Announcing Mundane Challenge - Stairs

June 27th, 2015
Hello Everybody!

Many thanks to Mona (@mona65) for hosting the mundane challenge corkscrew. I loved the choice (obviously) as it encouraged both serious and fun shots. As a result of P3 Rides a Dragon being selected for the winner of the challenge, I have the honor and pleasure of hosting the next challenge. We’ve had a LOT of mundane objects so it’s already been a challenge to determine a challenge that you would all enjoy. I’ve decided to select ‘stairs’ – there are so many different kinds and ways of photographing them that I hope you’ll find this fun to do. If you need some inspiration, check out all the stairs shots that used the tag 'stairs' over the past few years: http://365project.org/tags/stairs

You are free to use any photographic technique you like to capture this everyday object. The main rule; there can be no question the object of the challenge (i.e., stairs) is the star! You may enter as many times as you like, but your entry must be taken within the challenge time frame to be considered as a finalist.

******* Please tag your entries: mundane-stairs *********

The starting date will be Immediately: Saturday, June 27, 2015 and will run until Sunday, July 5, 2015.
Voting will take place from Tuesday July 7, 2015 until Friday July 10, 2015.
The winner will be announced Saturday July 11 as soon as possible (it will be Sunday for European time zone friends). I will be using Central Standard Time (Chicago time zone) basically but will try to be as generous as possible for those time zone related later entries.

You can check entries here: http://365project.org/tags/mundane-stairs
It would be great if you also shared them on this thread to help inspire others!

Thanks very much and I encourage you to take part in the challenge – it’s fun. Remember for this challenge to tag mundane-stairs so an not to be confused or overlooked.

Taffy

PS: The following is a list of objects used so far for the challenge: ice, toothbrush, screwdriver, veggie peeler, bar of soap, scissors, electric plug, paper clip, jar, language, cardboard, toothpick, hex key, hair comb, screw, button, key, coin, ballpoint pen, shoe, glass, plastic bag, thread, books, lightbulb, toilet paper, envelopes, door handle, tea bag, broom, tin can, egg(s), shoelaces, clothes peg/pin, wheel, mailbox, pill, bottle, chain, zipper, seed(s), vegetable(s), cutlery, playing cards, mobile phone, pasta, chair, camera, blanket, paper, rubber, tack, hanger, Index Finger, mouse (non furry), sock, bubbles, candles, bread and beds, tap ( faucet), strainer, match, umbrella, paintbrush/es, and corkscrew.
June 27th, 2015
This is quite a cool subject. I will have to hunt down some stairs!
June 27th, 2015
June 27th, 2015
@kathyboyles Thanks for entering one today! You got us off to a good start!
June 28th, 2015
Oh, too bad we still don't live in NH. That house had awesome stairs! Have to work on this one.
June 28th, 2015
Ooh great choice, I love stairs and have done so many in the past. Must hunt for some different ones!
June 28th, 2015
I might enter more, but this is my first.

June 28th, 2015
@tande What great use of high contrast! Thanks for entering!
June 28th, 2015

June 28th, 2015
@chrysanthemum So glad to see it here!
June 28th, 2015
Not part of competition, but a few ideas:
(1) regular stairs, but emphasizing symmetry
June 28th, 2015
Another idea: escalators count!
June 28th, 2015
And stairs can be the background for some other story or idea:
June 29th, 2015
June 29th, 2015
@stillcrappysailor What fun -- love the dizzying nature of this! Thanks for participating and posting in the thread!
June 29th, 2015
This is mine, taken at Bowes Museum Barnard Castle and also entered in six word story - "These Feet Were Made for Walking"
June 29th, 2015
Sam
June 29th, 2015
@barneyone I like your POV! Thanks for contributing to the thread!
June 29th, 2015
@gigiflower Thanks Sam -- I know you don't often do challenges, so appreciate the contribution and that you put it on the thread!
June 29th, 2015
Took a walk on my lunch hour today

June 29th, 2015
June 30th, 2015
Here's mine... kind of mundane, but maybe that is the point? ;)

June 30th, 2015
June 30th, 2015
@kathyboyles Wow -- that's surreal!! Great fun and well spotted and processed! Thanks for posting in the thread!
June 30th, 2015
@rosiekerr I love it -- literally mundane stairs, but perfectly focused and an invitation to wonder who is at the top of the stairs, just out of sight -- am I excited? worried? etc. Love shots like this!
June 30th, 2015
@chrysanthemum For some reason, this makes me think of Alice in Wonderland -- or some magical place. So fun to see this in the thread!
June 30th, 2015
@not_left_handed I love your processing! And so well spotted -- captures the feel of an urban area and the unique stairs we see in our fire escapes.
June 30th, 2015
June 30th, 2015
June 30th, 2015
June 30th, 2015
June 30th, 2015
Here's a plain vanilla:
June 30th, 2015
@francoise I laughed at your comment here! Terrific work with textures and line -- with that little twig sneaking out.
Thanks for contributing and posting in the thread!
June 30th, 2015
@gilbertwood Great! You were able to post in the thread -- many thanks for the contribution!
June 30th, 2015
@pamknowler THank you Pam for contributing both the shots and putting in the thread. Finlay is such an attention seeker! I love seeing him here -- like a visit from an old friend!
June 30th, 2015
@thirdjoe Yay Joe! Thanks for contributing to the theme with such a magical golden shot of the escalator! It makes me wonder where it might take me!
June 30th, 2015
Stairway to heaven:
June 30th, 2015
@vera365 Thanks Vera! I do love the golden tones.
June 30th, 2015
June 30th, 2015
Some fine shots on this thread.
June 30th, 2015
@ellisroger Thanks for contributing, Roger! I love the symmetry in this shot.
June 30th, 2015
June 30th, 2015
@chrysanthemum WOW!!! So well spotted and fabulous framing! A great example of making the mundane interesting! THanks for posting in the thread!
June 30th, 2015
Here's my Entry Taffy
June 30th, 2015
@janiskay Thanks Janice! I love your POV and feel sorry after working hard surfing the poor guy had to climb all those stairs!
July 1st, 2015
July 2nd, 2015
@chrysanthemum Thanks for putting it in the thread! Love the strong greens that seem to support the bus and the stairs!
July 2nd, 2015
July 3rd, 2015
@ukandie1 Thanks Andie, for including this in the thread! One of my favorite spots to shoot in the city.
July 3rd, 2015
Stairs at the 1820 Settlers Monument at National Arts Festival Time

Wow, @taffy Taffy you have your work cut out for you here, so many wonderful entries!
July 3rd, 2015
Stairs, African Style

July 3rd, 2015
@dibzgreasley This is wonderful Deb! The stairs as window is a great concept.
July 4th, 2015
A quick picture taken at our local hotel
July 4th, 2015
@salza This is really an elegant stairway.
Write a Reply