Composition in Storytelling

February 7th, 2016
Lou
An interesting discussion of how visual artists can use composition, not just to attract attention or look good, but to convey meaning. This video is directed towards cinema but I think it applies just as well to still photography. The narrator talks about some of the first compositional skills we learn as photographers - rule of thirds, leading lines, negative space - but rather than explaining the technical reasons they work, he explains the different psychological effects they can have on the viewer. Worth a look!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=CvLQJReDhic
February 7th, 2016
What a marvelous tutorial! I was struck by how iconic some movie images have become which surely gives us much to aspire to! Thank you for leading us to this... I liked it enough to bookmark it!
February 7th, 2016
Thank you for posting this link... Definitely worth a look!
February 7th, 2016
Interestingly informative- thanks,Lou:)
February 7th, 2016
Very interesting.
February 7th, 2016
Fascinating information! Thanks
February 7th, 2016
thankyou for posting the link - the tutorial is a gem!
February 7th, 2016
That's the best use of 15 minutes of my time this year! Thank you so much for sharing this.
February 8th, 2016
Lou
Glad you all found it useful. I just watched his video on color and dare say I liked it even more. Have to share this one, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXgFcNUWqX0

@Weezilou @northy @joemuli @taffy @grammyn @ltodd @vignouse
February 8th, 2016
Thank you so much for these continuing suggestions! My strongest recollections in art school were in my composition courses, so the first video resonated the most with me. I loved this about color, but find, for me, it might only make movies that much more interesting in watching them. I'll have to think about how I can translate this second video...beyond desaturating a photo and selecting one color to stand out (not always used to good effect or heavy handed IMHO...) I'm always interested in what others will add here as classroom discussions are telling and informative!
February 8th, 2016
@louuncouth Yes Lou, this one resonated with me more than the one on composition, mainly I think because it introduced me to something I had never given the slightest thought to! I have a new respect for film-makers!
February 8th, 2016
Lou
@Weezilou I'm with you on the way it wil make me view films differently. Soon after this my family was watching something, and I was able to point out several ways comps and colors were used to develop characters. So cool!
I'm thinking the times we'd actually get to choose the colors in our photos would be in staged portraits and still lifes. A client might want us to convey a certain emotion or mood, maybe.
February 8th, 2016
Lou
@vignouse Neat, huh? I have been meaning to watch some Wes Anderson films for a while. You haven't had a chance, have you? I'm curious to know peoples thoughts about seeing such controlled sets in a movie.
February 8th, 2016
Too bad they don't follow the same rules for movies today. I find it hard to watch movies because I find them too busy and blurry.
February 9th, 2016
lnteresting background on the emotional side of color!
February 9th, 2016
Excellent video, thanks Lou.
Write a Reply