LED ring flashes

January 31st, 2015
I have a canon 60d camera. I am looking to experiment with an LED ringflash and don't want to spend a vast amount of money. If you are using one of these or know anything about them Please could you share your knowledge with me.
January 31st, 2015
Hi Christine, I bought one of these just a few weeks ago for my Canon 550D, again because I wanted to experiment with flash and different lighting (I don't have any other flash units). The one that I bought is http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IO0RNYE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

It cost £31. I chose it because it had good reviews and could be used as either continuous lighting or a flash, at different power settings, and is supposed to be a constant colour temperature of 5500K.

I'm really pleased with it and think it's great value for money! I have only really used it for still life and macro shots so far - mainly on the continous rather than flash setting, sometimes mounted on the camera but often just as a separate handheld light source - and it's been great for these purposes. I've used it on several of my 365 photos including the snowdrop and some of the still life and underwater shots. The ring light part even survived a quick (accidental!) dunking in the fish tank that I use for my underwater shots.

I can't comment on it's use as a flash (other than it works when mounted on the hotshoe of my camera) or for portraits etc, as I haven't tried these yet.

Do let me know if you have any more questions and have fun experimenting if you buy one!
January 31st, 2015
I have the Aputure that Sue S @sue_s mentioned and I endorse everything she says about it. It's great value for money and comes with a huge range of adaptors for fitting to vitrually any lens.

I have used it for macro work on and off the camera and for portraits and general still-life work. I use the continuous light and the flash - it's twice as bright as the continuous light. The light falls off quickly so it is only useful for fairly close work but the light fall-off gives you dark backgrounds.

I also have a real ring flash which I still use about half of the time... horses for courses. I also bought the Yongnuo Led Ring at the same time as the Aputure as I like their ordinary flash units - I've used the Yongnuo ring just once!!

Hope this helps.
January 31st, 2015
@sue_s @vignouse thank you for your responses. That is the ring flash I had been looking at on Amazon and you tube. After your responses I have gone ahead and ordered one. Can't wait to receive it!
January 31st, 2015
@chris17 Just to be sure, you want the one with 100 leds - not the earlier version with just 68. Here are two examples of the results you can get - a flower shot and a portrait where I wanted a dark background in order to be able to do a double exposure. http://365project.org/vignouse/365/2014-12-07 http://365project.org/vignouse/365/2014-12-01
January 31st, 2015
@vignouse thanks for your advice. I have ordered the one with the 100 LEDs.
January 31st, 2015
@chris17 Have fun with it!
@vignouse Lovely photos! I've used mine when I want black backgrounds as well and am really pleased with how easy it is to use.
Write a Reply