Technique Challenge 40 - Ghost shots

May 24th, 2015
DATES: begins Monday 25 May and ends Monday 8 June (midnight BST). I will post the winners later that week.

TAG YOUR PHOTOS: technique40

This is my first time hosting a challenge and I almost fell at the first hurdle as it took me quite a while to work out how to post a New Topic :( Please let me know if I've forgotten anything or done something wrong.

I've picked ghost shots as I'd really like to try one myself. This involves a slow shutter speed and probably some considerable trial and error (nothing new there then). A willing model would be good too, but it is possible to use your self-timer and be the subject yourself. The idea is to finish up with a kind of ghost-like see-through image. I hope I'm not the only one who thinks this might be worth a try! I found these two posts which might be useful: http://blog.muddyboots.org/2010/02/ghostly-effect-using-slow-shutter-speed.html and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4Dv4jlMd7s .

I'm really looking forward to seeing all your entries which will no doubt involve the usual creative and accomplished 365 shots. Please have a go. I've been on 365 for a few months and have entered quite a few of the challenges and learned such a lot, and enjoyed it!

Previous Challenges:

1. Low key
2. Motion blur
3. Split toning
4. Flipped reflections
5. Long exposure
6. Professional looking portraits
7. Mini portraits
8. Rim lighting
9. High/fast shutter speed
10. Vintage in modern
11. Double/multiple exposure
12. Forced perspective
13. Zoom burst
14. Multiplicity
15. Panning photography
16. ICM
17. Shaped bokeh
18. B&W
19. High key
20. In the night
21. One-light lighting
22. Refractions
23. Selective color
24. Tilt-shift
25. Into the sun/flare photography
26. white background
27. macro photography
28. Shooting blind
29. Framing
30. Light painting
31. Slow sync flash
32. Silhouettes
33. HDR (High Dynamic Range)
34. Minimalism
35. Panography
36. Blurism
37. Color Contrast (Complimentary Colors)
38. Diptych
39. Shadows
May 25th, 2015
Clare. Great idea and i thought this may be helpful. http://365project.org/discuss/themes-competitions/20030/csc-37-ghostly-settings
May 25th, 2015
Thanks Joyce @thistle. Hope there are some people who didn't get bored with this in 2013 and will have a go!
May 25th, 2015
I want to try this!
May 26th, 2015
I played with this for awhile today and this is my first shareable attempt. This is my daughter and newest grandson with me appearing in front of them as the ghostly apparition. I have another one I'm working on but I'm going to have to wait for my model to be available. Being my own model is such hard work. This is a lot of fun, though!
May 27th, 2015
That's great @razzmatazz. I need to have a go myself but am also waiting for a model to be available! Glad you're enjoying giving it a try. I hope some more people will have a go. I look forward to seeing the one you're working on :)
May 30th, 2015
Okay so I had a go. It was fun! And a 10-second shutter speed gives you instant ghost. I'm tagging it so there isn't just the one entry - but obviously I won't be voting for myself :) Please give it a try folks ...
May 31st, 2015
Here's a different kind of ghost ...

June 2nd, 2015
i've done quite a few of these over the last 3 years... i've found that a fair bit of trial and error is required to get the right amount of exposure... the image below from yesterday is a 20 second exposure... i was in the frame for about 12 seconds... 15 seconds was too long... i think 5 or 7 seconds might be too little... but like i said, trial and error is required... and what you're wearing compared to the background is also a factor... it's actually quite amazing, but in the right conditions, you could walk thru the frame of a long exposure quite slowly, and still not really show up in the image!

June 2nd, 2015
Thanks so much @northy for your explanation here - very useful - and a most effective shot!
Here's another one from me ...

June 3rd, 2015
Okay, I got mine done finally.
June 3rd, 2015
@northy It's so weird but so true...I could not get myself in the images I tried tonight. I guess I didn't stay in long enough. Once I danced and twirled for what seemed like a long time and still didn't show up.
June 3rd, 2015
I can only manage it at night atm - I will learn to do long exposure in the day soon - I hope hahahaha
June 3rd, 2015
@pistache @northy @razzmatazz yours are all so awesome!
June 5th, 2015
@razzmatazz I like the way your ghost shots are both so crisp, while being transparent
@annied Cool shot - nice sense of movement here, and an intriguing setting
June 8th, 2015
Here's me as a ghost on the Cobb at Lyme Regis
June 8th, 2015
Write a Reply