Flash of Red - 2017... anyone want to play?

January 23rd, 2017
for those new to 365, we seem to have evolved a tradition of shooting black and white (;p) for the month of feb, with a flash of red on the 14th...

usually someone (not me) has organized this with weekly themes, or working from a photo instruction book for shooting in b&w...

just wondering if anyone plans to do that this year?

i can't for the life of me find a previous thread on this, but here's what my calendar view looked like in 2014

January 23rd, 2017
@vera365 tx :)
January 23rd, 2017
Sounds interesting! Count me in :)
January 23rd, 2017
I'd love to give this a try this year :)
January 23rd, 2017
Sounds like fun.....I'm not very reliaible but I will give it a try!
January 23rd, 2017
I'd like to participate - might be more than one flash of red in my month! Feb is in a way a bad month for b&w so I shall have to run lots of colour in another album!!
January 23rd, 2017
I am up for doing Flash of Red again. It's been a while since I did any black and white so this is good timing.
January 23rd, 2017
I'd like to do it - might get me taking a photo a day again.
January 23rd, 2017
I loved it last year and was hoping to do it again 😀
January 23rd, 2017
I would like to join in!
January 23rd, 2017
I loved doing this last year and was thinking of doing it again this year. Great fun to do it together and wonderful to see other people's ideas.
Will there be a tag we can use to see all the pics together?
January 23rd, 2017
i intend doing it in concurrence with film february, assuming that will be going ahead as well, i like doing a whole month black and white. the themes were helpful at times, @olivetreeann are you planning any themes or book study this time?
@peterdegraaff are you running a film february this year?
January 23rd, 2017
I did it a few years back and liked it. Count me in!
January 24th, 2017
Count me in, I have done it for the past 2 years and learned so much!
January 24th, 2017
Well. Black and White is indeed favorite of mine, but to insist it is the ultimate, I am afraid I don't buy that. In a sense, color is much more "difficult" to pull off. In B&W you only have to worry about exposure differences, and you can, indeed, manipulate those, per the "color" and the grayscale mix in the original, that you can get a reasonable composition no matter what. With color, you have to compose with the color contrasts in mind, as well as the tonal contrast, as well as the composition within the frame, and you have much less leeway for post-adjustment, since the color as well as the tone need to be dealt with.

"Good" color is difficult. I claim the "adequate" B&W is comparatively easy, by contrast....
January 24th, 2017
And indeed, I find "selective color" (the touch of red with all the rest monotone in this case) not the most effective either. It is, for me, more than a bit, gimmicky. I'm sure others might disagree, but I find the effect almost always a bit cheap.
January 24th, 2017
@frankhymus good heavens - who said black and white is "the ultimate?" Not me - at least not recently... I'd be the first to tell you that I do black and white because I can't for the life of me get colour to look as I want it to... as for selective colouring - there are definitely some different perspectives - but it does kinda make the monthly view look cool :D
January 24th, 2017
@northy Are you planning to run Flash of Red this year Northy? I was about to organize it, but if your heart is set on it, I don't mind passing the torch.

@kali66 Yes, I had planned to pick out an ebook this week. I've started one, I just want to make sure it has good themes for us to work with (always optional). I'll wait for Northy's response, and then get going if she'd like me to do it. And I'll collect everyone's @'s to notify them when/if I get it going.
January 24th, 2017
@frankhymus you could always shoot red on red instead
January 24th, 2017
@olivetreeann ack no - I don't want to run it... I just want to play :). Do please go ahead and organize...
January 24th, 2017
@kali66 @frankhymus or pick your subjects so they are black white and red :)
January 24th, 2017
Oh, yes! I wanna participate!
January 24th, 2017
not sure if I will be able to follow if there are weekly themes but sure sounds like fun to try :)
January 24th, 2017
Count me in!
January 24th, 2017
Count me in!
January 24th, 2017
@northy Okey dokey!
January 24th, 2017
I would like to join in. I look forward to learning something new.
January 24th, 2017
@northy @olivetreeann Thanks for getting this going this year! Always a fun project.
January 24th, 2017
@kali66 For sure!
January 24th, 2017
Sam
Yep, I'm doing a month of B&W in Feb so will be joining in :)
January 24th, 2017
i'm willing to give it a try so count me in, please.. :-)
January 24th, 2017
Count me in too - always love this month. Thanks @northy and @olivetreeann
January 24th, 2017
@olivetreeann
count me in please ☺
January 24th, 2017
I am just back after a hiatus and need motivation so please put me in too.
January 24th, 2017
I really need to get back into taking a photo a day-ish, so please include me & though I've been terrible lately I'd love to give it a go :)
January 24th, 2017
Count me in! I love B&W and any tips welcome!! If I don't manage to get a photo every day can I put one in I have already taken so I could get some feedback?
January 24th, 2017
I always look forward to it - I'm in!
January 24th, 2017
I want to play! Someone make some decisions and I'll follow along 🐶
Thanks @kali @northy
January 24th, 2017
Sue
I'm up for giving it a go. Count me in please.
January 24th, 2017
Please count me in. Thanks!
January 24th, 2017
Count me in!
January 24th, 2017
@frankhymus I got tired just reading all the variables you listed LOL I can see your point, though. For me, Feb Flash of Red is a good chance to force myself to see photo opportunities in B&W. I'm sure there will be color in my Alternates album, though.
January 24th, 2017
yep, I'll try and complete it this year, such be fun :-).
January 24th, 2017
I will definitely go for this again. It really helps to focus on B&W - (pardon the pun) lol.
January 25th, 2017
I'll do it. It is the one challenge that I normally manage to finish. I'm leaving internet contact tonight for a few weeks so I am not going to be able to use the book.
January 25th, 2017
@mcsiegle Sorry to bore you with reality. :) Like I said, and I stand by it, B&W is actually pretty easy to render effectively with a good editor. Photoshop. Lightroom, DXO or Silver Efex from Nik. Many routes to take it when you only have to consider the greyscale mapping and (perhaps) exposure values but you can always subvert that with the greyscale mapping. It's color that is actually difficult to do well.
January 25th, 2017
@northy @frankhymus For the life of me I can't, just cant do colour!! I do think though that to have a style of your own and to be creative in b and w isn't as simple as putting them in a good editor. Dont know about Northy but my edits are my own result and not just clicking a preset button. Hoping to join in!
January 25th, 2017
I forget to read the challenges so looking forward to having a go at this - not done many b&w shots either so should also learn something too! Do we just download it as normal into our album?!
January 25th, 2017
Would love to join in. I did it last year and loved it.
January 25th, 2017
I will be doing it again. Thanks.
January 25th, 2017
I'm not sure how many suitable subjects I'll actually be able to find, but this seems fun! I could really use some b&w practice so I'll give it a shot.
January 25th, 2017
@newbank Color is hard, good composition and careful developing just two difficulties..

And no, I don't just click a preset to make B&W. That was actually my point, there are so many ways to render a B&W because you can map the underlying "colors" almost anyway you want into tonal values across the histogram. This "play" with the greyscale map is actually a very useful tool to help you begin to "see" B&W possibilities, if you find that troublesome, tonal variations that is, even if you don't use it in production developing.

B&W being "developed," too, tends to take sharpening, contrast variations (super high to super low), variations in white balance before you convert, and @northy and my pet effect, negative clarity which really is mid-tone blur, much more readily than color. You only have "tone" to worry about, avoiding any color "clashes."
January 25th, 2017
Count me in!
January 26th, 2017
I am interested!
January 26th, 2017
@vera365 @northy @carolineb7 @m2016 @ruthmouch @quietpurplehaze @salza @jocasta @annied @domenicododaro @pamknowler @kali66 @emrob @radiogirl @homeschoolmom @meowtographer @hvansteenburgh @slash @ncnewfiegirl @taffy @gigiflower @jorlam @rachelwithey @barneyone @sjodell @mandygravil @linnypinny @brigette @suesouthwood @cristinaledesma33 @tracys @mcsiegle @bizziebeeme @kiwinanna @teachntravel @newbank @lyndamcg @thistle @la_photographic @claycameras @tabarlett

I am overwhelmed by the response for this year's Flash of Red February! I am looking through a few books and making a decision asap. As soon as I have the info (no later than Saturday) I will post all the info etc. on the discussion board and tag you so you'll see it. I don't know how I'll keep up with all of you, but I'm looking forward to trying!

@lyndamcg Yes, it runs like all the other challenges. You upload to your own album and if you'd like you can post it on the weekly discussion thread too, but that's optional. There will be a tag for the challenge and that will be included in the upcoming post with all the other info.

@frankhymus I cannot tell whether or not you are interested in doing this Frank. If you are, let me know and I'll add you to the list of @ tags. As for the selective color on the 14th, that has always been optional, and in the last two years you could choose whatever color you wanted. You may think it is gimmicky, but as Northy pointed out, it does make the calendar view look pretty cool- which was the whole intent of it in the first place. Like everything else on this site, people have the freedom to adapt any given challenge or theme to their own likes and projects. So should you decide to do a month of black and white and tag it for Flash of Red without the selective coloring that's perfectly fine. Your project, your rules.
January 26th, 2017
yay!
January 26th, 2017
I was hoping to combine flash of red February with the usual February monthly word list...could be interesting!
January 26th, 2017
@olivetreeann thanks for organising 😊
January 26th, 2017
Sue
I will give it a go and do my best, seriously need some motivation.
January 26th, 2017
Can't wait.
January 26th, 2017
@olivetreeann thank you!!!!
January 26th, 2017
@olivetreeann I would love to join in. I would enjoy just using the B&W setting as my primary mode for the month with the change on the 14th for adding the touch of red. Thank you for hosting.
January 26th, 2017
@olivetreeann count me in too.
January 26th, 2017
I'm in please @nanderson
January 27th, 2017
@lilacphotography @skstein @jld29 @sioux @joysabin @skstein @nanderson

I've added you to the list! Stay tuned...
Write a Reply