Lens rental

March 26th, 2015
My son is getting married in a week! :-) We are using a photographer friend who is very talented. However, we just learned the bride and groom are preparing at separate locations, so my son asked if I will take the pre-wedding shots of him getting ready. I imagine the lighting won't be great (hotel room). Thinking of renting a lens that would be faster than my fastest current lens (28-75mm f2.8). I use a SONY. The place our photog recommended does not rent Sony's. Suggestions?
March 26th, 2015
Removing the dim lighting you find in hotel rooms, the quality of light (i.e. direction and size) is pretty poor as well so I'm not sure how much improvement you are going to get with a 1-2 stop faster lens. Assuming the pre-wedding is done during the day time, opening up those windows will give bright soft directional light. Losing the flexibility of a zoom lens for a faster lens in the lighting environment I mention above is arguable.

Off camera flash may be a better alternative so you can create the lighting you want.
March 26th, 2015
@davidtom Thanks so much for your response. I have a flash, but have not used it off camera. I should spend some time better learning the features of my flash. Checking eBay for a used lens...saw a 35 mm 1.4. I'm just thinking the hotel room will be cramped and no one should mind if I am up close. I know I could do "good enough" with what I have, but hoped to do better for my son.
March 26th, 2015
DbJ
I will have to second what David @davidtom said. In poor lighting, every stop counts so a fast lens is definitely in order. But there's always a catch-22, and we know that the more we open up the aperture we must be exponentially more careful to get the focus right. However, in my event photography experience I rarely open up past f/2.8. That is because its usually possible to get enough ambient light through positioning subjects well (i.e. if the best man is tying your son's tie, ask them to go over by the window to do it, etc), and/or by artificially improving the lighting conditions in the room as David suggested, opening curtains, or closing all the curtains and turning on all indoor lights available (don't do both or that risks white balance issues). If ambient light is still insufficient then go to flash. Even if you have not done off camera flash, no worries...presuming you have or can get your hands on a speedlite with adjustable head? Hopefully the ceiling/walls in the room are white, use the flash mounted on hot-shoe and direct it at the walls or ceiling which will flood the room with light. Admittedly not as elegant as off camera, but satisfies #1 rule of wedding photography which is #1 get the image first no matter what it takes, then #2 try to get a better one if you can. The next step you could investigate is bouncing the flash off of a white or silver reflector. This would be preferable to bouncing it off the walls or ceiling but does require someone to hold and aim the reflector for you. Finally don't be afraid to raise the ISO (if shooting RAW). The only people that care about ISO are photographers and if shooting JPEG. :) I frequently shoot ISO 3200 and even higher at events shooting RAW and applying noise correction in post processing. Every other professional I've worked beside does the same. If the composition and content of the image is solid, no one will care if there's a bit of noise in the shadows.

I hope these comments help, although ultimately you must take the approach that makes you feel the most comfortable. The more comfortable you are, it will show in the images; I'm confident you will do outstandingly! :D
March 26th, 2015
@dbj Thank you so much for your detailed response. I do feel comfortable. Before we hired the photog, I took their engagement photos. I also shoot a lot at church, so ISO 3200 is very familiar to me. Photos will be between 3-4, so we may get decent lighting through the windows. Thanks for the suggestion of the reflector. My friend is going with me, so we'll have extra hands. I definitely appreciate all responses.
March 26th, 2015
DbJ
@danette Awesome...sounds like you'll nail this
March 27th, 2015
If there was time I'd consider supplemental backlit shots (subject in front of window) of the large or unmistakeable gestures of dressing, e.g., putting on a coat, adjusting a tie, especially if the groom is recognizable from his silhouette.
March 27th, 2015
Yup I would probably try a prime lens over a zoom, I'm not sure what the crop is on your Sony but 35mm could well be a good place to start. Also bounced flash can be a very satisfactory solution - I have no idea how to use mine off-camera either! But if you play around pointing it in different directions you can usually manipulate where shadows are falling on people's faces etc. In my experience (which was really mostly at home with the kids but also at gigs, before I bought my new kit and stopped using flash) the colour of the wall/ceiling is not as crucial as many people say? I'm sure others will have different opinions ... but if you have the option to tweak White Balance (either in camera or post, esp if shooting Raw) or plan to shoot/convert to B&W it becomes even less of an issue.
March 27th, 2015
@danette thanks for asking this great question and I have also learned a lot from all the replies :)
Write a Reply