Street Challenge #3

March 31st, 2015
Hey everyone. It looks like it's time for another street challenge.

Thank you to @ukandie1 for hosting the last Street challenge. Also, thank you to everyone who voted for my picture when there were so many great nominations last round.

Street photography is often B&W, but not exclusively or necessarily so. Contains a human presence & element even if it is architecturally inclined. Often defined as "Unposed scenes in public places": so, no street portraiture where the subject is posing - although they may catch you & look into the camera! It does need to be confined to overtly urban areas - could be a beach. Avoid heavy hdr processing, spot-colouring etc...

Catching a fleeting moment WHERE THE PRIMARY SUBJECT IS PEOPLE, doing what people do, being what people are and which moves the viewer in some way.
Entries will start today Wednesday 1st April until Wednesday 15th April.

Tag your shots: street-3

Good luck and have fun!
April 1st, 2015
@dtigani And images HAVE to be shot between April 1 and 15? Or are backdated entries also allowed?
April 1st, 2015
@ericdibosco images should be taken during the competition open dates.
April 1st, 2015
I really want to do this. Today i went into town wandered about a bit and went home without even taking my camera out of my bag! I just don't feel confident to do it ~ do you have any tips?
April 1st, 2015
@alisonp if you haven't allready read these ebooks http://thomas.leuthard.photography/ebooks/ I found inspiration from these. Don't feel defeated because you didn't take any photos. Walk around and observe you will see things differently spot things that normally go unnoticed. Next time carry your camera. Either in your hand or around your neck. What I find is quite successful and less obvious is to shoot from the hip. It's may sound like cheating or a bit sneaky but to get natural candid shots it works quite well provided you camera focuses where you want it to. I satisfy myself that this is ok because I am identifying somthing that may work as a street photo. The other thing is don't be afraid to edit! Crop straighten etc. you can focus in on the subject and make the scene work without getting into people's faces. I could go on and on but one other tip is to look into shop windows and bistro type cafés. People are usually to busy talking to notice you and you can get great reflections too. Hope this helps.
April 1st, 2015
@barrowlane thank you so much ~ I will try and get back into town tomorrow and 'try' again :D

Thank you for the link too ~ downloading the ebook now :D
April 1st, 2015
@alisonp I agree with what @barrowlane has said. when starting out, I found it easier to go places where there were tourists. They've all got their cameras out already so you don't feel like the odd one out.
April 2nd, 2015
@dtigani thank you ~ I am going to do this this month [starting tomorrow] ~ I have been reading the ebooks from above and found them and the advice here very useful ~ thank you!
April 2nd, 2015
I did it!! @barrowlane, @dtigani ha ha ~ not the best ~ but a start :D ... thank you for giving me the confidence to try :D

April 2nd, 2015
These people were looking at the map of the San Diego Safari Park
April 3rd, 2015
@alisonp I think that's a great shot, especially for your first try!
April 5th, 2015
April 5th, 2015
@sgtpepper thank you for the link, I practiced some of these on the weekend ~ I was away for a few days so a tourist and felt very inconspicuous ~ my shooting from the hip needs a lot of practice ~ I had lots of floor and sky photos :D ... but a few were passsable :D
April 6th, 2015
I am really enjoying this 'street photography malarky', I am a great people watcher, and can spend hours watching peole going about there business, now it is just to get some photos of them doing it :D ...

I have a question ~ as i am just starting out on street photography, how many photos do you think is 'normal' to be shooting ? I am clicking away willy nilly, especially from the hip [ I have yet to master this as I end up with lots of the floor or sky or headless people]... I think once I have built up my confidence more I will compose shots better ~ the ones I have posted I have taken in the normal way ~ using the viewfinder to compose.
Write a Reply