any tips on a shot like this

July 23rd, 2016
I was just going for a quick shot of me and my dog. I'm having to trust a sit/stay in the woods to set this up so I don't have a lot of time to fiddle with the settings.

I'd have rather had the focus sharper though - any tips on how to go about that?

July 23rd, 2016
One idea is to put an object (like a rock) the same distance from the camera as the dog will be and use it to focus on. Then when you put the dog in sit /stay make sure he is about same distance from the camera.
Also, if you use a smaller aperture (f8 maybe) then pretty much everything will be in focus as the depth of field will be wider. May need to make your ISO number bigger since you will be in the woods and it will be darker.
THen take several test shots using the rock as your subject to get everything perfect before you stick the dog and yourself in position.
Good luck
July 23rd, 2016
@lisainstpete oh that's a good idea. It would be easier to concentrate on setting up the shot if I could stay tethered to the boy.
July 23rd, 2016
I'd do as @lisainstpete has suggested - the other option is to get a remote for your camera.
July 24th, 2016
Assume the camera is on a secure spot (tripod??, but not), Perhaps focus your camera, put it into manual focus then do your timer release.
July 24th, 2016
The only thing I would add to what Lisa suggested is that once you've got the focus and focal point set using the method she suggested, flip off the "auto focus" on the lens so it doesn't try to refocus when you trip the shutter with you and your dog in the frame.
August 2nd, 2016
Diagnosis:
Subject is darker than background right, which pulls the viewer's attention from the subject.

Consider flash to light the subject(s).

Or if you have image editing software, selectively lighten and sharpen the faces. Then add selective lighting to other areas so that the faces don't look like they have a spotlight on them. Plus, consider adding a vignette to focus the viewer.
August 27th, 2016
ok excellent suggestions. i did notice the leash to your friend was blocking the dogs expression. i would try to take a few more shots and possibly select a nearby locale where the natural light can place emphasis on the face of the dog. Bracketing may also help, but is not necessary.
April 2nd, 2017
i would of open it up 1/2 of stop in pic 2 i like the point of view
January 3rd, 2018
Great advice above :-) My eye goes to the top left bright spot, you could crop a little to remove it :-)
January 13th, 2018
I see that you used an F stop around 6.3. This should be good enough to get sharp focus. I would increase shutter speed to reduce blur and increase ISO to compensate for equivalent metering. Be sure to obtain focus lock on or very near to the subject for best results.
January 13th, 2018
@pixelegance thanks - good call
February 2nd, 2018
+1 for using an object to focus
Write a Reply