Rainbow challenge 2017

February 21st, 2017
Hi everyone,

We're into the last week of Flash Of Red February, and you may remember that last year for the month of March, a bunch of us did the Rainbow Challenge for some colour after all the black & white.

The theme was started by @dishaparekh176 last year, and the original discussion is here:
http://365project.org/discuss/themes-competitions/27371/rainbow-challenge

I'm not sure if Disha's still about? She hasn't posted in a while...

The idea is that you post a different colour of the rainbow each day, cycling through the seven colours, and at the end of the month, your calendar view should look something like this.

I'm just using mine as an example, it was by no means the best calendar view that came out of it - there were some really stunning collages by others at the end of the month.

Anyone interested in carrying on the tradition this year? I'm going to anyway, although I might forego indigo and include pink after violet this time.

The tag would be rainbow2017, and because March 1st falls on a Wednesday, the order of colours for the first seven days would be as follows:

Mar 1st: Yellow
Mar 2nd: Green
Mar 3rd: Blue
Mar 4th: Indigo (or violet)
Mar 5th: Violet (or pink)
Mar 6th: Red
Mar 7th: Orange

It would be great to see a few others jump in on this, it was a lot of fun last year :)

February 21st, 2017
I'm not sure if I'm ready for another challenge. But I'm really longing for some colours.
February 21st, 2017
@mona65 I know what you mean :) Last year, I did this challenge in one of my extras albums, because it's hard enough some days to post an image, let alone one in a specific colour! So I'd take images of coloured things whenever I saw them, and relax the 'post on the same day' rule a bit...
February 21st, 2017
I will give it a try. It sounds like fun. Kathy
February 21st, 2017
Sounds really cool! Like to give it a try!
February 21st, 2017
@mona65

Ditto, ditto, going to try!
February 21st, 2017
Sounds really cool. I will give it a try
February 21st, 2017
Definitely thinking about it! Thanks for the reminder!
February 21st, 2017
Oh why not?? I'll give it a go, make a change from banw
February 21st, 2017
I've done this a couple times- it's always fun and I love the way the calendar looks at the end of the month. I don't remember if I did it last year- I'll have to go look! And I always have a tough time with indigo! But it should be a fun follow up to Flash of Red.
February 21st, 2017
MB
I love this idea. I will try it!
February 21st, 2017
Sounds like fun after all the B&W of February!! I'll give it a go.
February 21st, 2017
Last year my rainbow month shows up in April - I'm definitely ready now! Must have been running behind last year. Again, I'll do it for my Odds 'n' Ends album and shoot them when I find the right colors as Mel suggested. Loved the final effect.
February 21st, 2017
I joined in last year but posted the same colour for the week it seems - or something like that hahaha
Have a few ideas for March but will join again if I can
February 22nd, 2017
I must have missed this last year. I'll give it a go!
February 22nd, 2017
I will give it a shot!!!
February 22nd, 2017
I would absolutely love to participate in this challenge,but i have just a snag in the middle of the month due to my illness im going to have a short stay at the at the hospital, so if no one is against me playing a lil a catch up when i return home i would be ecstatic to be a part of this. Please reply if this would be a problem otherwise i will assume it's ok to go forward and i will give you all a heads when i will be out commission for just a short time. ThankYou Jules
February 22nd, 2017
Yes, I am definitely in! I loved to look at last years rainbows, so I will participate for sure. Looking forward!
February 22nd, 2017
@jak0913 That's fine Julie - there are no rules so whatever works for you :)
February 22nd, 2017
I've always admired these but never tried it. I think I'd like to do it this year.
February 22nd, 2017
Count me in :)
February 22nd, 2017
I'm in. I think I did this last year, too, but like Annie, I think I did a week of each color. I'll try to do it right this year! LOL!
February 23rd, 2017
I expect I'll probably fail miserably but this seems like a fun challenge!
February 23rd, 2017
I did it last year and loved it. I'll give it a go again, not sure if I'll be able to finish it, because we're heading of in our caravan in the middle of March.
February 23rd, 2017
Me, I think

Once I did something similar for the colors mentioned in the song from Technicolor dreamcoat. I can't remember what year or whose idea it was but it was fun.

And this month was just color studies and a panorama
https://365project.org/pandorasecho/365/2012-08

February 23rd, 2017
I'll try. Might not post on the exact day, but will try to get the colors to line up. They were so beautiful last year!
February 23rd, 2017
Jo
Glad you are taking this on - I did the challenge last year and it was a challenge but fun. Glad you are changing indigo - I had a hard time with that color.
February 24th, 2017
Looking forward to it!
February 25th, 2017
@m2016, As I am thinking about this challenge I have decided to do my photos in square format. What do you think about that idea?!
It is a bit more challenge because people don't do it so often. It might require cropping, and the composition is quite different (grid can help while photographing), but in the end, the calendar might look so much better... since the thumbnails are square... I have been doing it with my hearts this month and it became much easier to think square!
February 25th, 2017
@cherrymartina I get what you mean, square format is definitely tidier when you're thinking in terms of a calendar view at the end... it's a good idea. I might also try to make mine as square as I can for the sake of the overall view :)
February 27th, 2017
A lot of great ideas here and happy to carry on Disha's initiative. I did participate last year and it was fun and like Mel mentioned, if is one that can be more casual in an additional album. Last year I took it a bit further and did selective color for the color of the day and I had fun with it.
February 28th, 2017
Kas
@m2016 I did this last year, and it was quite a challenge indeed! However, after a month of B&W, I need some colour - so going to do it again. Thanks for hosting! Looking forward to some bright colours!
February 28th, 2017
@mona65 @kathyboyles @cottiac @quietpurplehaze @salza @dianen @30pics4jackiesdiamond @olivetreeann @tahoemb @pamknowler @milaniet @annied @yorkshirekiwi @froggie0628 @jak0913 @cherrymartina @teachntravel @stephanies @homeschoolmom @claycameras @merrelyn @pandorasecho @irisn @jo38 @ingrid01 @brett101 @wag864

Ok guys - are we ready for the explosion of colour lol :)
Tomorrow is day 1 and we start with yellow, then green on Thursday and so on. Can't wait to see everyone's images - have fun!
February 28th, 2017
Looking forward!
March 1st, 2017
Do you want them posted? @Mel
March 1st, 2017
@kathyboyles Well we were going to use the tag rainbow2017 but as always, anyone is welcome to share here on the thread too :)
March 1st, 2017
@m2016 Thanks for the reminder- yellow in the works!
March 1st, 2017
Thanks for the reminder Mel. I was just thinking that I must look at the original thread to check which colour today was.
March 1st, 2017
Thanks -- shall give it a go !!
March 1st, 2017
I will give it a go as well. Aching to shoot some colors now.
March 1st, 2017
I'm going to give it a shot.
March 1st, 2017
I'll give it a try!
March 1st, 2017
Looks interesting. Just seen this, but as my picture today was yellow - perhaps I should continue on the theme.
March 2nd, 2017
I'll be joining your rainbow month.Thanks!
March 2nd, 2017
@egoodine. Look above for a go on a he rainbow 🌈 challenge
March 2nd, 2017
I would love to join as well! Today was a rainbow picture...so, I'll just be sure to hop on board for the rest of the month! Great idea, thanks:)
March 2nd, 2017
If you want green to fall on St. Patrick's Day (Friday), you should start with orange on the 1st.
March 2nd, 2017
Sounds like FUN! I'll give it a try.
March 2nd, 2017
@dianen thank u so much!
March 2nd, 2017
I'm In! Off to find something GREEN
March 2nd, 2017
I'd like to try this too.
March 2nd, 2017
I'm in! (Starting a day late, although there is a smidge of something close to yellow in yesterday's pic.)
March 2nd, 2017
@beryl @pej @carolpre @frantackaberry @helenhall @genealogygenie @lilacphotography @jetr @studiouno @egoodine @randystreat @hvansteenburgh Delighted to see more people joining in :) Looking forward to your images, don't forget to tag: rainbow2017
March 3rd, 2017
I am giving it a try also. :)
March 3rd, 2017
looks great!i have already posted 3 shots for March(one in black n white) but i guess it s not too late to try it :)
March 6th, 2017
@m2016 so I have noticed, last month I was so aware of light and texture but suddenly this month I'm interrupting every conversation to say, "look at that red, yellow etc" this challenge is changing my whole focus on the world already.
March 16th, 2017
Mel - I've never done this one before but I'm really enjoying it, so just want to say a big thank you for this post.
March 16th, 2017
Apologies @pandorasecho I must have missed the notification for your comment - I'm exactly the same lol, the conversations in our house at the moment are pretty much this:
'Can I eat the strawberries?
No! I need to photograph them!
What about the sweetcorn?
No!
...I suppose an orange is out of the question...
March 16th, 2017
You're very welcome @cottiac - I'd been looking forward to rainbow month all through B&W February and I saw that nobody else had started a thread so I had to keep the tradition alive lol. I'm really enjoying all the colour on 365 at the moment, and having a sneak peek at how everyone's calendars are looking so far :)
March 20th, 2017
I am loving looking at everyone's rainbow month starting to take shape. They look amazing! I'm definitely going to join in with this one next year!
April 1st, 2017
@m2016 I finally got all caught up and finished the month for this Rainbow month. I did not see my name posted here and I still need to learn how to take a screen shot to post my calendar. I have a Mac so I don't understand the directions to do so. Can someone help please?
April 1st, 2017
@eardeng Hi Elaine, I posted an updated thread so people could share their calendars - https://365project.org/discuss/themes-competitions/29584/rainbow-2017-post-your-calendars

I must have missed you when I was tagging people, I'm so sorry! I don't have a Mac myself, if you post a quick question on the new thread, hopefully someone will be able to assist?

April 1st, 2017
@m2016 Thanks Mel...I think I finally figured it out and will post it on the new thread.
Write a Reply