Senior Portrait Pricing

October 14th, 2015
So I had a coworker ask me today what I'd charge to do her daughter's Senior portraits. She was quoted either $100 or $125 for about an hour session and one outfit change in our downtown area. She wants a few different outfits and she wants to go to a pier about an hour away. When I asked my husband, he said $225. That seems steep. I was wondering what others charge. I know I have to take into consideration, my time doing the pics, the gas to get over there and the time editing photos and putting them on a disc.
October 14th, 2015
Call around to a few local studios to ask what they cost. The price varies greatly depending on where you life. But, I'd think that $125 would be sufficient. And ride with your coworker to the pier.
October 14th, 2015
@homeschoolmom I really don't want to do pictures for her anyway. She's the type that will nit pick EVERY little part of the picture. I had that happen before but with a baby shoot.
October 14th, 2015
Well if you don't want to do it, name the higher price and if she actually goes for it, give it your best shot. But if you really want to do it, negotiate with her on the fee so,it feels fair to both of you.
October 14th, 2015
Listen to the little voice inside your heart. There's no faster way to kill your love of photography than to force yourself to take on jobs that will make you unhappy.
October 14th, 2015
DbJ
I charge $185 for senior portrait sessions (session fee and delivery of digital images only). For family and friends (or friends of family & coworkers) I will discount up to 25% depending on how much I like them. ;-) Your reasoning for your pricing is sound. You probably have already done so, but I would recommend some online research to see what other photographers in your location are advertising so that you are neither too cheap nor too expensive.
October 14th, 2015
As she is fussy, forget the price and just turn it down. The hassle may erode any profit, friendship from the co-worker and stress the hell out of you!!
October 14th, 2015
If you really don't want to do it and want to price it to put her off make sure you really do price it high enough. I recently had a painting in an art exhibition that my husband didn't want me to sell, so I put a price on it that I thought nobody would pay, and guess what.............

one very disappointed husband!

Also, if you price it high and she does accept it he is likely to be even more picky.
October 14th, 2015
@froggie0628 The price sounds most reasonable, especially if you will travel, and have experience shooting posed portraits. But if you are uncomfortable with possible nitpicking from mother or daughter, I'd wonder why you might want to do this. As more than one other person above has already said.
October 14th, 2015
I started doing them this year. I offer 3 separate packages, but everyone here likes to get prints made for them. They don't want to have to go and get them made. I go through MpixPro and their prints are amazing and very professional. Only costs me $1.99 USD for an 8x10 and you can charge $10 (it's the going rate around here). In any event - I have packages ranging from $45-125. I strictly do them outdoor and I don't care how many wardrobe changes they do with any of the packages, but each package has a time limit. Like I said, this is my first year doing them so I'm just trying to get people. I've done 4 shoots (one was my daughter though).
October 14th, 2015
DbJ
After seeing Dawn's response I realized I forgot to mention that my fee is based on a two-hour session.
October 14th, 2015
@homeschoolmom @pandorasecho @lindasees @dbj @padlock @jantan @frankhymus @not_left_handed @dbj Thank you all so much for the information. I need to sit down and figure all this out. Its all very useful information!!
October 14th, 2015
Or just tell her straight out that you don't think you are interested.
October 15th, 2015
Pricing is really hard.

Never want to either under price yourself or price yourself out of the job.
Write a Reply