August '16 Word List

July 31st, 2016

Thank you to everyone that helped to put this list together.

Please note that the dates are just recommendations and you do not have to stick to them, you can use any of the 38 words in any order you like.
The tag for August will continue in the same format as before, first three letters of the month, the year and then ‘words’ (aug16words).

* So tag your photos with aug16words to see them all here:
aug16words

This is how I have compiled our list:
I first removed all words that have been used in the last 2 months. Next I totaled all the words that were nominated more than once. Then I added words that had date associations. Next, I randomly went through the words with one vote. If words did not have dates associated with them they were added randomly throughout the month.

The bonus words, which can be used in place of any other word in the month, are:
Birthday, Anniversary, Leo and Virgo (star signs), Peridot and Sardonyx (birthstone) Gladiola (birth flower)

Here is the list:
1 Rickety
2 Market
3 Dog
4 Blanket
5 Jeans
6 Ekka
7 Puddle
8 Flower
9 Sports
10 Family
11 Fun
12 Grass
13 Playground
14 Vacation
15 Beach
16 Clock
17 Coffee
18 Dark
19 Fashion
20 Ice Cream
21 Mysterious
22 Picnic
23 Relax
24 Wild
25 Back Light
26 Daffodil
27 Fire
28 Coasters
29 Crevice
30 Horseshoe
31 Reeds

I hope everyone has fun with the list.
July 31st, 2016
@debrac thanks so much once again for putting this together for us.
July 31st, 2016
You have kept this going so long. I really appreciate it
July 31st, 2016
Hi this is fun , I must ask what is
Ekka.
Dawnee
July 31st, 2016
Fabulous that you've kept @bulldog 's original idea going!
July 31st, 2016
@dawnee I really do not know. I Googled it, and it looks like it might be similar to a fair. Anyway, I figured I would use fair or carnival. It isn't celebrated where I am at. I believe it is in Australia.
July 31st, 2016
@debrac @dawnee - I am Australian and can't say that I have ever heard of Ekka. I looked up Google and this is what I found - https://www.ekka.com.au/ - it is the Royal Queensland Show.
July 31st, 2016
@dawnee @debrac @nicolecampbell Sorry for the confusion - that was my suggestion for the Brisbane and Queensland residents ☺
July 31st, 2016
Thanks also for a nice varied list Debra 😊
July 31st, 2016
@jld29 EKKA made it!!! I've not done this challenge.Is the idea to take a photo a day in August to include as many of the single words as possible?
July 31st, 2016
@30pics4jackiesdiamond Yes Jackie, I was very excited! I try to stick to the dates provided for each word but sometimes swap around to suit what I am doing - they are totally interchangeable ☺
July 31st, 2016
@jld29 thank you. Went to EKKA in 2005 when visiting bro in law ( whose visiting here now in UK cojncidently)m y kids loved it. My fave was chair ride over thegrounds and food tent and tree chopping and ............ Anyway great memories. You have to go now this year for your photo,hope not a chore!!!!!!!
July 31st, 2016
@30pics4jackiesdiamond My 11yo is just coming down with a cold or early flu, so hopefully we can go. Haven't been since 2013 as hubby was unwell last year (usually try to go every 2nd year, so doesn't become "a chore"!). I've loved wood chopping since I was a kid ☺
July 31st, 2016
Thank you very much Debra for a great list and your time spent.
July 31st, 2016
@jld29 It's totally fine. Ekka got a couple votes, so made the list. I thought it would be interesting to see what us Northern Hemispherer's came up with for it. I can think of a couple things to do, so I hope others put on their thinking caps, as well.
July 31st, 2016
Thank you Debra.
July 31st, 2016
The word for 26th is daffodil, but here in the western USA we have no more daffodil's this year because they bloom late march early april. But August is the beginning of dahlia season, so I will post a dahlia for that day and many others as well. You can never make too many imaged of dahlias.
August 1st, 2016
@chapjohn I am close to you John, so have the same issue. It is for cancer research and awareness. The American Cancer Society does the same drive here in the spring. I am guessing that those that nominated it live in the Southern Hemisphere where spring is starting. A dahlia works for me. I am hoping that I have some glads blooming.
August 1st, 2016
@debrac I was able to get to the Canby dahlias (Swan Island Dahlias) this morning and grabbed almost 50 images. The field is in full bloom, only a few plant did not have flowers in full bloom. Many buds still to bloom through August.
August 2nd, 2016
OK, I want to try to take part. I did not understand a word 1,6,29. Explain to me please somebody. I can do two pictures a day for the Challenge?
August 3rd, 2016
Phe
Nice! Thanks for doing this :) I've found that theme words help me develop my creativity and make each day of taking photos fun/exciting!
August 3rd, 2016
@olenadole Welcome. I hope you enjoy. 1) Rickety - would be something that is unstable, like a building that is about to fall in, or an old ladder that isn't safe. 6) Ekka - Is something that is only celebrated in Queensland Australia, I believe. It appears to be some type of carnival, fair, or other celebrations with rides, food, etc. For those of us that don't live there, we will have to use our imagination. It might be interesting if we post pictures of what we think it would be like, you can also use an alternate word, if you prefer. 29) Crevice, is a small crack such as you would find in a sidewalk, sometimes in a rock or other surface that became broken or aged. I hope that helps you. You can load as many photos as you wish per day or none at all. It is totally up to you.
August 3rd, 2016
@phe I am very happy that this can help you out. Have fun taking photos.
August 4th, 2016
@dawnee @debrac @nicolecampbell I am from Brisbane and Queensland, and the EKKA stands for our exhibition - shortened by us to EKKA as Queenslanders often do. It is 10 days of country life at the city, as well as showboats, rides, fireworks, ring events etc and really lots of fun for all. I am sure other places have the same thing, but only Queenslanders calls it the EKKA.
August 4th, 2016
@beachdog thanks D
August 4th, 2016
@beachdog Thank you to the clarification. I'm sure that will help many of us out.
Write a Reply