Any advice?

January 23rd, 2017
Hi everyone!

My friend is looking for a camera and might soon start a 365 project (hooray!) She's got a budget of £250 - 300 max (about $300-370USD) and is looking for a stills camera with video recording too. Ideally an entry level DSLR (second hand definitely an option) with detachable lens... Is that possible on her budget?

Does anyone have any suggestions, or could point me to example projects shot on, any cameras that she could look into?

Thanks so much! Hope 2017 is treating you well

Xx
January 23rd, 2017
Some of the art photography schools use Panasonic Lumix because it has great capability, but affordable.
January 23rd, 2017
@izzyromilly Hi Izzy, I started with no experience and a Nikon 3300 a couple of years ago, and we're still going strong...
January 23rd, 2017
@izzyromilly If your friend can live without a viewfinder, then there are plenty of used Olympus Pen cameras on Amazon and Ebay well within her budget. They are mirrorless micro 4/3 compact system cameras.
January 23rd, 2017
Hi,

A D3300 with kit lens would be a good place to start, but might be a bit over the GBP300 mark (don't live in the UK, just looking at Amazon). If she did go down this route, the 18-55 VRII has a good reputation -- there are several versions of this lens (non-VR, and the mark I -- which doesn't have the "II").

Daria shoots with a D3200 -- https://365project.org/chirikova/365

The sensor should be sound -- she'll be missing out on more advanced AF, only has one control dial, buttons do double duty, etc.
January 23rd, 2017
A
I use a D3200 which I got (with a kit lens and a second lens) for about £350 a couple of years ago - with just the one 18-55mm kit lens it would have been more like £260. That was when the D3300 had come out, so the price of all the older models had gone down. If your friend goes for a model that isn't the very latest, it will be possible to get one new within the budget, and looking on Amazon there are loads for sale second hand that are cheaper.
Hope this helps :)
January 23rd, 2017
The cheapest DLSR starter kit would be from Canon... either the current 1300D or its predecessor the 1200D - both should be within her budget and she'll have a system she can build on.
February 10th, 2017
I have a Nikon 3300 and I love it. I was a complete beginner last year but this camera has helped me to grasp the basics and a bit more. It has a HELP button that gives you suggetions if something isn't working and when you change the aperture and shutter speed there is a diagram on the screen that shows the lens opening and closing, which is great as visual reminder, because as a beginner it's very confusing. Another good thing is it gives you an explanation of the modes when you change them. I am still learning new things about the camera and doing this project was the best thing to do as a beginner. I have just bought a flash, so now I have something else to learn!
Write a Reply