Condensation issues - help please

February 10th, 2016
Rob
Hi.

It's fairly cold in the UK at present but I am desperately trying to get a picture of a australian rainbow lorikeet at the zoo. The issue is there n a area which has very high humidity. So my camera fogs up. It's soo annoying seeing people using iPhones and other devices with no issues.

I have a canon l series lens so know this should be up to the job. But to date all that happens it's a foggy wet mess.

Any tips on how to over come this. All I can think of is warming the lens before I go in???

Thanks.

Rob
February 10th, 2016
I have the same problem when I go to our local butterfly house. If you aren't restricted on time the best thing is to spend a bit of time in there until the camera/lens warm up a bit. That way the condensation will gradually diminish. I always have a good, large cloth handy so I can keep wiping the lens/camera down. I guess if you can warm the camera/lens up a bit first that would have the same effect.
February 10th, 2016
Some of these tropical greenhouses in zoo's have a kind of "blower" at the entrance, mostly for people with glasses, who have the same issue as us photographers. For a non-coated lens I don't recommend it as you can blow dust into the lens but as you have an L lens and if there is one, I would use it to warm up the lens. Otherwise as Paula suggested, spent some time in the environment to get the lens acclimatized.
February 10th, 2016
Rob
@leonbuys83 @paulaw thanks for you're ideas. I did try hanging in there but there was so much moisture the camera body, viewfinder etc was turning into a mass of water. Not sure if it was just too humid???

Umm I might have to have a hot water bottle in the bag for the next visit then.....
February 10th, 2016
or put it under your jacket next to your body heat
February 10th, 2016
This frustrated me to no end on my cruise last summer. Hang out for a bit while it acclimates.
February 11th, 2016
Try putting it in a large ziplock bag before entering, and let it adjust to the temp before you remove it from the bag.
February 11th, 2016
Rob
@bill_fe thanks Bill. Hadn't thought of that.
February 11th, 2016
I have had the same problems with my video camera when visitint tropical countries. when I walked out of the airconditioned hotel, the lense would fog up and the camera shut down. i found the ziplock bag did the trick. It doesnt take too long for the camera to warm up. Other than that come out here to Australia and you can photograph them anywhere you like with no problem :)
February 11th, 2016
Rob
@cruiser ha ha now why didn't I think of that. Not sure if I could manage that in a lunch break though.
February 11th, 2016
As per @cruiser & @bill_fe . I had problem in reverse due to cold climate - found best solution to put camera lens etc. in sealed zip lock bag. Like suggested above have it some where warm like inside your coat (or maybe use one of those hand warmer heater things in your bag to push the camera bag temp up a bit). Basically you want the difference in the camera body temperature vs the butterfly house to be minimal. Equally on way out put it back in the zip lock & seal it up and let the whole thing return to normal temp before opening the bag. Noticed that I had way more problems than smartphones & even other cameras that were plastic bodies - I think because the alloy body of my camera was better conductor & condensation (well ice in my case) formed more quickly and thickly.
Write a Reply