Qs re: going analog

December 10th, 2016
let's say, for the sake of argument, that i was prepared to shoot film and do my own developing... what would i be looking at in terms of time and equipment to get started?

i seriously doubt this is going to happen, but thought i would ask :)
December 10th, 2016
I am embarking on the same journey, with a lot of help from Louis @pickerandagrinner
of course you would need some kind of analog camera and some film,
black and white is easier i gather
you need a dark bag,, pattison developing tank and reels, your choice of developing chemicals, bottles and funnels for pouring chemicals, a thermometer and lots of water
A scanner to digitise your negatives once they are developed. unless you want to pay a lab to do that bit.

there are plenty of videos on youtube about how to do it, and there are phone apps to help which make the whole process very straightforward.
I am assured its easier than it looks at first glance and very rewarding... !
December 11th, 2016
Hi. I'm doing chemical photography this year. But I bring to develop rolls to a lab. I don't order paper copies only film developing and then a CD with images.

The first thing on analog photography is that you can't see the results until you develop your entire roll wich may contain pictures of some days. You might plann every shot and set the correct expossure.

I use a totally manual SLR with only the hint of a photometer thats tells me if picture under/over expossed or correctly expossed. I own a nikon FM2 with its contemporary 50mm lens that I bought on a second hand dealer.

Taking apart the equipment of your choice and the procedure I suggest to you to practice shoting some rolls, taking notes of shot, speed,apperture and place. Then you can check the results and decide. Bring the firsts rolls to a lab to see the results. On the second leg, If you decide to build your own darkroom, practice all the procedures again , before you decided to start again with the 365 project.

i hope this will help you.

December 11th, 2016
when you go you let me know, i have the camera, i have the films. i don't know what to do with them. maybe we go to the beaches when there are ice formations, oui?
December 11th, 2016
I've just given my youngest her grandmother's SLR camera and lenses as she's doing a short film photography course with darkroom skills next year! Good to see the ancient magic of analogue isn't dying. Unfortunately her course is in uk so useless for you Ms Northy

@summerfield you have ice on the beach??
December 11th, 2016
I think everyone who is serious about photography should try this at least once: my Dad taught me how to develop and print in B&W when I was 9 years old, which got me into photography... and here I still am 64 years later! Look on some of the auction sites, there are often complete darkrooms for sale - including enlargers - at a fraction of what they cost. You'll get better quality with a domestic scanner if you scan a large print rather than a negative.
Write a Reply