Travel Backpack Recommendation--Finally Found a Pack I love!

May 5th, 2015
Hi all,

I'm leaving for Japan and Bali in June, and I recently bought a new Backpack (Lowepro 20L Flipside) to handle all my gear. I wanted the following: could take my tripod, two pro bodies, a point and shoot, 3 lenses (including a zoom), two batteries, charger, various filters, a Kindle, some snacks. I also wanted easy access to my gear because some days, I'll be fully loaded with the stuff AND I wanted to make sure it would fit dimensions for the carry on for an international flight.

I've been using it a month in preparation for my trip. Daily, I carry a different load, but I always include my tripod, which is great, but 3.5 pounds. The wonderful thing about the pack I bought is the tripod fits very securely on the side of the pack and is really easy to access. On the right side of the pack is a water reservoir area (can really only handle a 1L bag, but I plan to use it for other day time necessities). Inside the pack, all gear fits really well with room to spare (and it all goes on the back for the pack--your actual back). At first, I thought, well, I don't want that; I'll have to take it off to access gear every time, and I really don't like that, BUT, the "flipside" nature of this pack means that with the waist belt attached, all you have to do is take off the arm straps, and literally SWING the pack to the front, unzip there and you can do everything while the pack rests perpendicular to your body. AND with the tripod on with my particular pack (the waist support is more substantial in my size pack). Another benefit is that traveling in some areas where theft may be a concern--well, they'll have to take you down first.

Other features I LOVE:
1) the camera gear sits inside a removable carry case (with flaps to cover gear in case you are in rain or dusty areas). Once you remove the case, the backpack becomes just a backpack!
2) the pack is AW (all weather) so it has a waterproof flap stored in the bottom of the pack and can easily be put over pack should weather turn bad at last minute.
3) the Flipside 20L comes with zipper storage areas (note, if you get a smaller version, and I do recommend the 15L if you aren't trying to fly with the pack, then it will feel limiting without area for other essentials like snacks, but it will have the hydration pouch area--you must buy the hydration pouch).
4) you can store hiking poles (I'll put a selfie stick there, but for hikers, an essential).
5) You can choose orange or blue/grey for the pack
6) it's super comfy, with very good aeration for the pack and the arms (especially against your back if you are going to be in heat).

The 10L and 15L are definitely worth a look for those seeking a new pack.

Oh, Cons
1)if you use a side holster, it's not going to flip easily. I'm just putting my camera strap over the shoulder as it will fit, but I find it annoying that I can't really use the Black Rapid strap (luckily I didn't buy one, and I'm borrowing one for days I will use just camera with me and not a pack).

2) While the 20L does have front zipper pockets, they are deep, so if you were going to store something small, it's going to slide to the bottom. That's a big minus.

3) No specific card storage slots--boooo! All of my other Lowepro gear has that simple and essential element--I'm famous for losing those things, so I'm going to probably sew something in the side.

Hope this helps. I have never found a pack I LOVE, and I have been on a two-year search.

Here is a link to the page on Lowepro. If you scroll down to the video to show you a ridiculous scene of someone running with the 15L version. My version has the added storage and the heavy duty waste support (which does have two mesh pockets -- phone fits perfectly on one side and my lens cover I'm using in the other).

http://www.lowepro.com/flipside

Here is a photo when I first got it--Not very good, but give you an idea:
May 5th, 2015
It sounds lovely.I have multiple bags, holsters and straps but none of them quite fit the bill! Good luck with yours and have a lovely trip.
May 5th, 2015
@creampuff Thanks! Will report after I do the real thing. So far, my walks involve me using the pack as if I would use it on the trip. :)
May 5th, 2015
Sounds fantastic - and so does your trip. I am looking forward to seeing lots of wonderful things. I took ages choosing my Lowenpro but there are some featured on yours I like. It was my first proper bag and a Christmas present so I have time yet before I can upgrade if needed. ;-)
May 5th, 2015
@callymazoo I'm a big fan of the Lowepro line--the one I have been using forever was a shoulder pack and I loved it. This new line takes it all to another level, but I think they are a quality pack maker!
May 5th, 2015
I chose the sling back for easy access but I se that you can still have easy access with the backpack - and someone said that it is more even on the back if you are carrying a tripod. I have been a bit lazy with that and have only done a short walk with it slung over my shoulder. I also don't like a hot back which is another reason for the sling style.
May 6th, 2015
Awesome-enjoy& travel safe:)!
May 6th, 2015
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm probably going to be looking for something before next year as I hope to be traveling over to England and Scotland.
May 7th, 2015
@darylo Thank you it looks a fantastic backpack, I think I may go for the 15l as the 20l I may find a little to big for me, hoping to have a look in John Lewis. I hope you don't mind me asking... Could you recommend a tripod. I think you may have said in the past so sorry if you have covered this. Sounds an awesome trip you are doing looking forward to seeing your shots.
May 7th, 2015
@bizziebeeme my tripod is the meFoto Roadtrip. It's 3.5 pounds but very compact and fits on side of back pack very well. I got mine around $120 or $140 something. Comes in lots of colors. It does come in a lighter version for a substantial cost increase. Handles beautifully and is a cinch to setup. It also acts as monopod. I'll try to find the original discussion when on my computer (on phone) because I know there were other great recs :) For travel, admittedly heavy, BUT it will work for everything I'm interested in so I don't see buying another for a long time.
May 7th, 2015
@rangerxenos it's worth it. I don't need to buy another bag!
May 7th, 2015
@bizziebeeme Oh and the 15 L was really comfortable. I just needed the extra front zipper storage for plane, etc. :)
May 8th, 2015
@darylo Thank you for all the info very much appreciated
Write a Reply