Plus & Minus weekly critique - Weekly theme Colours in Nature

May 31st, 2016
Carrying on a weekly critique theme started by @myhrhelper - the goal of this weekly thread is to help us hone our composition and editing skills, as well as improve our ability to provide helpful constructive criticism.

This weeks theme is "Colours in Nature"

Rules:

Posting Rules:

(1) Post a photo that fits the weekly theme. It may be a photo you just took or a photo you took some time ago that you like.
(2) Do NOT post a photo if your feelings get hurt easily –
(3) Also keep in mind the comments are often someone’s opinion and their opinion may be different than yours so you may learn something or not.
(4) TAG your photo "plusminus-colours-in-nature"
(5) TITLE the photo you post so others can refer to the title when commenting.

Commenting Rules:

(1) You will make a plus & minus comment on as MANY PHOTOS as you would like to comment on.
(2) Your comment must include at least One positive comment of what you specifically like about the photo (No More than THREE positive). Generic comments such as “great shot” does not count as a positive feedback.
(3) Your comment must ALSO INCLUDE One improvement suggestion (NO More than THREE suggestion of improvement per photo per person). Generic comments such as “I don’t like it” doesn’t count as a suggestion of improvement.
(4) YOU MAY NOT COMMENT ON A PHOTO IF YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO SAY A PLUS AND MINUS ON THE SAME PHOTO. In other words something positive AND an improvement suggestion.
(5) Keep comments to photos relatively brief
(6) REFER TO THE PHOTO TITLE if provided when commenting

Previous themes:
1. architecture
2. portraits
3. black and white

May 31st, 2016
here's mine: "colour because..." i really don't know what to do with the greens and yellows...

May 31st, 2016
Struggling with greens and yellows in this one as well

May 31st, 2016
shot with 50mm of a peony outside in the shade.
May 31st, 2016
I am not going to weigh in on the color tones due to a blue green color blindness issue.

@northy , great try here. do not be afraid to actually take away some brightness here and see what happens if you drop the highlights, but nudge up the vibrancy a bit. I did put it against the black background and the sky seemed to be a little less lost with the white background.
@jaybutterfield i would not stress about the colors since the grass looks like grass and I would b e afraid that too much green would take away from the rabbit itself.
May 31st, 2016
@northy i dont think the colour is the issue with this photo, its the lack of a real subject! i know you were thinking to do an example but if you wanted to highlight the greens you would really have to zoom into the green area, and make more of them, I use some of the nik colour efex settings to alter greens if they arent looking right, you could try the foliage settings, or the sunlight ones if you have them, to either warm or cool them off. there will be other ways to do it too... @jaybutterfield same advice ghere, i think the item behind the bunny offers a bit unreal looking green, but bunny looks great.
June 1st, 2016
@phillyphotos @kali66 tx for the feedback... Kali - i'm dying to make a joke about the lack of a subject... pshaw - who needs one ;p but really - i haven't got it in me and i fear you are quite right! colour fx makes me a bit crazy, but i do know how to play with colours in LR - my eye is just incapable of gauging the results... as i recall, i added a fair bit of vibrancy here, but i think i did reduce the luminance which should have resulted in deeper tones,... sigh....

@jaybutterfield gorgeous rabbit - really like how you've been able to pretty much fill the frame with him... i really don't know what to suggest about the greens... but had it been me, i would have wanted to play with the light to deemphasize the light on top and to the right, and focus on the light in front of his face...
June 1st, 2016
@phillyphotos really lovely details and focus here... my eye is inclined to want a little more light in the centre :)
June 2nd, 2016
@northy I think this would make a pretty good start of a background but when I looked at it I thought the same thing I don't know what the focus or subject of your photo is except for a lot of trees. For me when I work with a photo with greenery (trees, plants, etc.) I typically bring the shadow to the right, the highlights to the left and then adjust the exposure as needed according to the meter chart (I forgot what that thing is called in Lightroom) Then I put the green sateration to the right slightly and the luminiance to the left (which you talked about in a previous comment). Then I do the same thing for the yellow. Of course this varies depending on the photo but when working with colors that is what I typically try first in Lightroom.
June 2nd, 2016
@jaybutterfield I like the bunny focus is very nice as I mentioned to Northy with the greens & yellows I typically put the saturation slightly to the right and luminescence to the left for those colors with greenery shots - that is just a general rule of thumb for me but what I actually do may change with each picture. I personally would try to do something to hide the hose in the photo - I would clone in grass but that is just my own preference.
June 2nd, 2016
@phillyphotos Overall I like it. The focus is nice, colors are nice - If it were my photo I would be playing with the crop of this shot - trying to keep in mind where the main focal point should be - in most photos I try not to have it smack in the center. But perhaps I would end up cropping it the same way.
June 2nd, 2016
@phillyphotos I like the crop how the petals enfold the centre, but agree with Northy that it could do with some light, either that or push the contrast to accentuate the darkness!
you might like this tutorial i found about lighting for flowers http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-create-gorgeous-flower-images-using-a-flashlight-and-a-reflector/
June 3rd, 2016

This was taken on a semi-flooded trail on the eastern edge of the Everglades.
June 3rd, 2016
@phillyphotos I really like the crop too and agree w/others about the light. My eye keeps drifting off to the petals on the left that have the brighter lighting. The colors and tones are lovely.
June 3rd, 2016
@jaybutterfield I really like the yellow and greens around the rabbit. The greens in the back I find distracting. Maybe a tighter crop? The rabbit lighting and tones work really well.
June 3rd, 2016
@northy I think the blues and greens are great. It's the light sky that takes me away from the deeper tones below. Maybe a crop without the sky?
June 3rd, 2016
@northy Hi...help again please...Now that I can upload to this critique, I haven't figured out how to tag a photo. Also, I gave the photo a name, but it doesn't appear on the posting. Thanks in advance.
June 6th, 2016
@granagringa When you first write a reply in the comments type the name of the photo - the information written from your original will not transfer over. So I write the name of the photo, type any other comments I want and then paste the code. When you first upload a photo you will see a section that says tags. If you want to add a tag go the little pencil toward the top of your image page under the image itself. Click on the pencil and it will let you edit an image - there you will see the section that says tags. I hope i wasn't too confusing.
June 6th, 2016
@granagringa I am always fascinated by under water shots - I want to see what I can find or see. This one is also interesting but if I would make a recommendation it would be to find something that is the subject of your photo, I'm not sure what I should look at.
June 6th, 2016
@myhrhelper Thank you so much both for the how-to info and your comments on the photograph. I love getting this feedback and seeing the same photo from someone else's perspective. It is so helpful. Thanks again
Write a Reply