Friday night musing...

December 10th, 2016
Do you ever... find yourself searching for the exif info when looking at a picture in a magazine?
December 10th, 2016
And sometimes in a film...wishing they had a footnote for us.
December 10th, 2016
@northy @taffy I do find myself trying to work it out though and the shooting conditions and the lighting - it's a good exercise ;-))
December 10th, 2016
Have to say, I search! I am always fascinated by how the shot was achieved
December 10th, 2016
Haha, all the time!
December 10th, 2016
I am now looking at photos and thinking- ooh I think I know how they did that!!! I could do that too (with His camera at least!) That's because I've been doing 365 for 8 months and understand a bit. I
December 10th, 2016
Yep. All the time. I also do it on here and am so disappointed when they are not given or have removed in processing.
December 11th, 2016
You might try challenging yourself and come up with a best estimate before you peak. It can be an interesting exercise, but is significantly simplified if you have a handle on the "Light Values" of "standard" situations. Ken Rockwell has one of the nicest summaries of this. Yes, KR.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/ev.htm

The base 0 LV is the light that requires an exposure of 1 second at f/1 and ISO 100 for a "correct" exposure. Very dark actually. As an example, full open sun has a LV of 15 (15 stops up), and that number actually is the basis of the "sunny 16" rule - f/16 and a shutter speed of 1/ISO.

Of course, when you get the LV right, you have many combinations to get to the same LV, and that is a fun thing to consider too, or to work out what combination the artist actually chose for that LV. DoF or lack of it especially. And how high do I need to push the ISO to "stop" the action with a fast shutter?

Such little exercises can greatly assist getting a quick feeling for light, and then the variations that will give you the same EV. Especially if you want to go "M."

Focal Length though can be anyone's guess. Depends on the size of the sensor (the "crop" factor) and then with a high pixel count, further cropping of the frame will often zoom in even more,

Write a Reply