Reminder for Street challenge -13 !Are you interested in making the challenge easier ?

November 30th, 2015
Hello everyone!
I don't see many entries for the street challenge so far.But we still have time (one more week) and I thought how I can make the challenge easier and hopefully have more people participating.

What about "Street photography without people" ?

It would be still street photography,but about culture and life.
I like Eric Kim's explanation :"I feel that effective street photographs without people show the uncanny of everyday life, while showing remnants of humanity."
Look for something surreal;for faces in everyday objects ;shoot animals in provocative ways;look what's in the trash :) ...
Of course everybody is free to approach the challenge the way it best fits their interests and skills.

A definition of street photography copied from Catherine's original Street Challenge post.

Catching a fleeting moment WHERE THE PRIMARY SUBJECT IS PEOPLE, doing what people do, being what people are and which moves the viewer in some way.
Street photography is often B&W, but not exclusively or necessarily so. Contains a human presence & element even if it is architecturally inclined. Often defined as "Unposed scenes in public places": so, no street portraiture where the subject is posing - although they may catch you & look into the camera! It does need to be confined to overtly urban areas - could be a beach. Avoid heavy hdr processing, spot-colouring etc...

The challenge will start Monday November 23rd and last until Monday December 7th ,for two weeks.All entries must have been taken during that time period.

If you are new to the genre,it's time to overcome your fear and give it a go.If you are an old-hand,share your advise and inspire others to join in.
Here is a free e book by one of my favorite street photographers Eric Kim,who teaches how to face those "demons".
http://erickimphotography.com/blog/2012/06/20/free-ebook-31-days-to-overcome-your-fear-of-shooting-street-photography/

Have fun and I look forward to seeing your shots!

Tag your shots : street-13
November 30th, 2015
If anyone is looking for inspiration I have been listening to the podcast from http://www.shootingstreetshow.com/about-us/ the interviews are absolutely brilliantly conducted by the presenter Michael Meinhardt. It is so interesting listening to these experienced street photographers from arround the world.
November 30th, 2015
@my_photofun hey Darinka there are heaps of entries - http://365project.org/tags/street-13
December 1st, 2015
I love street and used to do tons of it... Haven't the time for it of late, but I'd be sad to dilute the concept... I do like looking at what others have captured in this category.
December 1st, 2015
@barrowlane Thank you for sharing the link,Rob!Wow,such talented photographers!
December 1st, 2015
@northy Thank you for your response! I mentioned this just as an option,maybe for people who never tried street photography.Of course everybody is free to interpret the theme in the way they like it.
December 1st, 2015
@my_photofun i posted above Darinka - there have been a lot of entries - do you not know where to look for them? you ignored my response and it showed you the tags
December 1st, 2015
@annied Thank you ,Annie, for stopping by!Of course I know how to check the entries,but I would be happy to see new people joining in.I thought an easier version could be a step to make them overcome the fear of street photography.
December 1st, 2015
@my_photofun apologies....it seemed to me there were a reasonable number of entries for this time of year...numbers tend to fluctuate and people do forget....i love when a reminder comes up to jig my memory
December 2nd, 2015
indeed... when we were doing the original street challenge 2 or 3 years ago, there were some weeks when there were only 5 or 6 participants... so 30+ looks pretty impressive to me... street photography is a real challenge for some - can be way outside the comfort zone... but i think this is what makes it interesting and, well, challenging!

@annied
December 5th, 2015
without people changes this focus (boom boom!) entirely - entry numbers go up and down but you dont just want to be flooded with pics which then make selection of finalists rather pointless - the point is to challenge people to have a go!
December 6th, 2015
@gozoinklings I didn't mean changing your original challenge,I only thought of a specific kind of street photography.Once suggested ,I tried myself capturing an image without people and I found that challenge being even harder! Just nothing effective came by.But I still think it's worth looking for such images. A great example you may be interested to take a look at http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5560dd5de4b0924f5e17c2ac/55d9b5e7e4b0d420c0e0a22f/55d9c477e4b016f1f05016c6/1440425658686/Matt_Stuart_New_Bond_Street.JPG?format=750w
December 6th, 2015
Ah. Was misled by your title about making the challenge easier. Shall look at this link when back home!
Write a Reply