what do you shoot?

November 29th, 2015
how do you answer the question: "what do you shoot"?

everyone understands "portrait photography" or "landscape photography" or "wild life photography"... everyone understands about taking pictures of kids and documenting their lives...

i don't really do any of that except by accident...

when someone clues into the fact that i dabble in photography, the first question they ask is "what do you shoot"? and i have NO idea how to answer that... which ends the conversation pretty darned quickly...

sigh...

November 29th, 2015
@northy "Whatever I see when I see it."
November 29th, 2015
Pretty much anything that catches my eye, especially if the light is good - or it's nice and colourful ;)
November 29th, 2015
xo
@northy I understand completely. I'm just happy if they don't say, "I should have you shoot my wedding/family portrait/newborn." :)
November 29th, 2015
I second the motion for "whatever catches my eye." (Sometimes I try to explain 365project.)
November 29th, 2015
In normal discussions I sometimes say: “mostly light and shadow”, that leaves everything open. Occasionally when shooting outdoors I’m very happy with it, if the random „what do you shoot“-questions behind my back, do not lead into a long conversation. It interrupts my concentration, and what a dear friend summed it up ones, it disturbs my dialogue with the subject. So I tell them I’m shooting wolf spiders (small and harmless spiders, but people do not know),… and off they are.
November 29th, 2015
"Stuff." That usually ends the conversation. :)
November 29th, 2015
@frankhymus good answer!
November 29th, 2015
@northy - Just tell 'em u shoot anything that's avant garde!:)
November 29th, 2015
thingies
November 29th, 2015
Say. "I shoot mainly Fine Art images." If they then say "What are Fine Art images?" - give them an 'old-fashioned' look with one eyebrow raised thus putting them on the back foot. And if that tactic fails... think yourself lucky that you're not @graemestevens ;-))
November 29th, 2015
I detest that question as I can guarantee that any conversation will be over before it begins - and saying "let me show you" usually ends in tears...so @vignouse is quite right. If I'm lacking inspiration I'll shoot a landscape or two and then, as you know, skew it to look horrific, dark, forbidding. If Mr. Inspiration is playing the game and the meds aren't fouling me up completely, well then...I shoot my mind.
November 29th, 2015
@vignouse @graemestevens - i tend not to show anyone my work... i have a calendar of my own images in my office and no one... NO ONE... has ever said anything about it... not even: "hmmmm.... interesting..."

i am somewhat inclined to say that i shoot for the light, as @mona65 suggests... which sorta maybe works in some cases... but i don't like to do too much tech talk (unless speaking with someone i know is a real photog techie) as that feels rather pretentious... which is fine in some circumstances, but less so in others...
November 29th, 2015
You should say I shoot black and white, that is my theme and the subject matter varies. The challenge for me shooting this way is capturing the dramatic lighting presented to me each day. Now how do you explain Northy??? :)
November 29th, 2015
wow! I am shocked no one (but us all over the world) sees your work! it is so wonderful! I put all of this plus more up on facebook so everyone sees it! anyway back to the question most don't ask because they have seen it. those who I might meet in a new situation I just tell them since I am learning I shoot everything!
November 29th, 2015
@jackies365 well - my mom sees it... but mostly 'cos she stalks me here ;p and i think she has a few of her friends stalking me, but not sure... she knows i'm not comfortable being seen or talking about photography, so she's pretty good about not bringing up the topic... and i do give her a calendar (the same one hanging in my office that no one ever notices)...
November 29th, 2015
I am stunned that no one has commented about your calendar! It may be because it is so darned good that they think it came from a store instead of you! It may be because the people you work with are ........well l'll let others supply the adjective.
November 29th, 2015
@grammyn you're so sweet, Katy. The people i work with are great... but i expect they find my work rather incomprehensible... admittedly, not very many people actually have reason to enter my office (i tend to do a lot of meetings by phone, or i travel out to meet at others' offices), and those that do come into my office are generally all business... and possibly most would just assume, as you suggest, that it's a purchased calendar and i must have hidden weirdness...
November 30th, 2015
@summerfield hahahahahaha
November 30th, 2015
I shoot mostly nature shot in my backyard, the neighborhood, and in my town. I also shoot subjects that catch my eye. My favorites are nature fine art photography, macro shots (try explaining that to someone who does not know what that is), and nature abstract images.
November 30th, 2015
I love nature so that is usually what I shoot and if I'm asked, that is what I would say. I will shoot other things that are interesting to me or I think will be interesting to other people. I'm definitely not into portrait photography.
November 30th, 2015
I shoot whatever suits my fancy. My favorite is macro but I try not to limit myself.
November 30th, 2015
If I'm feeling rather impish I say, "I shoot every third person who asks me what I shoot, and the second one just left."

Since that is rare, I usually answer, "All kinds of things. I like rust, old stuff and mostly focus on the details." No one understands what that really means but because I say it so confidently as if they should know what I mean, and since they're embarrassed to say, "What?", they usually don't ask anything further. I don't mind people asking, but it is hard to explain what attracts you to take a shot or how you developed your style. As for you, I like some the answers suggested above. You are definitely an artist, so your answer could reflect that if you wanted it to.
November 30th, 2015
I tend to answer more with what I do not shoot! A favourite is 'I don't do people' and that usually stops everyone in there tracks. Very few people outside of 365 see my pictures. Although I did participate in an exhibition a few months back and some of those pictures are now hanging in a local art gallery.
November 30th, 2015
@northy I would totally be showing off my work if I were you. To me, your shots are black and white fine art - they are all highly artistic. Definitely some to be proud of!

@olivetreeann Ha ha! That's awesome! Too bad you don't feel impish more often! Perfect response.

Me, I just shoot whatever. I like portraits, though I have a lot to learn about lighting and whatnot before I'd feel confident to really shoot beyond my immediate family. Still, the main reason I got into shooting was to shoot awesome portraits of my kids and then I fell in love with the lanscapes and things around me. I struggle with grunge and non-attractive things, though I do see the art in them. I'm just not as strong in that suit - I tend to gravitate toward the pretty.
November 30th, 2015
Thinking about what you shoot, I would say "light"!

For myself, I have never really thought about it... a long while ago (when I first started taking photos), my 'thing' was close ups of flowers but I have moved on since then. Now, I shoot anything and everything, always with a view to making it look interesting to me. Even the mundane catches my eye.
November 30th, 2015
@olivetreeann like that answer
November 30th, 2015
I say "anything and everything"
November 30th, 2015
Oooh, @northy, it is such a priviledge then to be a part of that world that sees your work. Your work is A.m.a.z.i.n.g.!! I second @dibzgreasley 's suggestion... Light!!
November 30th, 2015
I say narrative photography and anything that moves.
November 30th, 2015
it's pretty easy answer for me, sea, clouds and anything with interesting light/shape. When you do more abstract stuffs, I guess you can say something about art, or abstract work, or something along these lines
December 10th, 2015
I'd say +1 to fine art photography and add that you lean towards the use of light / dark and texture to tell your story

Unfortunately when I tell people I shoot landscape and lingerie, the guys undoubtedly ask for pictures of "hot chicks"... and so I also dont tend to talk about it much outside the photography community lol
December 15th, 2015
Sue
Pretty much anything that catches my eye and looks like it will make a good photo.
Write a Reply