Flash Diffusers

January 27th, 2015
They come in all shapes and sizes, from dome, to balls, to squares, to octagons... but I have no idea why one would choose one shape over another. Please help!
January 27th, 2015
I have a set of three I ordered from b&h--two rectangles of differnt sizes and one round. I also have a small square one. These are like soft boxes for your flash gun. I use the round one the most. I shoot mostly flowers and aquariums, the round seems to be OK. However, I am going another technique at the aquarium my next time there and one of rectangles may work best then.
January 28th, 2015
Really, shape doesn't matter too much, it's size and coverage. And what will fit. Can affect the shape of reflected catch-lights in portraits
January 28th, 2015
And, what about color? Blue, white, yellow?
January 28th, 2015
@juliedduncan Are you talking about filters that fit over the lens or diffusers for the flash?
January 28th, 2015
@frankhymus - thank you, that helps a lot!!
January 28th, 2015
@aquaina Oh, the diffusers that fit over the flash. I got a set of 3, but have never used them. I don't like using my flash anyway because I don't know that much (read, nothing) about it. ;)
January 28th, 2015
The shape is really only useful for catchlights. For instance when you take a portrait, the flash should reflect in their eyes. What shape that reflection takes on will depend on the light shape.
January 28th, 2015
@dtigani Thank you, that's very useful information!
January 28th, 2015
@juliedduncan I am going to purchase an external flash, because the built in flash is generally crap. I've read that the diffuser can really help. I think an external flash is going to make a huge difference for me. If you google image search both "external flash vs built in" and "before and after flash diffuser" you can get a lot of comparison photos, and see what a HUGE difference it can make. I'm new to flashes as well, but I think it will be worth learning. :)
January 28th, 2015
I recently 'engeneered' myself a flash diffuser for my pop-up flash out of a white piece of paper. Works like a charm. Unless I'm far away of course. I have no experience with commercial flash diffusers.
January 28th, 2015
I use a variety of diffusers but my favourite one is a thing called a Rogue Flashbender with the added diffusion panel. It is beautiful because it is light, fits most external flash guns, bends into a variety of shapes (including a snoot) and rolls up reasonably small to fit in a pocket or a handbag. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rogue+flashbender&espv=2&biw=1866&bih=1038&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=fbLIVMaMAqiv7Abx04CwBA&sqi=2&ved=0CFIQsAQ&dpr=0.9
January 28th, 2015
I own and like the Rogue Flashbender too. I have the long rectangle one that can act as a stripbox too. Bigger than most speedlite attachments, it is handy for softening light when your subject is five to ten feet away. Because of its size, it can be a tad bulky to carry around, especially in a crowd.

Speedlights (i.e. external camera flashes) are a great tool but they become really versatile when you take them off the camera and use a long wire or wireless trigger system to set them off. Stobist ( http://strobist.blogspot.ca/ to learn ) is a great resource to learn more about off-camera flash techniques.
January 28th, 2015
@juliedduncan Color is important if you are shooting in mixed light situations and going for the "slow synch" effect of getting the background into play. Flash is typically a "cool" color, incandescent warm, and fluorescents, well, simply green, garish and sort of sickly looking. The color of the diffuser should match the color of the ambient light, so that a single white balance adjustment will work across the frame
January 28th, 2015
@frankhymus Thank you for the advice, Frank!
January 28th, 2015
I've got one that slots onto my flash and is an opaque open ended box and I have just got a rogue flash bender, which is fab for directing flash light very specifically.........wouldn't be without either
Write a Reply