Do you shoot your 365 everyday?

January 14th, 2017
Just curious how many people actually shoot their pictures each and every day, or if you're just posting something each day, regardless of when it is taken?
January 14th, 2017
I have been doing 365project for 5 years. Health, weather, work, meetings etc. do not allow me to shoot everyday. However, I post images for everyday. This year I have 7 albums. I use four monthly lists of words and two 52 weekly projects and 2 albums are for me to do what I want. I try hard to post images made that month. I will sometimes ignore the word lists and post a series/collection of something.

It is your project and you get to set your own boundaries/rules for what you post.
January 14th, 2017
@tiffanyparadis My guess is this varies widely, and one of the key factors will be which year someone is in. When I did my first 365 project, in 2013, I held myself to a rule of taking, processing (what little I knew how to do), and posting each day. I carried my camera with me everywhere, every day. It was a huge commitment and it was really satisfying when I looked back at that year. It taught me the habit of photography and how to see - or look at the world - through a photographic lens. I also found, in that first year, that I developed friends/followers who were going through what I did and we really committed to commenting on each other's photos daily as well. That's been my foundation ever since, even though some of come and gone from their 365 projects. In Year 2, I was more relaxed but still tried to keep the daily project going. Sometime in Year 2 I started focusing on learning to use Lightroom and that meant focusing more on processing fewer photos than taking daily ones. By Year 3 and 4, I was more likely to skip days, sometimes let life interfere and took breaks, did photowalks where I then worked on the photos from that event for a week or two. So, I think things evolve and most of us run our projects to fit our photographic needs (and depending on what's going on in our lives). I can't imagine NOT doing 365, just can't keep up the unrelenting pace of Year 1.
January 14th, 2017
Life and work get in the way of me shooting every day but i do post every day and have done for 7 years now. Its still a diary of my life regardless of when the photos are taken or posted.
January 14th, 2017
@taffy That sounds very like me too! This is the start of my 7th year and for my first two I was very diligent. I missed only a couple of days all year. I love this community and the photographic diary aspect of it as well. So to continue with 365 I had to relax my rules a little more and now I take photos at least 5-6 days of the week but sometimes I'll post a filler from within a few days if I do miss a day. I wouldn't know how to leave 365, I would miss it too much.
January 14th, 2017
I do shoot every day. Just started year 3. Now with he work and the kids, I don't get to upload every day, and my pictures are kind of spread between big camera/small camera/phone, so it's a bit chaotic - the past year some pictures are still sitting on my hard drive or on the phone, still have to upload those. But I do make sure I took a picture before I go to bed. When I have time, and when the picture seems to be worth it, I do try to process it and learn a bit about how to do it. But on some days, it becomes just a documentary shot of the day.

At the end of the year, my favourite aspect is that I look back and can trace so many memories about what our family has been up to - exactly because I did take a picture a day.
January 14th, 2017
in my first two years, i was shooting and posting everyday, except for a day when the site was down overnight. third year, was almost the same, but i started to spread out my shots so i would be posting everyday but not necessarily something i shot on the day. i have always carried my camera with me. i'm on year 7 now and even though i don't shoot everyday, i still carry my camera with me. i have made a lot of friends here and i learned a lot here on 365. i've met a few people and they have become my good friends. i've considered leaving or at least just post once in a while but every time i try to, i just couldn't. it's like hotel california, i can check out anytime i want, but i could never leave. :-) but truly, this is my happy place and as i always say, everything i learned about photography, i learned it here. @kiwichick @taffy
January 14th, 2017
I'm on year 13, and I shoot every day. When things get busy, my shot may just be a cell phone photo. I also edit photos in batches, so I'm usually a month or three behind in getting them posted. After 4500+ photos, I have a lot of bad photos from busy days.
January 14th, 2017
Since I began on 1-1-2010, I developed the habit of taking photos daily and never leaving home without my camera. From the start I never put pressure on myself to post daily, and my photos are now something of a journal. While I might have done this on a personal blog, the community involvement is what keeps me here. I never take myself too seriously and my photo-record keeping is now one I harken back to. I may sometimes be away for a week or a month, but my photography now is a constant.
January 14th, 2017
I take photos every day, as my main purpose when I started 365 (I just began my 3rd year here) was to have a journal of my days; with a focus on the exquisitely mundane that happens every day. Occasionally a day goes by that I do not get a pic good enough to post; I will use a filler if absolutely necessary.

Last summer I was too ill to post my pics for a good part of 3 months, so I am happy that I had developed the habit of snapping something each day -- now I at least have pics from those days to go back to, and only need to post 18 more of them to finish up last year when I get around to it.

In Year 1 I took it very seriously and tried for a pic each day that was SOOC. Now that I am in Year 3, I am trying to leave photos in my 365 Album as close to reality as possible, but am allowing myself to edit my other pics all I want! I love the "Your project, Your rules" attitude here!
January 14th, 2017
I take mine the day they're posted for.
January 14th, 2017
I am nearly finished year 4
Year one I took a photo a day and posted it on the day
Year two I did it most of the time
Year three and four - well I love this site and while I post everyday - sometimes I need to catch up - the photos aren't always from that day - but I try mostly to stay within a week - unless I have a theme thing going because I have been somewhere interesting :)
The key is to enjoy and do what suits you - it is a wonderful feeling of accomplishment at they end of the first 365 - I made it!
January 14th, 2017
@Weezilou It is the community keeping me here!
January 14th, 2017
@annied Understood & totally agree! Not that I would plan to leave because I'm hooked on taking photos and it makes my days so worthwhile/such fun, but this is the only social media I have, and I keep it that way because we share a passion and we've come to truly care for one another.
January 14th, 2017
I've only been on here just under a year but I, like many, started out trying to shoot and post daily quickly became uninspired by what I was taking and moved to binging. Going out at weekends and then posting them during the week.

However over time I've seen how to create lovely images with just about anything that comes to hand so I do tend to shoot daily now - though I post images as and when I feel they are right to post - but never miss a day.
January 14th, 2017
I managed 3 years every day but my 4th year I have missed a few
January 14th, 2017
I don't. I shoot a few times a week as my schedule allows and spread them out. Sometimes I'll get on a photo-a-day kick and actually do it, but then others there's just no way. A lot of times, I'll shoot something with the intent to post it the next day. I do try to limit how far out I'll post a shot - like try to keep it in about a 2 week period. I don't want to be posting winter pics in summer, for instance. I guess I'd rather shoot and post something I'd be at least semi-proud of than to shoot something on the day just to say I did. I definitely admire the people who do shoot and post every day though!
January 14th, 2017
I'm pretty much the same as everyone else.
Year 1, I was diligent and posted a photo everyday. It was extremely satisfying to accomplish a whole year as I never dreamed how much I would learn from the site, when I started out.
Year 2, I tried for every day, but life and work just got in the way, so I mainly posted when I there was something I wanted to share, or involved in some of the challenges.
I've now just started year 3 and after being away from the community for 3 weeks, have only just started posting again. I doubt very much that I will post everyday, but I'm still looking forward to seeing what I can learn from my fellow 365ers and seeing what I can contribute in return.
I
January 14th, 2017
Wow that's great!! I tried a 365 a few years ago, and only made it till May, so really trying to push myself this year!! Looking forward to it! Maybe years down the line, I will be posting like the rest of you!!
January 14th, 2017
I'm just about to start year seven & like most people started off taking a photo every day but as you move on to following years I think I have given myself permission to post what I like regardless of when it was taken, I have earnt the right to do it my way!!
I learnt so much at the start from fellow 365ers who never stinted for advice in my search for better techniques of taking & editing my photos.
In the last few years my project has definitely become my photo diary of my life so consequently I am not as obsessed with taking 'the' photo although I do try.
It's all about the friendship for me now so am going to keep going the easiest way I can.
January 14th, 2017
Like @cottiac I'm coming to end of first year and still take a daily photo and I've become a bit of a photo bore to non photographers around me. Sometimes I upload a masterpiece ( well I think it is!) other times quick snap. I use themes/competitions for inspiration or copy (emulate?) others I see on threads. So yes, still shoot daily, not sure how many years I could sustain that though?!
January 14th, 2017
Yes, about ninety-nine percent of the time. I think I missed 5 days in 2016. I am a little lax in uploading the pictures to the website daily though--I usually upload 4 or more pictures at a time, particularly if I go on vacation. I also have a book printed at the end of the year with all my shots, captions and the date the photo was taken.
January 14th, 2017
I just started year two on the 1st and I'm still sticking hard to my rules:
- Each day's photo must be shot that day (but what time qualifies as "that day" depends on which way my strange schedule is going)
- If a day is missed (happened once or twice last year), I must take photos of something as soon as I get up and one of those goes to the previous day
- Photos can be processed and posted at any time

For me its not so much about quality or having excellent photos to post (though of course I do try). Its about accurately representing my year, even on boring, uneventful, or uninspired days. I've passed up a lot of "best shots of the day" for one that really fits the day. Its hard to do sometimes but its very important to me.
January 14th, 2017
For 18 months every shot was posted on the day it was taken and I didn't miss a day - but it was hard work and now I only post shots when I have taken them for other things and do backfill if I have been somewhere and have a variety of different shifts. I also used to comment and browse a lot more but I am just so busy now that a photo is often all I can manage - apologies for that! Still love the project and would encourage people to try a shot a day, taken and posted on that day, for a year. It does force you out of your comfort zone.
January 14th, 2017
As evident by today's postings, there are weeks when I take many shots on one or two days and use them all week. I also like posting in the mornings, so today's post was most likely taken yesterday. The one and only rule I have for myself is to have fun - and that is an easy goal with this wonderful community!
January 14th, 2017
@tiffanyparadis Hello Tiffany I am starting year 3 this month and like most people the first year I posted a photo a day that I took that day. Now I still carry my camera with me but I take more photos on the weekend and use them during the week unless I get something different during the week, this is a more relaxed approach which helps me to stay on the site. I love this site and have learnt so much from everyone, I wouldn't know how to leave!!
January 14th, 2017
I probably did 95% of my first year everyday. I did80% muy partial second year. Now I am with a new account and do 40% everyday since I am working more on curating a collection instead of daily skills.
January 14th, 2017
I am very new to Project 365 having only started at the beginning of January, and whilst managing to shoot and post a picture everyday, I can understand why some people find it a bit of a challenge.
Having recently retired I confess I joined so I could rise to the challenge and it helps me be more observant about my surroundings and photo opportunities. Not sure how I will be in 6 months time!
January 14th, 2017
I did it once, every single day for a year. I learned a lot and also spent a lot of money because that got me stirred up about macro lenses, tripods, remote controls, this flash thing I've never figured out.

then I took a bit of a break and just uploaded whatever I happened to be doing whenever I happened to be doing it if that makes sense

For 2017 I'm back to doing a shot a day because I want to force myself to break all this stuff out and use it.
January 14th, 2017
I'm new to this from 1st Jan and now feel much better reading some of these that I don't have to pressure to shoot every day so have put a couple up that were not shot on the day they are posted for. I was starting to worry about not getting a photo opportunity in so am much more chilled now and looking forward to the rest of the year. It will make me do more photos and also just being with my camera. Bring it on!! Also looking forward to seeing what other people do and being inspired! There are some wonderful ideas here.
January 14th, 2017
@happypat Seven years - I didn't realise you'd been here for seven years - amazing - I really enjoy following your project - it's full of optimism.
January 14th, 2017
I'm in year four and like others in the beginning (2013) I tried to upload a photo taken on the day. Now I really struggle and have big gaps in my project - but on the days that I don't upload I still enjoy looking at the photos of people I'm following and voting on the challenges. I still feel part of the community despite the gaps and have made many friends.
January 14th, 2017
ps Good luck with your project, Tiffany. Beware though - it's very addictive.
January 14th, 2017
A
I'm a little bit obsessive and can't let myself miss a day... Although if I did I'd just take 2 the next day and fill in that way :) Having just completed my first year, I can see that my photography has improved massively, particularly the more mundane, every day type of photography, and I'm a lot better at seeing in a photographic way, so shooting daily has helped in that sense. There are times when it can be a bit of a chore, or I don't have much time or motivation, but so far I have managed to get at least a photo taken every day
January 14th, 2017
This is my first year and first attempt at a 365 project. I am 49 photos in and it has been fun. I do admit that some days are much harder than others. Everyone has different goals which makes it cool. My goal for the project is that I take at least one photo every day, but I'm not concerned about uploading on the same day. I want the technical aspect to become second nature so I can concentrate on being creative. When I'm done with the first year I would like to have a project with a photo from every day of the year, not just 365 photos. If I decide to do a second or third year I may change my goals.
January 14th, 2017
I'm pretty much the same as @claycameras by focusing on the more journalistic side of things, even if it's journaling something boring. So yes I do take pictures everyday, and have for almost 6 years now.
January 14th, 2017
I was introduced to this project by Cally @cally in 2011 and started in Jan 1st 2012.

Since then I have taken at least one photo every day although it has become common for me to post them the morning after. This means I have now taken and posted 1,840 consecutive photos and I have no plans to finish.

At times it has been a chore but I appreciate the way that this project has made me open my eyes and see what is around me. I also have to thank my 365 friends for their comments, support and inspiration over the years.

Thank you 365!
January 14th, 2017
Like Keith Morton_D I only started this January, I did a 30-40-50 challenge a couple of years ago and found it hard, in that I was for ever trying to find new
themes. I managed the challenge in the end and decided it was a good learning curve. That is why I have joined this project to see where I go, If I can keep it up well that will be a bonus, if not it will not stop me taking photographs.
January 14th, 2017
I try to. But you know, life gets in the way. There are days where I take more than one photo. I use these extras as my fillers on days that I am unable to take any pic.
January 14th, 2017
My first month and I am trying to post a freshly taken photo every day but life is busy can't always find time, especially in the short daylight hours ( I don't do flash photography but I admire the ethos of daily taking and posting so I am restricting myself to 'fillers' if I have to use them of not over a week old!
January 14th, 2017
In my first year and so far every day. I mostly drag a DSLR about with me but some have been taken with my phone.

I find it a big part of the challenge - getting something out of nothing some days.
January 14th, 2017
Year 1 I shot and posted pretty much every day there may have been a few images that were out of sync but less than 1 weeks worth out of 52. Now in year 2 I shall post everyday but some will not be from the same day as I wish to try and improve my processing skills. That said 365 is an itch that needs to be scratched so if I see a shot I will take and post where possible. Ace membership is a big help in this respect as I can post more than one image a day if I wish :)
January 14th, 2017
@jocasta I am pleaseduyou still hang around ☺
January 14th, 2017
I have not taken a picture every day in ages and have had no censure for not doing that. Your project - your choice.
January 15th, 2017
Welcome to 365, Tiffany! I think that you will really enjoy this site. It is such a supportive and non-judgemental community.

I definitely try to take and post on a daily basis, but life got in the way over the last two months - and then my camera broke so that added to the issue.

I truly miss the times when I get behind but never beat myself up about it since the reality is that sometimes family and other commitments come first.

Do what you can, and remember that this is your project and your rules. But, be warned - this is so addictive that you will find that it is hard to miss a day! LOL!
January 15th, 2017
My first two years I did, but not now. If it becomes a chore, I know I just won't bother.
January 15th, 2017
I originally took a photo every day. I didn't post every day, but eventually I got it up there. When I completed my first year (I started in late July) I decided I would complete a full calendar year. I thought I would slack off after that, but I can't. I started in July of 2013, and I haven't missed a day yet.
January 15th, 2017
Seems I like most of the others...my first year, I pretty much stuck to a photo a day, but life got busy and things happened and it was okay...I still tried to "fill in" when I would miss. Now, I go on Saturday "shoots". My motivation is the fabulous people on this site! They offer amazing photos of their life and locations. I get to see that!! I also get to share my life with others through my photos. People make comments, you "get to know" some and your get to be an encourager and be encouraged! Sorry...realize this is more than you asked, but hey! that's what this site is for me! I wish you well in contributing to this wonderful community!
January 15th, 2017
The first year, it was every single day...even if I had to crawl out of bed to snap something...anything if the day had gotten busy. (I sometimes posted a day later.) I found it to be a wonderful experience...one of the best years I've had. It taught me to look at the world around me with a photographer's eyes everywhere I went. But I, too, couldn't keep it up. So, if you can....I recommend it. If not; well, I'm glad the community is still here even for those of use who come and go a bit.
January 15th, 2017
@bill_fe More power to you!
January 15th, 2017
@dsp2 Gotta give it to you for your dedication. Better than me, but inspiring. I also need to ask how you got that set up with all of your Popular photos being posted in one place? Help me out, as over the years, I have had a few and would love to get them together in one place. Thanks.
January 15th, 2017
I try to shoot everyday... but ive already missed 2 days this year so i uploaded the shots that didnt make the cut on the day either side of the photo i missed.
January 15th, 2017
@ggshearron Alexis Birkill (@abirkill -- He is a 365er) created a link so each user could have their PP photos all in one place. To view yours and/or if you want to give a link to it, the code that he created is
http://alexisbirkill.com/365project/popularpage/getuserdetails.php?username=

(You will need to put your 365 user name after the equal sign at the end of the above link).

To search for any other person's PP photos, you can use the link https://alexisbirkill.com/365project/popularpage/ and put their name in the search engine on that page ...It also was created by Alexis Burkhill.

I am grateful that he did this; I enjoy seeing which of my photos were well received!
January 15th, 2017
I'd say about 90% of mine were taken on the day. Some may not be uploaded on the day. There have been times when I've taken a few photos that I was particularly pleased with, so I might use about three of them for three days, even though they were all taken on the same day. This is my 4th year and i think I'll probably take less, but hopefully better photo's and may be get involved more in the challenges.
January 15th, 2017
I started in 2011 and for the first two years took and posted daily photos, then over the years I have drifted in and out, rarely able to leave this fabulous community for long but life does take over sometimes! I am now trying to post daily but not necessarily take a photo daily, in fact I am enjoying going though some older images and trying to improve my processing skills. This year I shall be retiring and have all sorts of exciting plans for the next couple of years so my camera will be in much greater use and my contribution to 365 should be more regular!
January 15th, 2017
I make a picture every day. I make more than one picture per day. The camera is always with me. I get a lot of experience and are very grateful to 365 project !!!
January 15th, 2017
I do it every day because I think it's important to document the good at the bad, and it forces me to take 5 minutes out of life :)
January 15th, 2017
I often love to shoot everyday, but sometimes my daily shot bores even me, but then find myself reminded of a memory and take advantage of that excuse to look back through old pictures as I might never do if I refused to allow myself to sometimes put in one from my history. I try to keep the majority current but go where the whim takes me.
January 16th, 2017
2107 is my 4th year on 365. I use my albums as a photo journal of what I do each day. If I don't take a photo special for the day I use outtakes of things that still might be applicable. If there's still snow on the ground I might post a photo I didn't use of the snow but not one I took in the summer of a hot and humid day. I have lots and lots of kitty photos that I can fill in on days I don't have anything shot. Still, my albums are pretty true to what I've been doing or thinking. That's just how I use 365. I'm sure everyone uses it differently!
January 16th, 2017
Last year I posted a photo taken on the day (with the exception of one day), sometimes I uploaded a day or two late, depending on where I was and the internet connection. I was determined to take a photo every day so took a camera everywhere and went to places I'd never even thought of going before. On the days I ran out of motivation the support from everyone here kept me going when I felt like giving up.

I didn't think I could keep that pressure up for another year but couldn't stop either, I'd miss it this place too much. So this year I'm more relaxed, still taking photos every day (it's a great way to document your everyday life) but posting photos whenever I've processed them, it gives me more time to learn and hopefully develop new skills, take part in more challenges etc. That's the plan, anyway!
January 16th, 2017
Yes ,I take a pic every day no matter what .on work days my photos tend to be quick snaps, and then I take more time on days off to look for something special to post . I like the discipline of having to take a pic every day ,makes my mind work a little harder.
January 17th, 2017
Thank you for this really great info.
This is my first year, 80 in.
I've taken a picture every day so far.
Some shots are mundane, like my life :) but I guess it's capturing...my life.
On the weekends I do go out when I'm able to and give more effort, with more time.
It has been a great experience so far.
I see the world differently and constantly find myself thinking...
That would be a great picture....
Really noticing my surroundings more.
Write a Reply