly noted Northy!
January 25th, 2015
@olivetreeann - challenge buddies rock! now, where's young alia? alia_801
January 25th, 2015
@bella_ss @nanderson @pandorasecho @paulam @dibzgreasley @brigette @lleo @bizziebeeme @kalm @mhuntphotography @taffy @trishaclancy @salza @juliethephotographer @dmortega @tahoemb @rachelwithey @dannacruzanphotography @ukandie1 @whimsicalgrateful @daisymiller @krenneker @frankhymus @teachntravel @dmortega @nanderson @salza @jyokota @pandorasecho @vignouse @morrisphotos @ukandie1 @brianarmoured @northy @darylo @homeschoolmom @newbank @cynthiak @squamloon @polarvrtx @dibzgreasley @tigerdreamer @lsquared @stevej @pitasmum @mzzhope @juliethephotographer @kwiksilver @aponi @mhuntphotography @lorrainelouise @rachelwithey @spikez @ruthhill75 @lleo @bizziebeeme @annied @taffy @desertaura @stephomy @kt8ird @swilde @fallowski @bella_ss @radiogirl @catwoman2 @stevej @crewnelson @kalm @tigerdreamer @deb60 @lbluejaye8 @melston @brigette @mzzhope @la_photographic @voiceprintz @francoise

Please zoom up to the top of the discussion to check out the details for Flash of Red February (in league with the Black and White Book Club).

Those who are interested, I will also be posting thoughts about both books - Michael Freeman's Complete Guide to Black and White Photography (and/or field guide version) and Andrew Gibson's Mastering Black and White.

For now, I think it makes sense to just stick to using the one tag, flashofred-2015 , and if we decide, as we go, that we want a separate one for more book-based photos or to separate by week, we can do that.

Excited to see what you all learn and shoot!
January 25th, 2015
@archaeofrog Katie... dumb tech question for you... buying the book is not like buying from amazon or iTunes, so i'm not sure how it will work... do you know if i will be able to download to multiple devices? or do i need to purchase on the device i am most likely to read it on? do you know?
January 25th, 2015
I ended up buying a paperback copy of Freeman's book because I didn't like the lay-out on Kindle. It is very well done in the hard copy. Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!
January 25th, 2015
@archaeofrog @olivetreeann thank you both so much for organising this. I will be entering year two as it starts, will be interesting to see how much I have learnt/developed over the year. Can't wait!
January 25th, 2015
@northy Great question! The book is a PDF file. I was able to email to myself and download it to both my computer and tablet, so I don't think it will be a problem for you ...
January 25th, 2015
@archaeofrog perfect... tx!
January 25th, 2015
@archaeofrog @olivetreeann love the tag, it sounds a bit risqué like flash-o-fred haha. I'm in, hope I can stick with it for the whole month :)
January 25th, 2015
excellent - i'm hoping this might get me out of the dole drums (spelling?) Just downloaded that link. easy peasy
January 26th, 2015
@olivetreeann thanks for including me in the thread.
January 26th, 2015
@archaeofrog @olivetreeann Many thanks to both of you for finding a way to meld these into one experience. This will be a great way for me to revisit B&W with intent and expand my skills a bit. Glad for the chance! :)
January 26th, 2015
@bella_ss exactly what I was going to say, if we are flashing Fred I guess I'm in, whoever Fred may be.
January 26th, 2015
@melston @lleo @bella_ss @brigette @skstein @voiceprintz @pandorasecho

Thanks to all for your enthusiastic participation! It's going to be a fun month!
January 26th, 2015
@archaeofrog Thanks for all those tags Katie and for answering the book question! I wish there was a way we could double up the weekly review (putting your recap and mine together) - any ideas?
January 26th, 2015
This sounds like fun - I'll join in too!
January 26th, 2015
@brigette Saw an email with your question Brigette and I think you've already answered it yourself, but the pages above are for the ebook "The Magic of Black and White 1" by Andrew S. Gibson. You can probably find the same topics covered in last year's book as well. Since you've already gone to the link, seems you've got that covered!

@alia_801 Yay!
January 26th, 2015
Looking forward to February now I've got the Michael Freeman book. Thank you @quietpurplehaze for the tip regarding selective colouring and the X20 - I think my Fuji camera does this too, time to read the manual again!
January 26th, 2015
@juliethephotographer

The X20 does the colours of the rainbow - but the red is the best!
January 27th, 2015
This sounds intriguing and challenging. count me in.
January 27th, 2015
@olivetreeann Hey Ann, I was planning to post mine on my blog the Saturday before, so you could always just add a link from your discussion post (or I can after you post it). We'll make it work! :)
January 27th, 2015
Fun!
January 27th, 2015
I'm in. Looking forward to it immensely.
January 27th, 2015
@archaeofrog Sounds good Katie! I'll leave the linking up to you then as the 365 Toy Group has me a little preoccupied at this time. So glad to see you on here again and to be doing this in tandem!
January 27th, 2015
@juliethephotographer @slmaatta @homeschoolmom @teachntravel

Welcome aboard! 6 days and counting to Flash of Red!
January 27th, 2015
I'm in. Weeks one and two look doable. I will read the resource listed and see what I can do with the other weeks. Thank you for putting this challenge together.
January 27th, 2015
Where is the book pdf?
January 27th, 2015
This is perfect for me ~ I love BW but am useless at doing it myself ~ so I am in :D
January 28th, 2015
@olivetreeann @archaeofrog I have just purchased Andrew Gibson's book on Black and White, I'm really excited to learn how to take great B&w photos. It sounds like February will be fun.
Thank you Ann for posting how to do s/c, looking forward to experimenting!
Are we suppose to take a new B&W photo every day or can you use a photo we took earlier and processed it?
January 28th, 2015
@radiogirl Glad you'll be joining us Kathy! You can use whatever pictures you want. If you want to strictly follow the 365 rule- it's a picture a day. But if you're happy with recreating an older shot that's fine too. It's your project, your rules!
January 28th, 2015
@daisymiller @dannacruzanphotography @alisonp @radiogirl

Thank you Daisy, Danna, Alison and Kathy! Glad you're joining us!
January 28th, 2015
@summerfield I don't know whether @northy could handle a whole month. Maybe she'd better just think in terms of taking baby steps. :-)
I think I'd like to do the flash of red again. I don't do enough in B&W. We'll see how it shakes out.
January 28th, 2015
@mcsiegle Glad you'll be joining us Mary!
January 30th, 2015
I'd like to join in. Thanks your organization in this theme.
January 31st, 2015
@lyndemc Glad to have you join us Denise! I'm benefiting from putting it together.
January 31st, 2015
Thinking of combining this with Alphabet February. Let's see how it goes. I don't have the book though. I will follow along here.
February 1st, 2015
I just downloaded the book - I'm going to do it too! This will be my first challenge...thanks for the nudge Denise! @lyndemc
February 1st, 2015
@nadaa Thanks for joining in Nada! You are very creative with these things so I'm pretty sure you'll come up with some great combos!
@tabarlett Good for you Tammy! I remember doing my first challenge too- never thought I'd design one and repeat it year after year! But it is fun!! Welcome aboard!
February 1st, 2015
@olivetreeann OK... I have the book and will give it a try. Looking forward to expanding my horizons. :) Can you please tag me with updates? Many thanks.
February 2nd, 2015
@tabarlett Yeah for you, Tammy!
February 2nd, 2015
@rosiekerr Will do Rosie!
February 2nd, 2015
@olivetreeann I would like to participate as well. I had posted a color image yesterday but plan to move it to another album and replace it with one in black and white to "keep it pure". What a great challenge, thanks!
February 2nd, 2015
Pam
I would like to participate. Thank you :)
February 3rd, 2015
@nkawoods @pammerritt

Thanks for joining in Nancy and Pam!
February 3rd, 2015
I'm in :)
February 3rd, 2015
@snz Thanks for joining in Sinziana!
Write a Reply