Views specs

February 25th, 2015
Can someone tell me how the views are calculated for our accounts? Does one have to actually click on the photo in our home page for it to count as a view? It's sort of odd... a couple times I have had several comments on a photo but the views are less than the comments. I assume that when people comment on the home page without clicking on the actual photo, it doesn't count as a view, which kind of isn't fair.
February 25th, 2015
That's exactly right Amy, one does have to actually click on the image in order for it to count as a view.
February 25th, 2015
@akirk yep. What Paula said. It didn't used to be like that.. the format changed last year and the official view totals are way down.
February 25th, 2015
Can I ask why it matters? I don't even look at views...the people that take the time to comment whether or not the photo was opened is what matters I think.
February 26th, 2015
It matters because when I follow a person, I want to make sure they get credit for their views. I have a couple I follow that are so awesome. Now that I know this for sure, I will always click on their photo rather than just looking at it in my home view.
February 26th, 2015
I want people to know I appreciate their work, so I open a LOT of pix so people get a view counted.
February 26th, 2015
I am not sure why views count? The more views and less comments works against you on the PP so i would thing less veiws but more comments would be a bonus. I guess we all do this for our own reasons, the view count doesn't bother me...as long as a few people see my work and comment I appreciate it,
February 26th, 2015
@mummarazzii I kinda thought the same... But either way, I'm happy for just the comment...
February 26th, 2015
I click on every photo to view the full image and read the narratives before I comment. Takes a little more time, but it's interesting to see the wide variety of photos and hear more about them.
February 26th, 2015
For me it's the comments on my photos which are the most interesting and important. I like to view others' shots before commenting. I'd also like to receive more constructive criticism.
February 26th, 2015
Why not open up the pic, and THEN comment? That way they get both :)
February 26th, 2015
When I was on this site a few years ago, the pics on the home page were thumb nail size and you had to open each one to really see it and comment.

I found it very daunting to comment because you had to open the picture, then comment and then go back to the home page to see the next one. It wasn't that bad for the first few, but then once you got down a few pictures you also had to re-scroll every time to get to the next picture.

It took forever to look and comment and a lot of got burned out on commenting.

On my computer the home page photos are pretty big and I can see them well without opening them and I can comment right there.

Now that being said, I still like to open ones that I want to get an even better look at.

I see the point about collecting views, and it is a valid one. But for me, I'm able to view more pictures and I feel that I now make more comments and Favs because it.

I guess no system is perfect right?

Happy viewing!
February 26th, 2015
Sometimes, too... clicking to open is beneficial because you can click again to view on black. Viewing on black is optimal on some of the photos here.
February 27th, 2015
@akirk views and comments are always good to recieve amy as we all like our pictures to reach an audience rather than sitting on our hard disks / network drives.

The latest home page design is pretty cool (has a flickr photostream feel to it)

If somebody has posted a detailed narrative i will click to read and comment. If somebody has a 1 line narrative i will comment from the home page.

I post on flickr and google+ too, but i don't know how they calculate views , although google seems to get 1000's of views per image.

Write a Reply