Lightroom Tutorials

December 10th, 2016
I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on the best Lightroom tutorials. Ever since getting my new DSLR, I have been using Lightroom for post editing and I really love it, but I have a tendency to use the basic panel and don't venture out too often beyond that. I have Martin Evening's book on Lightroom CC, but sometimes find that I don't understand the terminology. I often refer to myself as technically challenged. When I do have issues, most of my lightroom Tutorials have been free either through Julianne Kost or others and I have found these very helpful. I am now considering purchasing a tutorial package that would cover the basics such as organizing your photos in the library module all the way through everything that the development module has to offer. I would love to get some opinions on what I should buy. Thanks so much.
December 10th, 2016
i have yet to feel a need to go beyond Julianne Kost and what i can find on youtube... i did take a couple in-person LR courses a few years back, and they were fine, but didn't much stick with me... i'm pretty sure Julianne has a vid on the library module, and i've seen others on youtube, and really not sure that a paid module will get you something "more"... a book or guide might be helpful in terms of something to keep referring back to, but i'm afraid i don't have any particular suggestions there (although i'd be interested to hear if others do!)
December 10th, 2016
Tony & Chelsea Northrup have a printed book + digital book + training tutorials. Very easy to follow. https://northrup.photo/product/lr/
December 10th, 2016
I once subscribed to Scott Kelby.
December 10th, 2016
I used the Lightroom tutorials of Robert Morganti in You Tube. Very helpful.
December 11th, 2016
I started out reading through one of Scott Kelby's books on Lightroom and learned a lot. I also like Julianne Kost, though I've only watched one of her courses on Lynda.com. I use Scott Kelby's site mostly now, since I've been a long-time subscriber to NAPP (no longer a separate site, but he still publishes Photoshop User magazine). Never think about using YouTube for Lightroom, would be interesting to check it out as I'm sure there's features I don't know about and so don't use.
December 11th, 2016
If you like to read rather than watch and listen and also to have a comprehensive reference available on a moment's notice,like @fpmtngal, I find Scott Kelby's
book https://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Lightroom-Digital-Photographers-Voices/dp/0133979792/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481431472&sr=8-1&keywords=kelby+lightroom
can't be beat. II is arranged, like all his major writing, in short one or two page "projects" which suits someone who doesn't like to read continuous exposition.

If you like the continuous exposition (and a more formal style of writing) Martin Evening's https://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photoshop-Lightroom-Book-Photographers/dp/0133929191/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481431663&sr=8-1&keywords=lightroom+martin+evening
is certainly comprehenvie, but demands reading "consecutively" to get the full story. I find it a bit slow, and is a large book.

I'm not a video tutorial person, so really can't comment much, other than those I have listened to are mostly "hit and miss" and it's tough to find exactly what you want without a book's index...
December 11th, 2016
@northy @deborah63 @danette @joansmor @fpmtngal @frankhymus Thanks so much for responding to my questions. I think I'm leaning towards Scott Kelby. I went and watched some of his "teaser" videos and they looked quite good and seem to cover just about everything you want to know about LR.
Write a Reply