European 365er's?

May 29th, 2015
Hi European 365er's,

I'm heading your way tomorrow (Saturday) arriving Paris May 31.

Will be in Paris for a week then riding a pushbike along canal paths to Bruges, then heading to Stockholm and driving around that area for eight days, heading to Finland (Turku and Helsinki) then St Petersburg.

Any 365er's in those locations that want to try to catch up along my journey?

Send me an email to sidecarphotography at gmail dot com if interested.

I've got to try to do the 30 wild days whilst on the journey but continue and finalise my 364 portraits ...

I love meeting new people hence the 364 strangers.

It would be great to put faces to names where possible!

Cheers,

(BTW if you head to my profile and see the last I've uploaded is for April it's only because I've been really quite ill the last few months so although I have the portraits I've still to edit and transcribe. So unwell that this month I've actually missed days ... that's major because even in hospital three hours after surgery I was capturing my subject.)
May 29th, 2015
Will you be going through Germany? :)
May 29th, 2015
@justaspark possible ... email me ?
May 29th, 2015
Oh... too bad I am not in Saint Petersburg. But I am from there and I can tell you - lots of photo opportunities :) Wish you good weather and lots of fun on your journey.

@justaspark Where are you in Germany? I live near Stuttgart currently.
May 29th, 2015
@vera365 Sad ... for me but can you email me (?) to give me the heads up on what to do ... doing the St Peters Line Shuttle bus ... or should I do the organised tours? I am so NOT a do this now, do this then being told what to do type of person!
May 29th, 2015
Well, it's hard to say exactly how to better "approach" it. Saint Petersburg's downtown is huge, and the distance between one attraction and another attraction is always underestimated by tourists: wide river, lots of bridges, although there is plenty "in-between" the main historical buildings (there is basically almost no new construction in the city's downtown), if you want to take pictures of the "staples", it's a long trip on foot from one to another. On the other hand, if you do an organized tour, you might not have time to stop and enjoy picture taking beyond the tourist snapshots. I would definitely do one kind of "general" tour (bus or boat) to get a better feel of a town. And then just focus on the things you liked. It's grand... and it's big. And there are things to explore/photograph that are indoors (Hermitage museum, Peter-and-Paul Fortress with the graves of all Russian Tsars starting with Peter the Great), as well as outside. Our favourites with the kids that we HAVE to do every year are: climbing to the roof of the St.Isaak's cathedral to see the entire city from above (all the way to the sea), or going onto the "roofs" of the Peter-and-Paul fortress at noon to see the daily canon shot (loud and lots of fire!) that marks the noon-hour. Also cool - a tour of the subway, which has gloriously decorated stations (especially the downtown ones - e.g. the red line from downtown towards south, but also all kinds of others). If you will be in the city during the white nights (June), then definitely stay up to see the giant bridges go up and open, and the ships pass through. Oh my... just too many cool things.
May 29th, 2015
@vera365 WOW - that's more and so personal (the kind of thing I like) . As it's at the end of the adventure I really hadn't thought much about it but you've given me some WONDERFUL advice. THANKS! So will do that - a tour first and then pick the things. We arrive July 2 ... I'll google if the white nights is over ... sounds like it might be. thank you thank you thank you for your generosity of knowledge. I've got 5 weeks to get there so feel free for any other suggestions.
May 29th, 2015
Oh, it will be light enough to go for a walk though the whole nigh and be able to read without a light, since it is so far north :) The "whitest" night is June 22nd, and it will start getting a bit darker every day after that. But it's the BEST time to be there for pictures - incredible long evenings where it doesn't really get dark. Kind of "Golden Hour extended" :) Have fun!
May 29th, 2015
@vera365 Minden near Hannover, that's kinda far from you :(
@sidecar okay!
Write a Reply