Travel Tripod

February 27th, 2015
In June, I'm going on a dream trip that involves a few days in Japan and then over a week in Bali. I have an old tripod that will not travel well, and I'm looking to buy a good travel one. I don't want to break the bank (stop laughing).

I've been using a pretty old Vivitar for ages now--so it's not like anything would not be a step up, but I need to make sure the tripod will support my new 7DMII -- my main lenses of "weight" are a 35mm Sigma and 75-300 mm Canon kit lens.

I have had the Manfrotto BeFree recommended to me, and I'm looking at the MeFOTO "Roadtrip" as an option. ($200 difference).

Anyone have experience with the MeFoto? I've looked through the discussion threads, but looking for updated experiences, if any. I'd like to stay under $175 if possible as I don't travel much and I usually carry my tripods with me otherwise. The MeFoto has a built-in monopod which I thought was handy.

Oh, and here are some specifics about how I will use the tripod on the trip:

Night scenes of city bridges, stills of some temples/cultural/architectural sights, sunsets (beaches and cities), some small village shoots (those may be hand-held mostly, though). Much of the trip in Japan, I will be geared up all the day long without a break. In Bali, I will not need so much gear at one time as I have more days there.

Thanks for anyone's advice (links appreciated with suggestions too!).

D.
February 27th, 2015
a couple very random thoughts...

1 - have you considered a gorillapod? very light and small compared to a full tripod, and of course very flexible... that said, i have a love-hate relationship with mine and rarely use it... but some love it...

2 - do you really need a tripod? my last trip i just used put the camera on the ground or a railing or a pile of books, to do long exposure shots.... lightened the load tremendously and made for much greater flexibility...

now mind you, if you're going specifically for photography then you need a tripod... but you need to remember to enjoy the trip and not be perpetually worrying about lugging around camera equipment...

ps - that trip sounds divine!
February 27th, 2015
Do look into that Gorillapod. I have one I travel with, and it is light, potrable, and does the trick on at least 90% of the shots I want when traveling.
February 27th, 2015
@northy @melston Yes, will need tripod. It's a photography trip and I'm going solo for a good portion. Not sure a gorillapod is what I am seeking. Thanks, though.
February 27th, 2015
I have The MeFOTO RoadTrip Travel Tripod and love it! It is great for hiking and also converts to a monopod if needed. I like how it folds to be pretty compact. It is around 3.6 Ibs. Take a look at here http://www.mefoto.com

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but thought I would share. Good luck and look forward to seeing your pics from your trip!
February 27th, 2015
Have you checked the forums at dpreview.com? Input this at google: "MeFOTO roadtrip" 2014 site:dpreview.com/forums/
February 27th, 2015
I have the MeFoto Globetrotter, which is just the big brother. It's very well made, and great value for money.
February 27th, 2015
i've got a three legged thing "brian" and love it.. these are all built on the same basic specs. Yours seems a bit lighter - it should come wiht some kind of hook for you to hang your bag underneath for extra stability?

The other big thing for me with these tripods is the way you extend the legs. Its less of an issue with where youre going but if you go somewhere cold, then the standard clips are a real pain to try to do / undo in the cold with gloves / cold fingers. With this design, you just grab it and twist it to loosen, twist in the opposite direction to tighten so you can do it with your gloves on
February 27th, 2015
@exposure4u Thanks for your review! It really looks like the best option and it is very affordable. The one thing I thought was pretty bad about the manfrotto beFree was no hook! For that expense and the very light weight of the tripod, a heavier camera will need the weight.

@fotoblah thanks! Yes, I've spent time looking at the reviews, and have almost locked in my decision for the MeFoto Roadtrip version.

@kiwisnapper Thanks Ashley! I'm tempted, but it looks like the Roadtrip will fit the bill -- so far the reviews for the MeFoto are really good.

@toast Yours looks great! It's just outside my price range is all. But I have to agree with you about the twist vs. clip mechanisms. The clips are so hard on my hands in cold weather. Have you experienced any problems with dust or sand on yours (seems to be one of the complaints I've read about the twist), but I don't see myself much in the sand (except in Bali of course, but I'll be careful).

Thanks everyone! If I get the MeFoto version, I can have a nice color too. Yeah, silly, but a nice way to identify my tripod in a sea of others on photo walks with my club. :)
February 28th, 2015
I have the slightly smaller MeFoto tripod and have found it great when travelling, especially while cycling and walking - it is light and compact and easy to use. The hook is really useful for hanging gear/weight on if you need it. I was a bit dubious about the twist to extend the legs as opposed to the clips I had on my previous tripod, but have found it quick and easy to use. Whatever you choose - have fun on your trip!
February 28th, 2015
I have an induro and love it. The weight is perfect and if I take the head off they fit in my carry on roller. They also have a carbon model that is even lighter
March 1st, 2015
@darylo VERY good point about the sand. I did a workshop with Pye Jirsa and he shoots on the beach all the time. His tip is this :
1. NEVER extend the smallest section... just extend the biggest section.
2. When you're moving the tripod around.. just pick it up and move it as is. When you're done with that area, move the whole tripod to a place not on the sand and then clean it
March 1st, 2015
@darylo An article/recommendation from The Wirecutter on this very subject: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-travel-tripod/
March 5th, 2015
@northy @melston @exposure4u @fotoblah @kiwisnapper @toast @pitasmum @phillyphotos @slash
Just wanted to let you know I received my MeFoto Roadtrip yesterday! Very easy to handle, sturdy (way sturdier than my old one). I could make a monopod in less than a minute--the twists are a dream. My only hesitation is the weight (3.5 pounds), but once I get my pack all done, I'll be able to know if it's the right fit. Even if I never used it to travel, it's "the one" for everything. Really compact, so I'm happy about that! And, it's green! :)

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions!
March 5th, 2015
Excellent!
March 6th, 2015
sounds cool! that green is awesome... i have to say, it looks a lot like my fotopro tripod... mine is orange, but the online images show very similar construction...
March 6th, 2015
awesome news! make sure you can attach a hook or whatever underneath so you can hang your camera bag for additional stability
March 6th, 2015
@toast it has one built in!
March 6th, 2015
brilliant!
March 7th, 2015
Awesome - mine is orange!
Write a Reply