New Camera Settings Challenges/CameraSavvy - feedback please

March 30th, 2015
We want your open and honest opinion on these challenges.
We put together a brief survey - YOUR INPUT IS VALUABLE.

A. What do you think of the new camera settings challenges/ Camera Savvy?
List all that apply - comments are encouraged.
1)
A. They have been exactly what I need
B They are too complicated and difficult to follow
C They have been too entry level for where I'm at
D) The time frame has been too short for me to participate
E) Other - explain please

2)
What do you think of the feedback you received on your photos & questions for these challenges?
F. They have been exactly what I need
G. They are too complicated and difficult to follow
H. They have been too entry level for where I'm at
I. The response was too slow or not at all
J. Other - explain please

3) Do you want to see more of these challenges?
K. Please continue
L. I'm not interested
M. I lost interest in them
N. Yes & No
O. other - please explain

WHAT TOPICS DO YOU WANT TO SEE COVERED?
March 31st, 2015
I am quite interested in you continuing - although I've been shooting a while, much of what I've learned is haphazard and see what works. This has given a lot of background to help make sense of the settings on my camera. I have appreciated the feedback I've gotten on the shots I've submitted. I wish I could suggest topics, but I guess I don't know enough to know what I need to know. I love trying whatever you explain.
March 31st, 2015
@acsstudios @adayinmallacoota @aecasey @aliha @alinz @alisonp @andrina @aponi @aquaina @autumneden2015 @barb_b @barbtatum @barneyone @berta @billy52 @bizziebeeme @blinkny @brigette @brittwd @bsheppard @callymazoo @candysiegmueller @cathieg @catsmeowb @ccb @cdean1956 @christophercox @clake @craazyal @cruiser @cynthiak @darylo @deb60 @deborah63 @deverest @dianen @dmcoile @dsp2 @elliotwb @emblegemble @fivefingerofdeath @francoise @frankhymus @froggie0628 @gabigabs @gai @grammyn @gratefulness @harts @homeschoolmom @houser934 @iqscotland @jannkc @jantan @jbd1962 @jennymallett @jennywren @jewelofdenial @jocasta @jocee @joeyl @julieco @juliedduncan @justaspark @kalm @karlow75 @kauaikris @kerrynz @kimmy15 @ksyvarth @kwiksilver @ladygator @lauramalone82 @leestevo @lensenvy @lfreeman1230 @libertylady @lifepause @linah @lizfawn @lsquared @lstasel @ludgate @luka365 @lynnb @lynnilou @maaayke @madamelucy @maishanny @melinareyes @miata2u @milaniet @motherjane @mpratt @mrslaloggie @musecreative @mzbull @mzzhope @nanderson @newbank @nickspicsnz @northy @nosarian @olivetreeann @omglooksquirrel @oreos808 @overalvandaan @pamknowler @panthora @paulam @paulaw @pistache @polarvrtx @psychegrrrl @quietpurplehaze @quintus @randystreat @rangerxenos @ribbet9 @rosie1610 @rosiekerr @salza @sarahsthreads @shazzym @slash @soseema @sparkle71 @squamloon @stepheesue @summerfield @susie1205 @taffy @tahoemb @thejazzyj @theresefriis @thistle @transatlantic99 @trinda @tstb @ukandie1 @voiceprintz @weebindi2 @wingwatcher @yaorenliu @zosimasy @jyokota
March 31st, 2015
1. A and C ... I have been using Manual for some time and I do find the challenges a great refresher.
2. tbh I haven't asked for feedback, so have recieved none to date
3. K ~ please

The new subject of focusing will be a good challege for me ~ the different Af modes are something I do not use currently ~ I only use continuous so look forward to learning lots

Metering, exposure compenssation, bracketing are all features I use on my camera but have no idea why or how they work apart from trial and error each time I use them.
March 31st, 2015
1)

E) Other - explain please
I wanted to say too entry level, but that's not entirely correct, but I've been familiar with the challenges so far.

2)
What do you think of the feedback you received on your photos & questions for these challenges?
J. Other - explain please
none as I haven't participated, let alone asked for feedback (yet)

K. Please continue

looking forward to learning new things so keep them coming :)
March 31st, 2015
I have not participate in all the challenges, but I have copy & paste all the notes to the Word Document for future reference:

1. A

2. F

3. K

The explanations were easy to understand and lot if it. etc. The feedback was great, even read other feedbacks from other 365s photos.

Only one negative thing I think the challenges should be for 2-3 weeks. As we all live busy lives, sometimes I can only shoot on weekends or its raining all week, etc . The next thing the next challenge is already up.
Maybe in the future...repeat some of the past challenges like shutter speeds, manual or what do you think people had trouble in. I do not mind at all repeating some challenges again.

Thank you to everyone for their hard work and time in helping us.
I really appreciate it. :-) Lee-Ann
March 31st, 2015
1. A

2. J I have not received feed back

3. K.

These challenges keep me motivated
March 31st, 2015
1.A,C,E. although on the surface some of them seem to basic, I have actually learned a ton from them that I did not know. Or at the time of the challenge it I think I get it then on a future challenge my knowledge builds on itself and it all comes together in a more advanced way than I thought.
2.F. Especially when I put out a question or comment!
3. K. please continue! I'm learning soooo much.
These challenges are really building on one another and as we move on to the next I find myself reinforcing past challenges! Seriously, I think they are great and I assume as we move forward they will get more advanced so that anyone who thinks they are basic now will be challenged too! Usually a week works for me but I have stay that because it is early spring here (and it's been cold) the nighttime challenges have been harder for me! Thank you, thank you!
March 31st, 2015

1)

Even though I felt I knew much of the material covered, being able to get feedback made me realize knowing the concepts/techniques is not the same thing as applying them.

2)

Always seemed honest and even though, at times, I had already noticed things that needed to be improved on, there were also times when the critiques pointed out things I had not even noticed.

K. Please continue

I do agree with @leestevo that the challenges should go for at least 2-3 weeks each, or randomly repeat them with new topics added in as well.

Definitely metering modes.
March 31st, 2015
1 D I keep forgetting - my fault, not yours
3 K

Yes please, I've bookmarked all so far and hope that if and when I get a chance to practice I'll still get some feedback.

Maybe just make it a bit longer?
March 31st, 2015
I have been printing out all the lessons but have not been able to apply the lessons during the week. It's mostly due to a busy schedule right now and sometimes the lesson is a bit beyond where I am- but that's me, not you!

Question 1: D & E
Question 2: F & J- I did manage to participate in the Night Shot lesson and received a nice critique from the leader (@taffy) which I truly appreciated.
Question 3: K & O I will continue to print them out and read them when I can, also using them when I can if my schedule does not allow me time to shoot in the current structure.

I think all of you are doing a great job!
March 31st, 2015
I would love to see the CSC continue. As others have said, I think that extending the time and/or repeating some of the ones ppl seemed to have trouble with makes a great deal of sense. I know, for example, I still don't know EXACTLY when to use AV/TV/M based on the shot I'm setting up, the light, or potential movement/blur that might result.

Question responses would be 1A, 2F, 3K.

Topics of interest: See above! In addition, bracketing to HDR, f-stop conversions (i.e., stepping exposure up or down has what effect on the f-stop equivalent?), in-camera editing, and how and when are those "extra" settings best? You know the ones: vivid, warm, cool, etc. Perhaps never!
March 31st, 2015
1.A.- They have been exactly what I need.
2.J- Other. I have not posted any photos from this challenge, although I have tried some, so therefore have not yet received feedback.
3. K- Please continue.

I really do appreciate this information and the time that people have voluntarily put in to make it available. I print out each post to keep and refer back to. I really hope you will continue because I find it quite beneficial. Thanks to all who have contributed to make this challenge possible.
March 31st, 2015
@clake When you do try a shot I recommend you post the photo in the thread since it lets those working on the challenge know there is interest and keeps the post toward the top of the feed and not get forgotten.

@voiceprintz @olivetreeann @kwiksilver @kwiksilver @cdean1956 @dianen @dmdfday @leestevo @milaniet
Thank you for your feedback this helps us out a lot
March 31st, 2015
1a 2f 3k please continue if you can spare the time. I've learned a lot and saved all the valuable techniques to Evernote for future reference. Thank you for all you do. Much appreciated.
March 31st, 2015
The challenge is not for me (camera without settings) but the idea and the survey is good. Well done!
March 31st, 2015
ADFK I have loved these challenges, I just need life to slow down a bit so I can catch up. I am a few challenges behind
March 31st, 2015
I'm a newcomer to photography. I bought my first camera one day and joined 365 the next! We don't have a local camera club so apart from a couple of lessons all I've learned has been through the wonderful people on 365.
I find the lessons invaluable. Most of them I have found quite difficult but so well explained that I have managed them. Playing catch up with the night shots as I was out most evenings last week. However like several others I have printed them all out for reference. My brain is far too old to retain things without written reminders!
1) A =definitely and D= but that's just my aged brain!
2) F= very helpful
3) K= yes please
You are amazing to give up your time to help others in this way and I am very grateful. From my point of view being at the bottom end of the class I'm loving it and and happy to try anything.
March 31st, 2015
1A,
2J, Tried a couple but not posted results. Family health issues have got in the way of my photography lately. I have kept up with other's posts and read your critiques with great interest.
3K Please continue as hopefully I will be able to take part properly sometime soon. You are all doing great work giving up your time and generously giving your knowledge to us all!! Many thanks!!
March 31st, 2015
1. A, I have learnt a fair bit doing these challenges. I did already know about AV/TV/Manual but I have learnt more tips & hints and am starting to understand how everything goes together.

2. F - I have had some pictures where I have asked specific questions and the feedback that I got really helped. From the feedback I have learnt more than just what the lesson was about - which I have been applying to my photos since.

3. K - Definitely keep going. I really look forward to these challenges each week.

I don't know any specific topics at the moment. I am happy to keep working through all the settings one by one.

Thank you all for organising these challenges, your efforts are appreciated.

Jenny
March 31st, 2015
@myhrhelper

1. A
2. F
3. K

I have found the challenges really useful and have certainly learnt a lot about my camera. I also find it useful to follow the week's thread and look at other people's photos and read the feedback.

I have submitted some photos to the thread for feedback and was happy with the feedback I received. Feedback was always prompt. I notice that for some people, they got very detailed and ongoing feedback so that they understood the exercises. People seem to go the extra mile.

Sometimes I didn't post my photos into the thread especially if I felt I had a 'grip' on the exercises as I didn't want to waste people's time.

I think the effort and information that has gone into the weekly challenges has been fantastic and everyone involved is to be applauded for their input and dedication. It is hard enough just keeping your own project going I find.

There have been a couple of weeks I haven't participated but that is mainly because I have been on holidays and choose not to have internet access while I am away.

This has been by far the most informative and useful challenge/exercise for me.

Anyway, I would love to see it continue but I understand if it doesn't due to the time and energy commitment required.
March 31st, 2015
A.F.K
I think this set of advice, information and challenges has been brilliantly done, but I have not had time to participate in terms of time to properly experiment with taking photographs, or to get involved with submitting images or giving and receiving feedback, which I know is by far the biggest asset of this site. I am missing the immersive quality of 365 and hope to have more time for photography soon. When I do, I will be referring back to all the pages and trying everything out, so long term this will be a wonderful resource for me, so thank you to everyone who has put in valuable time and effort to educate the rest of us.
March 31st, 2015
I think these are great. I don't always have time to do them all but take this new one about AF Servo. I've done it before and completely forgotten it.
March 31st, 2015
@voiceprintz Hi JT. When to use what mode?

I would suggest Av for most conditions, concentrating particularly on focus and Depth of Field. Goes with this week's challenge I think. :)

Tv if you are concerned about stopping motion or blurring motion. Goes with this week's AF-C, focus tracking.

And M for very awkward light and scene conditions where the camera meter can be fooled, extremely dark (black subject filling the fame, night time), extremely light (snow, sand, beach, shot straight into the sky) especially. M is the one that requires most thought and preparation, sometimes trial and error, and for me it doesn't fit well for photo walks when shooting many different subjects in different light conditions and those once-never-to-be-repeated moments.

Good shooting, and thanks for the feedback!
March 31st, 2015
1. A
2. F
3. K
Being new to photography, I have found these challenges have really helped me begin to understand my camera more, and has given me the confidence to get out of auto mode. I still have a lot to learn and although I may not put my shots into this thread, I am continually practicing what I learn from here.
I look forward to the weekly thread, and I really hope you continue with this.
March 31st, 2015
@myhrhelper
What do you think of the new camera settings challenges/ Camera Savvy?
1) A, D, E (I really signed on to help out as I've done CSC a lot before, but I'm following it and really love how it's a very useful source for people starting out or learning to do manual. While I have been doing some of these techniques before, I think doing them again (especially with my new camera), that I have lots to gain. That being said...I am not able to do as much as I did in Year 1 and 2, so I'm really here to help provide samples or feedback for anyone wanting it. :)

2) I have not asked for feedback, but I have offered feedback and folks seem to like it.

3) K

Topics: spot metering. Adjusting light levels manually. Using a histogram. Bracketing...It could go on forever!

Suggestions: since this is no longer a competition, it would be nice if there was a) more time to work with the challenge and b) have a "pick one of your favorites of the group" to make it more interactive? That way, the folks doing it are looking at others' work. I would encourage posting in the thread of the challenge too--will keep it in the "feed" and noticed. I still wish there was a better way of keeping things on the discussion thread longer than a day. @scrivna (still looking for a way to work with themes/challenges other than the discussions board!). Thanks Ross if you see this. :)
March 31st, 2015
Oh, and true compliment here: You are doing an awesome job. The information is really good and I love how it invites experimentation and exchange of ideas. Awesome.
March 31st, 2015
1a,2f,3k. Firstly a big thank you for all the time and help put into this challenge. Although I have been shooting for a while this clarifies and explains properly what I am doing. The step by step instruction is excellent. The feed back is really helpful as is reading feedback given to others. A 2 week time could be helpful. The biggest plus is that this is not a competition thread.
March 31st, 2015
As above, huge thank you for doing this. Sadly with a lot of family things and a bereavement I have not really put y heart and soul in it...but I have saved all the stages to read and practise as the information was very useful. I am going away with another 365er for a weekend in a fortnight and hope to read up and try out tips while away, eg night settings etc. If it is not too much trouble then continuing is great as all is relevant.
March 31st, 2015
thank you what you are doing, it is great. In the moment I have not so much time to particpate, house movement is time consuming, but I love to read and try to remember.
March 31st, 2015
Not much time left, so far behind but I've saved the links and when time permits I read them. Including the questions people ask, from that and the answers/feedback I also learn a lot. Please continue, maybe a bit longer time frame per challenge. Thank you all!!
March 31st, 2015
Kathy, thank you very much for taking time to prepare the camera savvy. You have done an excellent job.
1A
1B. Because I am very new to photography and I am not a native english speaker, so sometimes it takes me awhile to follow the instructions and information because of my lack of camera terminology.
1E. The winter is really harsh and long here (northern Maine). Any photo shooting requires to do it outdoor, it's almost impossible for me.
3K. I do read the information you posted and try to understand and learn more.

March 31st, 2015
Thank you so much for the camera savvy really enjoying it.
1. A - All so informative
2. F
3. K yes please continue! Enjoying them so much and learning so so much especially as I now have a new camera.
Thank you so much for all the time and effort that goes into these all so much appreciated. I have been book marking and also saving them and will refer back to them especially as hubby just treated me to a new camera Canon 7D markii ,
March 31st, 2015
1. A
2. J I haven't asked for feedback and have only actually posted one pic from the challenges but I have bookmarked all the wonderful threads for when I have a bit more time.
3. K

Although I haven't participated very much I think what you are doing is wonderful, a big thank you. I really hope to participate more going forward.
March 31st, 2015
@darylo I would like to add you to the CSC Camera Savvy team if you are open. We communicate via e-mail. If interested please send me a message to kettlemorainestudios@gmail.com
March 31st, 2015
I'd add that I like recycling through these because when I joined there were maybe 20 of them out there. I went back through some of them because they were so good but it's more fun to be involved in something that is more current.
April 1st, 2015
First of all, thank you so much for doing this. I love reading the information that you have provided about the camera settings. It has been such a big help to me. (The guide that came with the camera should be so informative!) I have copied all of the challenges and put them in a binder and I refer to them all of the time.

In order to save time I copied a pasted your questions and responses below and deleted the responses that don't apply to me and kept the ones that do apply to me.

D) The time frame has been too short for me to participate

I have thoroughly enjoyed the challenges and have truly learned and continue to learn a lot. I wanted to participate more fully but since the beginning of the year I have been so busy that I couldn't participate to the extent that I wanted to. Maybe there would be a way to move on to the next challenge but go back to older challenges for those who didn't get a chance to participate--especially helpful to new comers to 365.

2) What do you think of the feedback you received on your photos & questions for these challenges?

I only participated in one challenge. I actually posted another photo for another challenge, Full Manual Mode-Putting it all Together, but I guess that I was too late because I didn't get a response. Sometimes the feedback was a little "over my head" but that is how I learn. If I don't understand something I look it up or I ask questions. I just like the feedback; I don't care if it is too simple or too complicated, I just appreciate the comments. The comments I received have made me a better photographer!

K. Please continue

What makes good composition.
The Rules that were meant to be broken. i.e. "Rule of Thirds" (I don't understand that one at all!)
What makes a good photo? Can you even explain that! I look at a photo and I know if it speaks to me but I can't tell you why.
I want to hear more about that light meter.
Why should a subject be off-center.
What about those of us who use a p&s--any tips.
April 2nd, 2015
@april16 @aponi @paulaw @bizziebeeme @yeshanghai @overalvandaan @tstb @callymazoo @jennywren @darylo @deborah63 @aponi @jbd1962 @adayinmallacoota @jennymallett @pamknowler @thistle @kauaikris @mastermek @mzbull
Thank you for responding to this survey. It helps us know if we are on target or what we can do better. We are going to have the challenges last two weeks from now on. Also, if you participate please post the photo in the thread it keeps the thread toward the top so it doesn't fall out of view, if you don't participate immediately if you let us know it is something you will be working on even in the future it helps us know there it is a topic of interest.
April 2nd, 2015
@myhrhelper OK, thanks and I will do :-)
April 2nd, 2015
@myhrhelper Thank you!
April 2nd, 2015
@frankhymus @voiceprintz Yes thank you for your feedback.

I sort of agree & disagree with Frank, but that is because we have different styles and so there really isn't a right or wrong it is what you get the best results with.

I think Aperture priority AV is the once to choose when you want to get the depth of field or have some of the image nice & crisp sharp and other parts to be blurry. Many photographers use this as their primary setting but I don't like using it. The camera will often select a shutter speed that is too slow to hand hold with a crisp focus shot. So then you need to adjust the ISO which may bring more noise than what I prefer. But again this is my own taste.

For TV or Shutter Speed priority - as Frank said do you want to freeze motion? Do you want silky looking water? Do you want to do night shots then you will want to control the shutter speed.

Manual mode you control it all. I think for most professional photographers they want to be able to control everything and not let the camera choose. If you use it all the time what you choose becomes second nature. For me it makes photography so much more fun. I use this mode almost always.

April 2nd, 2015
@myhrhelper @voiceprintz Kathy mentioned she finds A (Canon Av) will sometimes select too slow a shutter and you'll have to (manually) adjust the ISO.

I suggest that you investigate AUTO ISO and the ISO Speed Range (Page 109 and following in your 6D manual). You set a minimum and maximum ISO you will allow and the slowest shutter speed you will allow. The camera in Av will, with the aperture you have chosen, try the lowest ISO and attempt a metering that will have a shutter faster than what you have specified as the slowest allowed. If it can't reach that speed, it will increase ISO automatically but only as far as necessary to bring the shutter speed up to your slowest allowed speed.

Even better, you can set AUTO as your desired slowest shutter speed, and the camera will look at the current focal length of your lens and automatically set the slowest allowed shutter to 1/(focal length), the "well known" safe hand held rule. This works great if you have a wide range zoom and zoom in and out between shots, all will be taken into account. And as you change lenses, you don't have to bother to change anything. Unless you want to for some reason.

Kathy, the equivalent Nikon set of features is ISO Sensitivity Settings that you can find in the Shooting Menu on the third page for your D7000. Perhaps you were not aware of them? The Nikon features are even nicer than the Canon, since you can also adjust the "auto" speed selection algorithm up or down from what the camera defaults to (1/focal-length), useful if you have extremely good VR lenses and want to go slower. Or faster if you have unsteady hands. You are in complete control of what the camera does.

And it all works consistently as expected (and hoped for) in further conjunction with Exposure Compensation. Which we haven't yet talked about here on CSC.
April 2nd, 2015
People keep sayin they bookmark the topics. Please let me know how to do this. I know if I Fav a photo I can find it again but I cannot Fav these topics. Many thanks.
April 2nd, 2015
I am enjoying the topics which are all new to me! Sometimes I don't manage to complete the challenge but still enjoy reading it - hopefully I can work towards these different levels of expertise. I would like to bookmark too so that when I feel I need the next episode I can easily find it.
Thanks to all those who give their time and feedback - every one of my questions have been answered!
April 2nd, 2015
@pamknowler
You will find the 'bookmark' in your internet browser. It's usually in the top tool bar.
April 2nd, 2015
@deborah63 Thanks Debbie - finally worked out how to do it!!
April 2nd, 2015
@myhrhelper a,d,k for me also. I have not been active in many but have followed and would like some of the time frames to be shorter,some longer, and when I thought about it realized how difficult it must be to coordinate.please do continue. When asked for, have received wonderful and helpful feedback very quickly.
April 2nd, 2015
@frankhymus @myhrhelper

Thanks for the feedback, Frank and Kathy. I'm sorry for my delay in responding. I'm on a photo stay-cation and have been away from my computer a great deal this week.

I, typically, shoot in AV, as a Canon user. Most often, my ISO is set at 100-400 and that, generally, works well as I am sensitive to the need to shift the ISO as I'm changing the f-stop or lens. I have played with ISO in auto and have found that often it defaults to something too high and I end up with distracting noise that limits the amount of post-processing I can do. White balance is frequently set to auto although I do enjoy matching the WB to conditions on an especially sunny or cloudy day. It seems to maximize the camera's abilities based on the situation.

I totally agree with use of Manual mode as a "walk about" setting. However, I really do enjoy low-key shots and M is the way I am most successful at achieving the results I enjoy most. I feel remarkably comfortable with that having played with it fair amount in the last year.

That leaves TV. I feel (fairly) confident using TV in outdoor settings to capture either freeze-frame shots or blurred pans depending on whim and conditions. Conversely, I have lost really terrific indoor shots bc of movement in the subject when blur is not what I want, lighting is too low for reasonable AV without the ISO so high that grain is evident, or M is just impractical for the shot.

I try fiddling with the shutter speed and lose light. I bump the ISO and hold the shutter speed constant and it looks grainy. Two examples of situations in which I lost memories. One...gift opening at Christmas. DOH! Can't get those back! Two...talent show with dancing and singing. OOPS! Can't get those back either. I'm never sure what I'm doing wrong and get really frustrated as a result.

Sometimes, I just set the camera on P and let it do all the work. However, as someone who REALLY wants to learn how to use my camera, I would like to understand how to use it rather than it doing all the work.

Many thanks for your time and response. I'll check the referenced information in my 6D manual once home from my latest shooting adventure!
April 3rd, 2015
@voiceprintz I think you'll find the ISO Speed settings will keep the ISO as low as it can be in Av while providing you a suitably fast shutter. Good luck when you return.
April 6th, 2015
I'm sorry I'm only getting to this now!

1) A mix of A & D - I would love to explore some of these in more depth, but it sometimes doesn't work out with how my week is going (night photography sounded really fun, but I'm generally stuck home with sleeping children and the sky was overcast all that week, so not much to photograph!)

2) I haven't posted in so many threads, but the feedback I received when I did was a solid F. (Not as in the grade, the survey option!)

3) Do you want to see more of these challenges? Yes, K! I like the idea of them running for two weeks as was mentioned earlier in the thread, it gives me a better chance of being able to work on them.

WHAT TOPICS DO YOU WANT TO SEE COVERED? I've gotten pretty comfortable in M mode, but I know there are so many more things I can learn about my camera and photography in general, so I'm happy to try out whatever topics you throw our way!
Write a Reply